Guest viewing is limited

THR AllNat’s First THR (Righty's Road to Recovery)

Well, I think I may have finally joined the ODIC. :swim:

I had hydrotherapy this morning, and it was going so well that I did some extra reps, especially of the step-up/step-down exercise that is so much easier to do in the water than on land.

Now both of my hips and thighs are sore, especially my left hip, which has significant osteoarthritis and I no longer consider to be my "good hip". I've taken an Aleve and I'm hoping that a good night's sleep will help alleviate the pain.
 
Oh dear, it’s easily done. We all join the ODIC at some point, so you’re in good company. I have no experience of hydrotherapy myself but have heard that it’s easy to overdo things in water post op.
Rest and ice, and dial back what you’re doing the next time you’re there. You’re still early on in a year long recovery and I’m sorry that the other hip is painful too.
 
How are you doing today, AllNat?
Overdoing it in the water is very common. I hope the Aleve and some sleep helped. Try icing if you're still hurting.
It's a great pain reliever. :ice:
I hope you feel better soon!
@AllNat
 
I had a good sleep and woke up yesterday feeling much better than I did on Tuesday evening. I took it easy and just read my book, watched the birds at our birdfeeder (two cute baby cardinals were adorable visitors and were inspirational in how determined they were to become stronger fliers), and did some minor tasks around the house.

I wasn't able to ice because our fridge's freezer has been on the fritz since our street experienced a power surge issue on Saturday (I wanted to console myself with some ice cream, but it was more like sweet, fluffy soup :cry:). Still, we were luckier than our neighbours, some of whom lost major appliances like their air conditioners, which is especially bad given the very hot temperatures that we had yesterday and today (today's high was 30°C, feeling like 41°C). :thud:
 
I appreciate the advice about increasing my icing time (20 mins/hr was what was suggested to me), and also the info about how much fluid I should be drinking and why (I had thought of it only as a way to avoid constipation; the idea of flushing stuff out of my system had not even entered my brain). Thank you!
 
@AllNat
Same here, very hot and humid. Then back to more reasonable temps after tomorrow.
Happy your feel better after a good nights sleep.
 
Hello @Capscards
Welcome to BoneSmart! I'd like to invite you to start a thread and tell us a little about yourself. Wondering if you've experienced joint replacement, or you're scheduled for a procedure? We'd love to offer you the same support you see other member's receiving. Please join us!

Here is a link to check out Insider Club membership -> Become an Insider
 
Just a quick update at the tail end of week 12, so that I have this information recorded as part of my journey and can refer to it when it comes time for the THR of my left hip.

Last Sunday I rode on public transportation for the first time since more than 7 months. It was what's called a GOTrain here in Toronto, and it was a bit of a mobility adventure, given that our home station is not accessible. I had to climb down a long flight of stairs and then climb up another long flight of stairs just to get to the train platform, which I did one foot per step, i.e., left-right-left-right, regular stair climbing. Then---although we went to the section that was painted to indicate where the accessible car would stop---the platform was at a lower level than the train, which meant that I had to climb up two steps to get into the train. That was tricky because the first step was quite a bit higher than regular stairs---more like the distance between ladder rungs. My left leg wobbled and almost gave out on that steep first step, but I stayed upright. Phew!

The other first that I did last week was that I got behind the wheel of our vehicle for the first time since the day before my surgery. I had been very nervous about it because I would occasionally practise moving my right leg side to side while riding in the passenger seat (or even while sitting in our living room while watching TV), but climbing in on the driver side wasn't a problem (it's a RAV4, so nice and high), and using my right leg to operate the brake and gas pedals was as natural as ever. Even after Thursday's 1-hour aquatherapy session, my leg felt fine while driving home (I was worried that the workout might leave my leg too sore to drive).

Huzzah! Two more steps toward independence! :happydance:
 
Great progress for less than 3 months post-op!
 
Glad you're doing so well, AllNat. Thanks for sharing an update with us.
Sounds like there was a lot of stair climbing involved with Sunday's outing....and you did it! Good for you!
Congrats on getting back behind the wheel again, and doing so comfortably. It's wonderful to regain that independence. A great week to you. :wave:
@AllNat
 
Yesterday I had my second follow-up appointment with the OS. Nothing much to discuss about my right hip, as it's doing really well. The surgeon requested x-rays of both hips, since I had mentioned at my first follow-up that my left hip was starting to cause me more pain and was giving me problems while I was doing my walking to rehab my right hip. Well, yesterday's x-ray showed that the osteoarthritis in my left hip is looking severe, so I have been booked for a hip replacement on that side for September. I have duly updated my signature.

I'm looking forward to a less fearful lead-up to that surgery now that I have the experience of one hip replacement under my belt. :fingersx:
 
Hi AllNat,
Great news that the Right THR is recovering nicely. I wish you strength and comfort as you continue healing and move toward your next surgery. Since you experienced this procedure such a short time ago, I hope it gives you confidence going into the next joint replacement in September. Soon enough you'll be enjoying life with two healthy new hips. Stay in touch, we'll be here for you through it all. :)
@AllNat
 
@AllNat
Sorry to hear your other hip needs replacing as well but might as well get it done and recover both side more or less together!
And you have experience on your side so you already know the challenges you might face with recovery.
In any case, we will be right here cheering you on!! If you re on bonesmart you are never alone on your journey!
 
Thanks for your good wishes, @Layla and @myglasshalffull ! There was an earlier date available for the surgery---July 4---but I said it was too soon. Not that I wouldn't like to get rid of the pain in my left hip, but I really need some time at my husband's family cabin first, and my hubby especially could do with some time away after the months spent nursing me. :loveshwr:
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary, Righty!
I hope your week is pleasant one. :)
Take care!
@AllNat
 
I'm nearing the end of week 17 after my 1st THR, and I'm happy to report that my summer is going well so far. Two weeks at my husband's family's cabin were not as active as I would have been able to manage in previous years, but that wasn't just because of my hip recovery; we had extreme heat during the first week (humidex readings in the 40°C range) and wildfire smoke in the second week. I tried walking on sand with my cane, but I definitely am not stable enough to do that confidently yet. Not to mention the sand was stupidly hot, and I'm not in the physical condition yet to be able to run quickly into the water to relieve my feet. But, as they say, a change is as good as a rest. :heehee:

In the last few days I've had more and more moments when I've walked around the house without my cane. In fact, wondering where the heck I've left my cane is becoming a typical experience. :what:

This morning I woke up feeling really good and have not used my cane all day. In fact, for the first time I did almost half of today's 1.2 km walk without relying on a cane! I did carry it with me in case I had any weak moments, which I did thanks to the left hip that I'm awaiting surgery on, but it was a great feeling of progress. During the walk my left hip started to feel twingy after a while, which I have learned that I can mitigate by placing my left hand at the side of my hip and pressing my thumb at the hip hinge and my middle finger near the base of my glute; I suspect this hand position has an effect similar to the support that people feel when they wear a knee sleeve. No doubt I look a bit funny, but it definitely makes me feel better and helped me complete my walk.

Question for people with THR experience: When I'm walking without a cane, I feel that I am swaying slightly from side to side as I'm taking a step and shifting my weight from left leg to right leg. I don't feel as though it's a limp (i.e., I think my torso is remaining level and I'm not conscious of any dramatic motion in my hips while taking my steps). Is that swaying a normal thing when learning to walk after a THR?
 
Question for people with THR experience: When I'm walking without a cane, I feel that I am swaying slightly from side to side
Are you using the heel-toe walking technique we shared with you in post $45 and still having this problem? If so, it sounds like your gait is "off." You might want to get a gait assessment from a physical therapist. He/she identify what the problem is and help you with techniques to correct it.
 
:wave: Hi AllNat,
Thanks for the update! The extreme heat and smoke can spoil fun at the family cabin for sure. Sorry you had to deal with that. Sounds like you're making some progress transitioning away from the cane. :thumb:
I tried walking on sand with my cane, but I definitely am not stable enough to do that confidently yet. Not to mention the sand was stupidly hot, and I'm not in the physical condition yet to be able to run quickly into the water to relieve my feet
A word of caution. As you likely noticed, your gait changes while walking on sand.
It's more of a workout. Beach sand provides an unpredictable and uneven walking surface. This can place increased stress / strain and loading on your joints. Walking in the softer sand requires increased energy expenditure, forcing you to work harder, compared to walking on an even, firm surface. The foot will sink slightly into the sand. This will provide the least amount of stability, which forces you to use muscles throughout your legs more.

Is that swaying a normal thing when learning to walk after a THR?
There may still be some weakness at only 17 weeks post op. This recovery can take a full year and you're only a little over four months. It takes time for the soft tissue to settle in with the implant and begin working smoothly. Do you feel you may be favoring at all, given your deteriorating left hip, and it's throwing off your gait, causing the swaying? If it improves with time, it's likely part of your recovery process so I wouldn't be concerned. However, if you are experiencing any pain or any instability, it would be worth mentioning to your OS. At this point it seems it may be because as one hip is in early recovery, the other is failing.

With another seven weeks to go until the Left THR, I wish you lots of comfort, AllNat.
 
Back
Top Bottom