TKR Almost 5 years post RTK, still having issues

How many times a day should I be doing the heel slides?
I have the very article for you! Heel slides and how to do them
If I limit the prescribed exercises to once a day, what should I be doing in between to keep the knee from getting stiff? Are frequent trips to the bathroom and kitchen enough?
It won't get stiff - that's a myth. It's the too much exercises that makes the knee stiff. And I found trips around the house on an 'as needed' basis are quite sufficient.
How often do you recommend that I ice and for how long?
When ever you're resting, ice and elevate - simple as that.
he got tired of buying ice daily (our fridge doesn't make nearly enough in 24 hours
I never bought ice! For my icing bucket, I used some 330ml drink bottles. 4 in all so I always had two to swap over. Never lugged the bucket around either, just took the two bottle out of the bucket - in a plastic carrier bag so it didn't drip all over everywhere! - and changed them over for the two in the freezer. Simples!

Alternatively, I had some big gel ice packs in the freezer too. Two of them also.
 
Wow!!! Thank you everyone, this is
such a great forum I am learning so much from all of you that i'm going to be really ready when it's time for my surgery
@Josephine you are great . Thank you for taking the time to answer all of our questions and concerns .
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I read the official medical sites--the ones that tell you you can ride a bike and dance after 6 weeks--and was feeling like a complete failure as I am still in the "I wish I hadn't done this" phase.
Wow, that sounds just like me. I had my TKR on June 15th and after just a few weeks my home health PT was talking about all the patients he has that are walking a mile and riding a bike in just a few weeks. I wasn't and I felt like such a slacker. Then I found this forum and it was such a relief to read all of the exceptional advice.
I also had the problem with my right foot after the spinal block. Half of my foot felt like wood. But it is slowly getting better. No one would admit that it had anything to do with the surgery, though.
I am sure you are going to be just fine. As for the recliner, wish I had one to sleep in, I have just stacked pillows all over the place. If you are comfy in it, get that needed sleep.

Good wishes,
Chris
 
I have been reading so many amazing threads and learning so much! I've not been good about updating mine though. I am now at 7 weeks and 2 days post-op and feel like I am finally making some progress. I have followed all your advice and limited my home exercises to heel slides and short walks. I do more when I meet with my PT, but she has been good about listening to my knee, too. My flexion was 118 the last time she checked it and the extension is 0. @snowleopard -- I had intense pain on the outside of my operated knee until I slowed down the exercise and iced/elevated more. The downside to the resting is a decline in my stamina, but I think that will improve as I slowlincrease my activity level.

We took a 200 mile road trip this weekend to a conference in Omaha, NE. We stopped once for me to walk and stretch, and I was able to tolerate the whole ride sitting in the front seat. I did bring pillows in case I needed to get my leg elevated in the back seat, but I was able to wait until we got into our hotel room. I brought an ice pack and was able to keep it frozen in the in-room fridge and some gallon bags to fill with ice from the machine. I would spend a couple of hours at the conference and then would take a break to ice and elevate. We have another short road trip late next week. I am feeling more confident that I can do the California trip after Labor Day. We did decide to fly to the wedding rather than add 2,200 miles to the drive and we will have a few days between our return from CA and leaving for NC. Thanks @Kansas Teacher for the encouragement!

I drove for the first time on Monday--to PT--and it was good to be able to get out without relying on others. My husband took our 11 and 6 year old grandsons fishing in northern Minnesota so I am on my own for the week. I went to the grocery store today (using an electric cart). I am grateful that I won't need to use the cart forever, though. Too many items are not reachable without standing up repeatedly, and that takes lots of energy that I don't have. I even shopped for half an hour at Kohl's using my cane. I have missed being able to run errands and do some fun shopping.

I will be so glad when my knee finally returns to its normal size! I have only three pairs of pants that fit over my knee. I am used to living in jeans, but the heavy fabric irritates my scar and most of my jeans are too tight in the knee. I looked at the "badge of honor" page and am jealous of those of you with barely visible scars. Mine is still purple and all of the staple holes are still purple, too. I have been using a scar minimizing cream, but no results yet. Does anyone have anything that has worked well for them?

@SDkate -- where do you live? I am in Sioux Falls. I haven't seen any other South Dakotans on the board, but I haven't read everything, either.
 
I looked at the "badge of honor" page and am jealous of those of you with barely visible scars. Mine is still purple and all of the staple holes are still purple, too. I have been using a scar minimizing cream, but no results yet. Does anyone have anything that has worked well for them?

Pure vitamin E oil. A one-oz bottle costs about $7 for the generic store brand, and I've used about half of the bottle. I left it alone until the wound healed over, and gradually started working it gently in, esp. after a shower. Now I usually hit it every day. Bear in mind that my knee is about 2-1/2 weeks older than yours, but I'm thrilled with the results so far. It's faded to a white line in some stretches, and is mostly just a light pink. I show it off to anyone who will look, and have had some medicos who were impressed by it.

Let me know if you try it, and what you think.
 
Your scar will fade with time. It can take as long as a year for it to turn white, but this will happen, even if you don't put anything on it.

Don't put anything on the scar at all if there are still any scabs or slightly open areas.
 
@SDkate -- where do you live? I am in Sioux Falls. I haven't seen any other South Dakotans on the board, but I haven't read everything, either.
Hi Kathy! While reading your post, I saw that you said it was about a 200 mile trip to Omaha, so I figured you may be in the Sioux Falls area as well. I live on the east side of Sioux Falls, and I'm a grandma too! Looks like you're about a month ahead of me as far as recuperation. We've talked about taking a road trip to Minneapolis to visit Jim's son over an upcoming weekend, but thinking about sitting in the car that long makes me nervous.
 
I'm glad your recovery is going well enough that you're comfortable with your travel plans. That is wonderful news.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Pure vitamin E oil. A one-oz bottle costs about $7 for the generic store brand, and I've used about half of the bottle. I left it alone until the wound healed over, and gradually started working it gently in, esp. after a shower.
Don't waste your money! These are two scars which had NO lotions, potions or creams applied at all.

This was my sister's hip at 12 weeks

[Bonesmart.org] Almost 5 years post RTK, still having issues



And my first knee at 4 months

[Bonesmart.org] Almost 5 years post RTK, still having issues
 
I am at almost 8 weeks post-op. How long will the operated knee remain warm/hot to the touch? Some days it doesn't feel so warm, but tonight it feels almost hot--especially along the scar edge, and it feels tighter. It was very sensitive to fabric touching it today. It doesn't look any more red than usual so I don't think it is an infection. Any words of wisdom @Celle or @PolarBear60 ?
 
I can tell you my OS said the knee could stay warm for up to a year. My scar was sensitive and I could only wear soft pj pants. I had gray ones that I even wore to work when I went back, so my scar was sensitive 12 weeks out.
 
Thanks @KarriB ! It is reassuring to know that others have had the same issues. My OS didn't mention anything about the knee feeling warm, and I didn't think to ask earlier.
 
Thanks @KarriB ! It is reassuring to know that others have had the same issues. My OS didn't mention anything about the knee feeling warm, and I didn't think to ask earlier.
I didn't either, and tonight my knee is feeling very warm. It seems to be more warm when it's more swollen, which it has been today. I had a couple of minor outings today, but I haven't been icing today either, so that's probably the problem. The warmness feels weird.
 
That's because to him it's just part of the normal healing process. And this varies so much from person to person - what we here tend to refer to as a 'how long is a piece of string' question! :heehee:
 
Yesterday, as we were heading out of church, an older women was trying to enter using the handicap push button. She wasn't fast enough, and the door started to close on her. She took a big step backward, lost her balance, fell into me and we both took a dive. Thankfully I fell backward and hit my hip and head, but I didn't fall on my knee. Shook me up--her too. We were both being careful and walking with canes, but stuff happens. Now I have a sore hip on the left to accompany my sore right knee plus a headache. Today will be an indoor day of rest.
 
Six weeks out today, and my knee pretty much stays warm. Good news is feeling has returned to the medial portion, so just the outside is still numb.
 
That was my big worry, falling. I'm not the most graceful person and find it hilarious when anyone falls, including myself. It can be embarrassing. I did fall a 6 months after surgery and it was in slow motion as I tried to,fall on my left side and not my right. Then getting up...ugh! How did you manage to get up? Glad you weren't hurt though.
 
@KarriB -- we were talking to another couple (it was our 45th anniversary and they congratulating us), so I was turned to the side--the only thing that saved me from falling forward and hitting my knee. My husband and the other man each grabbed an arm and helped me up, thankfully.
 
I fell in the garden once. A plant was leaning over so I got a rather old and weathered bamboo cane and tried to push it into the ground to support it. I was bending right over, one hand almost on the ground and it snapped and I lost my balance. I was wearing sandals so as I staggered forwards intent to regain my balance, the sandals got stuck in the earth and plants making me lean over more and more! After a few so-called steps, I reach the edge of the concrete path. Now I'm thinking, 'Oh no - don't let me land on my knees on concrete!' and kept on staggering forward, front and face almost parallel with the ground, until I reach the steps where I finally lost it and fell heavily onto my outstretch arms! After a few moments to get my breath back and assess my situation, I tried to get up and couldn't - I put my hand down on the top step and tried to push myself up and nothing. I tried several times but the push just wouldn't seem to transfer through to my shoulder. I thought I'd broken my collar bone but there was no pain so that couldn't be. I tried shouting for help but our living rooms are at the fron of the houses and with double glazing, no-one could hear me. In the end, I had to scuffle myself over (in the muddy earth!) onto my other side and tried with my other arm. It was a little better but still had to actually KNEEL on the concrete to get myself up! It was agony! But i got indoors and found my arm was just flopping. Rang for an ambulance but by the time they got to me, I was over the shock and feeling a bit foolish as I had no pain, just a floppy arm. Turned out I had sustained a massive tear in the muscle across the back of the shoulder, the one that's principally responsible for pushing on your hand! It took weeks to get better and has never regained full strength.
 
@Josephine -- what a scary fall! I tagged you because I want you to know how much I appreciate all the advice I see you giving everyone on this board. And the articles are so valuable. It must take lots of your time, so you obviously know how important your work here is. I don't post too often, but I keep up with several threads of people who had surgery near or earlier than I did--not to compare, but to understand how the process can unfold.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom