Watch 2020 JRAD Videos

THR AJinNH’s recovery RTHR

Bumblebee

senior
Country
United States United States
Welcome Home! There's no place like home! You may find that even though they gave you permission to sleep on your sides with a pillow aid, it may be uncomfortable. After a few weeks was able to sleep on non operated side and by 3 weeks on operated side...Although not as long. But with the pain meds zonking me out, back sleeping wasn't as much an issue as I thought. Now back to side sleeping and no heavy pain meds to rely on....I can't imagine back sleeping again.:umm:

OP
OP
A

AJinNH

senior
Country
Thanks @Bumblebee I don’t feel the rush to get back to side sleeping but I’m happy to hear that it won’t be long before I can sleep on my side again.

I tried to get into bed tonight, I really wanted to sleep in my own bed, but it was too painful and I’m back in the recliner. We have baby monitors for when our grandchildren are here and we set those up so that I can call for my husband if I need him. I just want some pain-free sleep tonight and maybe will figure out the bed thing tomorrow when I’m more rested.

It was also very uncomfortable to elevate my leg too much, I had made a pillow tower like the one in the BS library, but that’s not happening right now either. There was a lot for my new hip to do suddenly in one day so I’ll try to ease gently into those things later.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi!
Just catching up here. Thankfully you made it home safely before the nor'easter!
I'm sorry you had such a miserable trip home. Especially after telling you "east peasy."
Glad to hear the pain has subsided. Hope you feel more relaxed now that you're in your own space.

It's wonderful your daughter will be there soon, what a lovely treat for you during recovery. I hope you have a good time while she's visiting.

Six weeks is kind of a long time till your first post op doctor visit but just think how great you'll be doing by then. I'm with you on the side sleeping. Once I was told I could, I still didn't. It took me awhile.
Wishing you comfort and a peaceful first night back home!
@AJinNH

BeBe

graduate
Country
@AJinNH

Welcome home!
I'm just catching up on your hospital experience and discharge. So happy your settling in at home!
Sorry the ride home was tough. Especially after having to sit for two hours in the hospital. That was awful!
Now you can get into a routine at home and get the pain management working in your favor. Is the codiene working in your favor?

And your daughter is coming to be with you! I'm jealous - mine offered and I declined, now I want her to come home.

It's great you have no restrictions. I am having SuperPath but my OS says 6 weeks of the typical restrictions. But I think in the early days maybe pain and stiffness keeps us from really moving - kind of a built in governor in a way.
Thanks for adding the little tidbits of info p, like the back sleeping thing isn't so bad. I needed that. Can't imagine back sleeping.

Sleep well!

OP
OP
A

AJinNH

senior
Country
Hi @BeBe I was surprised by the no restrictions as well. When I saw my OS initially and asked that question he said no bending. I’m still following the 90 degree rule for the most part, but feel good that if I have to reach down a little nothing terrible is going to happen.

Sleeping in the recliner is working well so far, I had a restful few hours of sleep. I got up a little while ago to go to the bathroom and was surprised at how good my hip felt getting up and moving. My stride walking down the hall was pretty normal and fluid where it had been stiff. My pain level is pretty low, I was worried after yesterday that the pain was going to be difficult to control. Stomach is holding up well to the Tylenol with codeine. Things are looking up! I’m going to try to get a few more hours of sleep now.

@NanaMama I’m looking forward to that soup and audiobook today. I love to make soup during storms and I’m so glad that I stocked the freezer with several different types of soup.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
The first week or so is the rough stuff. Sleep wherever and wherever you can...and yes, ice rules.
Glad you are home, and things will get easier with time.
Glad you will be hip pain free!
You are doing fine...healing hugs!

BeBe

graduate
Country
@AJinNH
So happy you feel positive and were able to sleep. So happy the TwC is holding your pain at bay.
Very encouraging to someone who is facing it tomorrow!
Have to go buy a baby monitor today...
Are you able to get up and out of your recliner yourself? Or do you holler for help with the monitor ?
Hope you didn't get as much snow - we held at about 8" but the wind and drifting is another issue.
Stay snug with your soup and books!

Cassidy

senior
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@AJinNH - I'm feeling loads better just reading your updates and hope you are too. I hope you continue to be relatively pain-free and upbeat. I gather the worst will soon be over. Jealous that you don't have restrictions!!

OP
OP
A

AJinNH

senior
Country
What a difference a day makes! @BeBe and @Cassidy I’m doing great today. Pain is zero, and the 2 early morning doses of TwC I took at 4:30 and 8:30am were only half doses (instructions were to take either 1/2 or 1). I took a whole pill at noon because PT was coming. The nurse came at 10 and she was impressed with my progress. PT came immediately after and also thought I was doing fantastic. Both thought that not waiting too long before having the surgery made a big difference. I have very little pain today and I think the reason for that is because I’m making sure to get up and walk regularly and not stay in any position for too long.

I showered, used the blow dryer on my hair without any problems (I sat some of the time and stood at others). I got myself dressed and only needed help with my Ted’s. Constipation has not been an issue and I attribute that to taking Miralax the three days before surgery and continuing that after surgery along with stool softeners and prunes, plus being careful with my diet.

I’m walking much more normally than I expected 4 days after surgery. Getting in and out of a chair is easier as well. I’m being careful to not overdo it yet move every hour.

Also, I think purchasing the recliner was a wise investment. It made all the difference last night. I feel much closer to normal than I expected.

I learned quickly yesterday that activity is my friend and not to stay immobile in any position for too long. That’s the best advice I can give to avoid prolonged pain.

OP
OP
A

AJinNH

senior
Country
@BeBe I just realized that I hadn’t answered your question about the recliner. My recliner is also a lift. I used the lift when I first got home yesterday and during the night if I had to get up, and was grateful for it then. Today I’ve been getting out of it without using the lift. I have my walker in front of me and use it for leverage to stand up. I think I’ll be using the lift as little as possible, it feels good to get up without it.

You are going to do fantastic tomorrow! I’ll be waiting for you and @anny on the other side :console2:

NanaMama

Country
@AJinNH - Look at you, Girl! The Poster Child for Hip Recovery! That's awesome - keep up the good work! I think your being careful not to overdo and getting up to move around regularly is key!

OP
OP
A

AJinNH

senior
Country
@NanaMama all of the prayers, good mojo, virtual hugs and healing thoughts have helped a great deal. Today the PT described me as ‘motivated’. :egypdance:
I am feeling much gratitude today as well as blessed that things are going well. How’s that writing career coming? I feel like I have some catching up to do.

I hope you’re continuing to see and feel progress.

OP
OP
A

AJinNH

senior
Country
So I guess today is actually day 4 post surgery, I thought yesterday was. Yesterday was a good day, but seemed much longer than the few days prior. I guess that’s because I’m less drugged. It’s difficult keeping the days straight at times.

I continue to move well, no limp. Stride is normal and fluid. My stomach is a little off, not quite nauseous but uncomfortable. I didn’t eat dinner last night because I wasn’t that hungry and didn’t want to tempt fate. I usually eat something, even if just a cracker with meds. Breakfast is sitting okay. Taking it slow.

So here is where I need the opinion of the experts among you. My pain level is low for the most part. I’m taking Acetaminophen-Codeine #3; which is 300 mg of Tylenol and 30 mg of codeine. Instructions are to take 1/2 to 1 every 4 hours as needed for pain. Yesterday I took a whole pill at 12:30 am, 1/2 pill at 4:30 am, 1/2 pill at 8:30 am, a whole pill at noon (just prior to PT), and then 1/2 pill at 4:30 and 8:50pm. My pain level never went above a 1 on the pain scale. I took 1/2 pill at 2am today (5hrs after previous dose, and didn’t take another until 8:30 this morning (6 1/2 hrs later). I’m also taking 15 mg of Meloxicam once daily for 10 days. I can supplement with more Acetaminophen as long as the total between the 2 stays no higher than 3000 mg/day, but I haven’t taken any.

My thigh and hip remain swollen, lower leg and ankle are good. Some stiffness when in a position too long and that first step getting up. I continue to elevate and ice. I checked out the pain and pain medication charts BS provides for all postop members. I know swelling and stiffness are considered pain. I’m taking a relatively low dose of pain meds. When I do have pain it’s mostly in my groin.

So here’s my question, I’d like to cut back a bit on the Acetaminophen-codeine #3: Do you think I should try spreading the doses out to 6 hours instead of 4? Or, at the hospital they felt that I could soon use just Extra Strenth Tylenol to manage my pain, so another option I’m considering is taking alternating doses of 1/2 of TwC and ES Tylenol (total acetaminophen for the day would be 1950 mg with some wiggle room to add more of one or the other if needed). I’m leaning towards that option, any opinions?

SaraK

supremo
Country
I also had relatively low pain levels and the hydrocodone bothered my stomach so I stopped taking it after a couple of days other than a nighttime dose. What I did was take a dose of Tylenol that was low enough that I could add a hydrocodone if the Tylenol wasn't enough (I watched the individual dose of Tylenol and not just the daily total). Just don't let the pain get in front of you. If the pain even starts to ratchet up, take the meds necessary to keep it under control.

OP
OP
A

AJinNH

senior
Country
Thanks @SaraK good to know you experienced something similar. Unless someone has a strong reason not to, I’m going to try alternating doses today. I see a nurse again tomorrow and can get their feedback as well. My goal is to stay ahead of the pain while taking as little pain medication as necessary. The thinking was that since I didn’t take any pain meds prior to surgery that I would likely require less after.

I feel good for the most part except for my stomach being a bit off. I suspect the Meloxicam may be contributing to that issue since NSAIDS caused my GERD.
I showered again, got myself dressed (except Ted’s and socks) and can stand without a problem behind my walker without holding on for support (I only do that with a chair behind me and my husband next to me, he was impressed). Walking feels good. According to my Fitbit, I walked 1500 steps yesterday and slept 5 1/2 hours.

Also having a little dizziness this morning. Going to try taking a nap in my bed this afternoon.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi there @AJinNH
Wonderful reading your post. It sounds as though you're doing really well!
I'm sorry about the stomach upset. My mom is suffering the same and she's a day behind you.
It's great to read that your pain level is low for the most part. I'm hesitant to comment on meds.
Consider holding off on change and discuss it with the nurse tomorrow would be my best advice.

No limp! How awesome! Reading your post I feel like I need to get my mom up and moving more.
You're doing so well :yes!: Showering and dressing already :yay:
I hope your dizziness soon passes.

Love and hugs to you....hope your weekend is peaceful and relaxing :flwrysmile:

MammaT

supremo
Country
Your recovery sounds great @AJinNH. I too would double check with nurse on meds. It’s great having a low level of pain. I pretty much too meds as prescribed first two weeks (I hate taking pills and have been known to let pain get ahead of me). I do try to go with the lower end of what is prescribed.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
elosasso
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom