THR Ahipgma recovery

So relieved to hear you’ve managed your pain well enough to get some precious healing sleep! It makes all the difference in the world. It seems you’ve found a formula that will get you through the next few days while everything settles a bit, and give you a chance to regroup. All is well, @ahipgma :)
 
This is the tough part...again:unsure:
But you know this is the path that leads to a hip pain free future.
:tada:
Healing hugs coming your way.:friends:
 
I think everyone who has had a second hip replacement feels exactly the way that you do, @ahipgma It is such an incredible relief to know that this is the very last one (hurray for technology and long lasting implants!) you'll need and from this point forward it's all about strengthening and increasing mobility with no worries that a "bad" hip will be lurking in the background, interfering with recovery. When I am feeling grumpy, I try to focus on that. Sure, still struggling a bit now, but eventually--2020--I am going to have two fully functioning, strong and fabulous hips!
 
Popping by to say I'm thinking of you - has been a work day and busy day visiting my friend- family time also as it's a sunny bank holiday here in the Uk ( finally!) I'm waving those Pom poms for you lovely . Keep up,the good work and be kind to yourself . Sending love and hope you have a peaceful and comfortable night . You're doing great :loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
Good morning @ahipgma! Hope the meds are doing their thing and you're getting some pain free rest and the inevitable log leg is subsiding. I'm off to help youngest son tackle his overgrown garden (but in a supervisory capacity - he's doing all the hard work!). Have a fantastic healing week! Here's the pom pom cheer for you...:yahoo:
 
@Calgal thanks! Our gardens are still in full bloom though winding down a little.
Enjoy nature! 530 am here. I just got up to use the loo, refill my ice and get comfy for some more sleep. Thanks for the cheer, it helps:thumb:
 
One week down my double hippy friend! Ugh..first weeks are rough.:unsure:
Sending healing vibes your way...all temporary.:flwrysmile:
 
1 week post-op you are doing well far better than I was. It is really hard isn't it? And trying to stay positive with pain. But you're on your way and it is the last one. So onwards and upwards.
 
Hello my lovely
One week on - how are you feeling ?
Thanks for your message on my post :flwrysmile:
Sending you love and healing thoughts :loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
One week out and doing ok. @mikeycat I dont know how you ever did 2 at once.
My issues right now are trying to regulate the pain meds so I take enough so that they work, but I just dont feel normal on them, you know? I'm much more impatient this time but at the same time I've learned from the last time that patience is important! My poor little 4 month old hip is trying to bear its load but has gotten a little sore too. My home PT came this AM and says I'm doing great, when he ranged my hip certain moves that hurt for years.....didnt! That's really the upside of this surgery, but all the angry tissues and muscles are still in an uproar and wont be ignored.
Dear @Mayhip8 I will be so glad when we are both done, is work going ok, and are you ready for the funeral service-- is it tomorrow ? Will keep you in thought for then. Wonder if our Chrissy is still partying in Spain!!! Onward and upward as @Mojo333 said,
:loveshwr: and :console2:s
 
Ugh...I remember that first week with early morning wake-up calls around 5 or 5:30, that is tough to handle, I'm sure, @ahipgma But I bet it's pretty at that hour of the morning. I remember getting up carefully and walking to my window to check out the day, lovely to see the sunshine beginning to pour over the lawns and gardens and listen to the birds waking up. This difficult first week--not sure anyone out there had a great time--is almost over and I'm hoping with week 2 things will be looking up a bit. Have a good day.
 
So true @Barbaraj , I do remember the little milestones, sitting on the commode without pain, ( I had posteriors, the incisions lined up perfectly with the toilet seat :gaah:)when the log leg finally went away completely, getting off the narcotics,
Getting the Ok to drive, all things that I can look forward to will come! And all the encouragement from folks who truly know what those first couple of weeks are like!! No other way but to just live through them so --- first week done!:yes!:
 
Yup, that's the ticket, @ahipgma All those wonderful things to look forward to in your future. The early weeks are a miserable slog, no getting around it, but they simply have to be endured with as much patience and good humor as we can summon up (and some days are easier than others). With each day you are getting stronger, that incision and all those angry tissues are starting to settle down and heal. Hang in there!
 
Didnt want to clog up your thread @Barbaraj but I read your post about your pamper day and I think ANYTHING you can accomplish at the level you're at and takes your mind off that hip is the best!
Yesterday a friend brought dinner and stayed for about an hour and we talked about everything. My living room gets the late afternoon sun and has a huge picture window that overlooks the woods and the windows crank open to allow the breeze in. It was great.
Today we got a bunch of Amazon stuff to make a guest room out of a spare bedroom so I sat while my husband put the bedframe together and we decided how to rearrange the furniture, I got out my new bedlinens and tried them out.
I wasnt icing but i was wheeling my walker all over arranging that room with my husbands help and it was fun.
That first week is the absolute pits but it's over now. I heard from @Mayhip8 and our pal @ChrissyW is back from Spain and we're all doing our best and supporting each other. A good day!
 
Sounds like you have had a couple of happy, diverting days, @ahipgma and although it doesn't make the pain and discomfort less, focusing one's attention outward is always helpful, I found. Your living room window looking out over the woods sounds very peaceful and I bet it brought you some mental relief. My personal philosophy is that recovery is not just about the physical but there is a big mental component and my state of mind played a big role in how I was doing. When I was positive and more relaxed I simply felt better overall. And, yes, agreed that anything that is pleasurable--meals with a friend, beautiful view from a window, pretty painted toenails--boosts our mood and, I think, makes one feel stronger and more confident and definitely hopeful that there is a light at the end of this wearying hip recovery journey! Onto week two, and hope you can definitely see improvement over the start of week one. Happy Friday!
 
Last edited:
[Bonesmart.org] Ahipgma recovery
@Barbaraj thanks you too! Next week 2 week appt, dressing removal, and hopefully permission to drive!
 
Good morning, @ahipgma Hope you're waking up feeling cheerful today and with a little less pain and a little more confidence. By week two I was definitely starting to feel a bit better, by midweek anyway. And, yes, it does sound like some exciting (relatively speaking, in hip recovery world) are ahead with two week check up, bandage removal and driving! I loved the fact that I could drive earlier with my left hip than my right where my doctor advised waiting six weeks before driving. As the right hip was my first replacement and I was more nervous about everything, I was good and waited the full six weeks. This time, with my left hip, I was out zooming around in about 2-1/2 to 3 weeks. So nice when we can gain some independence and not rely on others to schlep us around!
 
:hi: Stopping by to see how you're doing...ten days in today.
I hope things have been going well since you last posted.
Best wishes for your comfort and a pleasant holiday weekend!
@ahipgma
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom