BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

[THR] AJinNH’s recovery RTHR

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by AJinNH, Mar 18, 2018.

1. jaydub63

jaydub63 graduate

United States United States
    Right after surgery I had the perception that my operated leg was slightly longer, but it went away pretty quickly, within a week or so. I think I just had to get used to the fact that I didn't have to avoid putting too much pressure on my old arthritic hip anymore and I wasn't limping. The more I was able to walk the more "even" I felt.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. SaraK

SaraK post-grad

I felt like there was a difference after my first (my PT even verified I was putting more weight on op leg when standing "straight" ), but things settled down over the first few weeks. I'm not sure if it's the swelling or holding that hip differently or what, But it can take awhile for the perception to go away. I've heard it can also be a matter of adjusting to no longer having that leg shorter because of bone on bone.

3. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Happy Friday! @AJinNH
    Wondering if you've read this article:
    http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/leg-length-differential-lld.6173/

I feel like my legs are slightly off. I shouldn't say "feel" because nothing feels off. I notice it
    in the mirror, my op leg looks slightly longer in matching up my knees. Since it doesn't bother me, or cause pain. I just live with it. I guess I'll ask about it at my one year anniversary appt.

Good luck with PT next week. Hope your weekend is wonderful! :flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 1
  4. AJinNH

AJinNH senior

Thanks @jaydub63 @SaraK and @Layla I’ll wait it out and see how it goes. Thanks for the link @Layla.

Happy Friday to all of you!

5. hikejunkie

hikejunkie senior

I didn’t have to intentionally have my leg lengthened but it felt off post-op and I was bending knee same as you mention. It was all due to weakness in the hip and all issues are gone now. Hope all goes well for you!

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:hi:You are getting there AJ.
    Those xrays are very reassuring...I'm ready for my next set.
    I feel like those pregnant ladies with the ultrasounds of their babies.
    Wish I could have one monthly..:heehee:
    Hope you join us at JRAD and hope your weekend is SWEET.

• Like Like x 1
  7. AJinNH

AJinNH senior

I’m watching JRAD now (tv via iPad). It’s very interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  8. zbest85

zbest85 junior member

Exactly what I'm feeling at 4 weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  9. AJinNH

AJinNH senior

4 weeks post-op today! I can see a bit of progress each day. I find it’s still important to ice and elevate frequently as my activity is increasing. I love my ice machine, it really helps after I’m up and about. I’m getting around pretty confidently with the cane, I actually feel as though I could go without it, but will continue for a while as there’s no rush. I’m taking more steps here and there without it, but don’t overdo it. I also see a big benefit to spreading my activities out throughout the day and not do too much at one time. I’m taking an occasional step or two on the stairs normally, but again, I try not to overdo it. Just testing the waters.

I’ll be done with the anticoagulant injections in three more days and I’m really looking forward to being done with those. Woohoo! I can stop wearing the Teds then as well, but I really don’t mind them at all. I occasionally wear (more attractive) compression socks when I’m going to be on my feet a lot. They make a big difference and my legs don’t feel as tired.

I started outpatient PT today for some stretching and massage. My psoas is incredibly tight, it was before surgery too, and I think if we can get that to loosen up a bit my groin pain will ease up as well. I’ve laid it on the line at PT as to what I will and won’t do. I’m only going 2 days a week and will assess as I go along. If things start hurting more I’ll stop. I did see a benefit prior to surgery which is why I’m going to give it a chance.

Now if I can just get a decent nights sleep I’ll be thrilled!

• Like Like x 3
  10. Mojo333

You are getting there:yahoo:
    Hope you have a Good Day!

• Like Like x 1
  11. AJinNH

AJinNH senior

I keep trying to sleep on my non-op side a little every night, but can’t get past 25-30 minutes before my hip starts hurting. Sometimes it even aches down my entire leg to my foot. I always use a pillow between my knees, usually a long one that cushions my entire leg. I even tried two body pillows. I’ve heard others say that they kept trying and eventually were successful. Despite being more active, my back and neck are getting fatigued from back sleeping and sitting, otherwise I wouldn’t keep trying. I’ve gone back to recliner sleeping recently as I try to get some decent sleep. I even tried lying down on the sofa, thinking that if I supported my back against the back of the sofa it would help, but it didn’t work out. I’m looking forward to when my op side heals and I can try sleeping on that side. Maybe after my steri strips are off in a few weeks I can try that side.

