Guest viewing is limited

THR Ahipgma recovery

hi all. @Layla and @Barbaraj
Enjoying the Labor Day weekend, daughter #2 coming for a simple picnic dinner and then some friends later after that. Our weather in PA is nice, low humidity.
This recovery has been hard with a lot of pain and stiffness. As long as I'm lying still, no pain. When I get up, I struggle, badly limping except when using the walker. Is this the typical 10 days out? I was in the hospital 27 hrs, so maybe this is all I can expect at this stage. Am I not taking enough pain med or not strong enough? They work, but they make me sleepy and constipated. I'm not taking nearly what I'm allowed so no abuse there. I was feeling pretty good 10 days ago, 3 months out with one leg, and guarding the other one so much and walking such short distances that I was getting along for the most part.
I know this one needed to be done, but I keep thinking I just DID all this and am so impatient to be done, and far from wanting to go out and overdo I just feel like laying here. Motivation low. This too shall pass!
Thanks for the encouragement! It means alot.
 
When I get up, I struggle, badly limping except when using the walker. Is this the typical 10 days out?
Yes! You know it but don't remember! :heehee:. You're rarin' to go, but it's not even 2 weeks out. No ODIC! :no-fin:

Pamper yourself and enjoy your family and friends and nice weather this weekend. No labor for you on this Labor Day! :giggle:
 
Good advice @Calgal and you're right I should have kept a journal or something but really had no desire to chronicle pain:nah:.
But I know years ago in my job experience a hip replacement was a week stay so I'd barely be out of the hospital at this point. Lying here all iced up is sooo nice I think I will take your advice, thanks for the pompom shake, friend!:) :-) (:
 
I got a cheap Fit Bit knockoff.. It is handy..not to set records but as a virtual journal of what I did the days before. So if I hurt I know what level of activity to go back to to reset.

Is ice still your friend? For me the meds are useless save OTC meds.. But Ice really is the best! And it doesn't cost ( we are on a well)

One of the advantages of sleeplessness is getting up and doing something even if it is a lap around the room. I had quite a sleep last night.. So getting up was NOT fun! Stiffness is to be expected.

Another plus for the FB.. it vibrates when I have rested for a while and reminds me to MOVE!

I totally get the loopy and clogged feeling from pain meds.. That played a large part in my desire to ditch them ( plus they do not aid sleep for me)

It is a delicate balancing act these early days.. Like little toddlers muscles hate a change in routine.
 
Balancing act indeed @mainegirl1 ! Just shucked corn prepared grill cut watermelon and set table. Popped another tramadol. The narcotics are a 2 edged sword for me. They do work but the side effects! But being pain reduced is encouraging and cheers one up.
I'll keep working on it. I remember a turn of the corner around the 2 week mark last time so will hope for same this time as we are fast approaching it!
 
Well hello here too @ahipgma i thought I'd have a read of where you are and how things are going via your recovery thread. I think back to 10 days post surgery and how we were sharing stories of constipation, pain and what we were going through. You are doing fab, I'm so in awe of the fact you just got through round one then went straight in to round 2. Me and my Pom poms are cheering you all the way, reiterating my chant of 'ice, ice baby!'. Massive hugs from your uk hippy sister xx
 
Hey @ahipgma
It's a special day...Happy Four Month Anniversary to Righty!
With any luck you'll turn the corner this week with Lefty as you're hoping. I'll bet you enjoyed the company of your daughter and friends yesterday grillin and chillin. Hopefully you had a good night's sleep after it all and you're starting out the day feeling strong.
Wishing you a peaceful Sunday!
 
Thanks @Layla! You know the grillin and chilling is just as good medicine as Tramadol! Lovely day with family and friends, hope your weekend was/ is great as well. My fave season is coming!
 
Hi there, @ahipgma, Sounds like a fun barbecue--family and/or friends? We are going to have my son and his girlfriend over this afternoon and hoping the cloudy start to the day will give way to sunshine later on. I think you're doing great for only 2 weeks out, and stiffness and soreness are everyone's constant companions. I hope they are manageable as they are inevitable. Using assistive aids and medication as needed are perfectly acceptable from my point of view. And if you are able to prepare food for a gathering and welcome your guests, that's pretty impressive. Glad you enjoyed your "grillin' and chillin'". Happy Labor Day.
 
