Guest viewing is limited

THR AllNat’s First THR (Righty's Road to Recovery)

Happy to hear the shower and wound check all went well. Feels so good to shower!
I wouldn’t be too concerned about staple removal. I had staples as well and I’d say maybe a couple coming out were a little more noticeable than the others. But honestly it felt so good when they were all out cause I could feel them pulling on my skin last few days before they were removed.
 
I had the staples removed at a walk-in clinic yesterday. I went to my mental happy place while it was happening, and it went well except for the final staple, which put up a bit of resistance. :yikes: After that was done, a nurse applied a couple of long pieces of steri-strip over the wound. They're on quite loosely at this point, so I imagine they'll completely detach in the next day or so. I uploaded photos of my incision to the Hippies scars thread. :blush:

At my dentist appointment on Friday, I got Peridex rinse and triamcinolone ointment to address the wound in my gums. It seems to be getting better, and I'm hopeful for a full recovery with no complications. :fingersx:

I'm working on getting up and about regularly and walking for a bit more each day. I'll also do some of the bed exercises that were in my pre-op paperwork.
 
Glad you weren't interrupted in your happy place by painful tugging on the Franken-staples. It sounds like the removal was uneventful aside from the rogue staple that didn't want to release its grip on your flesh. :wink:
Good riddance to those things!

Thankfully the wound on your gums is healing. Things are looking up this week, lots of good news!
Enjoy your walks! :walking:
@AllNat
 
Thanks for the update on staple removal and dentist visit, sounds like things are getting resolved. Feels so much better once those darn staples are removed.
 
Yesterday I took the advice of this forum and went to a couple of shops to walk using a shopping cart. I got plenty of steps in, especially at Costco. It felt good to be out and about. I didn't feel pain per se, but a bit of discomfort above my right knee that was alleviated by taking a seat for a couple of minutes, as well as when sitting in the car between shops.

Today I had my first physiotherapy appointment (first of four that are covered by our provincial government). I'll admit I was feeling guilty for not having done very much in terms of rehab exercises yet---with the exception of ankle pumps, quad clenches, and glute clenches, as well as walks around the house---and I was imagining the physiotherapist as someone who would push me too far too soon. :scaredycat: But the appointment went very well. The physiotherapist was warm, friendly, and understanding. She took baseline measurements of movements such as my flexibility, balance, and speed in getting out of a chair, and gave me a handful of exercises that I'm confident will be doable.
 
That shopping cart exercise is from our wise fellow bonesmartie, Eman.
When I first was on this site I had posted about going to a big box store and grabbing one of those electric carts to ride around in and he suggested using the shopping cart instead. So from that time on that is what I did. Pretty interesting how many steps you get in at the grocery store or other spots.
Sounds like your therapist is understanding and not going to push you, that is very important.
 
Sounds like your physiotherapist is a keeper, @AllNat!

ankle pumps, quad clenches, and glute clenches, as well as walks around the house
That's actually quite a lot of good movement for someone is just a couple of weeks into this recovery. There is no reason to feel guilty. Listen to your body and you'll do great.
 
Eman85's shopping cart therapy is a good one. It works!
Good to hear you got out and it doesn't sound like you over did it. :thumb:
I'll admit I was feeling guilty for not having done very much in terms of rehab exercises yet---with the exception of ankle pumps, quad clenches, and glute clenches, as well as walks around the house-
You don't have to feel guilty. Keep this in mind -
It is not necessary to exercise your injured hip to promote healing. The controlled trauma sustained through THR will heal on its own. Often though, we're impatient and want to move the process along. In doing so we run the risk of struggling with pain and setbacks stalling the healing process. The best therapy for recovery is walking, but not to excess. Start slowly increasing time and distance incrementally in an effort not to overdo it. Give yourself the TLC you deserve and reap the benefits of a successful recovery.

Happy Weekend, AllNat! :)
 
When I first was on this site I had posted about going to a big box store and grabbing one of those electric carts to ride around in and he suggested using the shopping cart instead.
Yes, @myglasshalffull ! That's exactly the one that I had read. :yes!:Our local Costco has new carts that are tall and wide and perfect as walking supports, not to mention conveniently located stacks of shrink-wrapped pop cans that make a good resting perch at the far end of the store. :thankyou:

I'm very happy to report that my inflatable Lounge Doctor cushion arrived today, and I am presently using it for the first time. It feels AMAZING. I'm now optimistic about finally being able to reduce the swelling in my right ankle, and possibly also using it when sleeping on my back. Up to this point I had been using a large wedge pillow at the head of our bed to elevate my torso, along with a lower, gently sloped wedge pillow under my knees to help stave off my restless leg syndrome, but it was far from ideal and very tricky to position just right. My Goldilocks leg might be finally be satisfied with the Lounge Doctor! :fingersx:
 
My Goldilocks leg might be finally be satisfied with the Lounge Doctor! :fingersx:
Can't wait for you to update us on the LD after a week or so. Glad you like it and hope it brings you comfort and relief from swelling.
Sleep well tonight!
 
Four nights of sleeping using the LD, with great success so far. Only one night was a bit off because of a sore left knee that wouldn't let me settle for a couple of hours. But once the pain abated, :sleep:

The swelling in my right ankle is finally starting to look and feel much better. And the physio exercises I received at my appointment on Thursday are going well and not causing any pain or swelling so far.

On another note, I had a nosebleed when getting ready for bed last night. Not an uncommon thing for me (I get 1-2 brief ones every winter, no doubt because of the dry indoor air), but this time the nosebleed lasted for 45 minutes. I imagine that the low-dose aspirin that I've been prescribed to take twice a day for 35 days was the cause. Has anyone else experienced this?
 
Last edited:
Can’t say that I’ve had a nosebleed in a very long time. My Mom used to get them a lot in winter with the dry heat in the house.
Aspirin can cause some bleeding issues but if you are concerned I’d call your primary and inquire.
 
I imagine that the low-dose aspirin that I've been prescribed to take twice a day for 35 days was the cause.
Yes, aspirin is a blood thinner and is probably the cause -- especially if you are prone to nosebleeds.

I'm someone who bruises very easily -- even when I'm not taking blood thinners. During the early weeks of each of my recoveries, I had so much bruising, I looked like I'd been playing rugby. :heehee:

Are taking any prescription blood thinners? Or are you using any other NSAIDs (ibuprofen, naproxen, etc.) that act as blood thinners? If so, you might want to talk to your surgeon's office about modifying your medications.

Keep us posted.
 
If you’re taking Omega 3 Fish Oil, that also can thin your blood. If you’d like to post all of your medications and supplements here, we can do an analysis for you. Your GP or pharmacist can do the same. I agree with Deb that this last nose bleed was probably the result of dry air and the aspirin.
 
Are taking any prescription blood thinners? Or are you using any other NSAIDs (ibuprofen, naproxen, etc.) that act as blood thinners?
No, thankfully I'm only on low-dose aspirin and only for 35 days after the surgery.
If you’re taking Omega 3 Fish Oil, that also can thin your blood.
I would ordinarily take omega-3 fish oil on a daily basis, but the surgical team assessed my whole list of supplements and listed which ones I could resume right away and which ones I should hold off on until after the 35 days of aspirin are finished and I get the doctor's go-ahead. Omega-3, milk thistle, berberine, and turmeric were the ones that I had to pause, and the reason given was the increased risk of bleeding.

I had another nosebleed this morning, and this one lasted for an hour. So I went to urgent care and had an ENT doctor cauterize the problematic nostril. :praying: that it will help prevent a recurrence.

@benne68
@Jamie
 
I'm sorry you had to deal with a trip to urgent care, but glad they were able to help.

Since you are now almost a full month post-op, you might want to contact your surgeon's office to let them now about the nose bleeds and ask if it's okay to quit the aspirin early.

:flwrysmile:
 
So sorry to read about the pesky nosebleeds. Fingers crossed the cauterization puts an end to it.
Wishing you a lovely (nosebleed free) weekend! :thumb: :fingersx:
@AllNat
 
I'm happy to report that I have not had a nosebleed since my visit to the ENT on Thursday. What a relief not to be worrying about sneezing or blowing my nose, especially now that spring allergy season has begun! :yahoo:
 
Back
Top Bottom