12. BeBe

BeBe graduate

@AJinNH
    Hey it's our fourth week this week!
    When I was in the hospital they told me I could sleep on my surgical side (right) as soon as I could tolerate it. And not to use nonsurgical side down. More chance of dislocation apparently?
    Had to be with both legs bent following 90 precautions with pillow supporting between entire leg, groin to foot.
    And to not try non surgical side. Seemed completely backward but starting at my 10-12 day I was on my non surgical side sleeping with pillows as they said. I cannot do it if the bottom leg is straight. Too much strain on surgical hip. Now I can fall asleep on either side, thankfully for my back, but knees must be bent.
    All that said, I just don't do much of what hurts, right? No sense in that. You'll get there.
    I still have to use my walker mostly and barely can tolerate the cane. We'll get there:friends:

13. AJinNH

AJinNH senior

Hey @BeBe, 4 weeks! It’s going by quickly don’t you think hip buddy? We are getting there, slowly, but it’s happening. :yay:

I don’t have any precautions and they said I can sleep in any position that’s comfortable, even on my stomach (can’t imagine that). They even offered to help me get on my nonop side in the hospital, but I declined. I’ve tried side sleeping with my leg bent and straight, and it’s ok for a little while but then it starts aching.

I think I’m going to see if I can get a massage, maybe then my back and neck will feel better and I can continue on my back for a while. I’m up every hour or two changing positions now.

I went from the walker to crutches, and that was a good transition before the cane. I didn’t want to use crutches, I was concerned they wouldn’t be stable enough for me, but I actually took to them rather quickly. You just need to make sure that they’re fitted to you properly or you’ll end up hurting your arms. Then I went from two crutches to one, then the cane. I still keep the walker nearby during the night if I feel especially groggy and will use that to get to the bathroom and back occasionally.

We do what we can. Baby steps!:walking:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Happy One Month Anniversary!
    I hope you're doing well and feeling satisfied with your progress.
    Still so much more healing to happen but I'll bet you're feeling / reaping some of the benefits by now.
    It only gets better and better.
    Hope your day is great!
    @AJinNH

• Like Like x 1
  15. sequin98

sequin98 graduate

Canada Canada
    I am a back sleeper now.....It was easier than I thought to get used to it.
    Great progress! I am envious of the no precautions.....

16. AJinNH

AJinNH senior

Some nights back sleeping seems easier than others @sequin98 My bed is more comfortable on my back and neck, but the recliner still is easier I think because I can make a lot of adjustments to my position as needed.

One of the keys I think is to get the right amount of activity in during the day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. anny

anny graduate

New Zealand New Zealand
    AJ and BeBE - so jealous of the no back sleeping!....were you both anterior? I had posterior and was told back only until my 6wk checkup (and if he says to carry on with the back I shall cry :boohoo:)

18. Mojo333

I wanted so badly to sleep on my side...and I was told I could but it just wasn't comfy. I was a recliner baby also.
    Actually took quite a long bit before I could...some was uncomfortableness and some was because I had been so protective for so long maybe.
    It has finally become reality, sleeping on either side without a thought...it will come.

19. anny

anny graduate

New Zealand New Zealand
    think that's the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow :wowspring:

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. AJinNH

AJinNH senior

I’m going to hold you to that @Mojo333 !! I keep trying, both sides now, and I start out so comfortably but then after 30 minutes my op leg starts aching right down to my ankle. I’m excited that I can roll onto my op side without discomfort, even if only for 30 minutes. At the beginning of the week I couldn’t, so there is progress.

You are so right @anny that is the pot of gold :praying: :fingersx:

• Agree Agree x 1