So glad to hear that from you @Barbaraj
In preparation to drive I'm cutting back on the stronger pain meds but it's not so great today.I just have this deep ache all up and down my thigh. Had breakfast, took a shower and that was enough to send me back to the couch with ice. I know I'm making progress, and I dont have trouble with rest or meds, the cookout was fun just stuff from the fields that dont need prep, sliced tomatoes, watermelon, corn etc but having people was the nicest. OS appt Thurs should give me permission to drive. Thanks for the encouragement. Enjoy your Labor Day festivities!
 
@ahipgma i remember the strong cramps and thigh pain but you are doing fab, especially if you feel you'll be ready to drive by less than 3 weeks post op, I couldn't have managed it even if it had been allowed so I'm really proud of my hippy sister! I love watermelon but they have been pretty poor over here this year though I must say I had my fill of them on both holidays where they were sweet, firm and yummy! I think we'll have to plan a virtual shopping expedition as I know you like shopping too. In fact virtual shopping would be good because I've been doing far too much of the real thing on line again ( I just can't help it, things speak to me in dulcet tones saying buy me!) in fact my real addiction at the minute is jeans, especially those of a partular AMERICAN line that is very GOOD ( I dare to say the name as I don't want to get in to trouble for promoting the brand but it's closely linked to a Kardashian!) there's been a sale on top of the sale so it would be rude not to shop!
Massive hugs my friend xxx
 
( I just can't help it, things speak to me in dulcet tones saying buy me!)

She's a funny one, isn't she @ahipgma I know she makes me laugh. :heehee:

there's been a sale on top of the sale so it would be rude not to shop!

Another good one, lol. She'll keep you giggling.

I hope you've had a nice holiday weekend. A great rest of the week to you!
 
I can not believe how similar our thinking is about shopping , @ChrissyW.It's just that I want to support our economy. Keep the woman in the dress shop employed, only spend that money for the noblest of reasons:heehee:. It's an art form to me, the bargain hunting, the layering of coupons, my hub used to teach math, and he laughs because my one math gift is calculating the percent off in a sale in lightning speed, in my head, no calculator needed!!
You know, though, I am wrapping my head around the fact that my income has been deleted from our bottom line so all day here I've been watching You Tube videos about how to shop your closet, getting ten different looks from one piece of clothing, etc.:cry: Yes, I have to start watching.....
But in answer to your comment @Layla, yes she made me laugh and as we all know that is the best medicine and I really needed it today! What would I do without our Bonesmart community?
Now I'm going to stand outside my closet and wait for my old clothes to start calling out some dulcet tones to me about 15 uses for one piece of clothing......
Love and hugs.....
PS maybe we need to take a trip before @Mayhip8 has her surgery!
 
Last edited:
hello @ahipgma I just caught up on your thread, I'm wondering what you could do to increase your pain meds so you feel a little more comfortable? You stated that you are way below the recommended dosage, so why not accept the sleepiness and drink some prune juice and get some relief? Would hate to see it catch up to you and set you back..
I did find that whenever the aching began I hit the bed with my pillows and ice and that helped a lot. But of course you know this. What can I say, I worry..

Our weather was pretty darn perfect this weekend, wasn't it? We spent one day at the shore and yesterday with friends at a clam bake. So today I am exhausted, no pain though, no pain whatsoever!! But some tightness for sure, and the tiredness. You will be back to your activities soon and your only complaint will be the fatigue, also. :happydance:
 
Yes, @CricketHip your RTHR date was right in the middle of my two. I felt pretty good going in to this second surgery though very limited activity because of guarding this left one. So now I am all done, just need to heal and get more flexible and strong, I am a nurse with so much experience with old people who got so constipated they got obstructed and were very very sick. The pain meds make me so sleepy and a little bit depressed, I hate to take more. I lay there all day long as it is, except for short bursts of activity, self care, helping a little with meals. When I lay still I have no pain. I have ice on me all day which does help. I think its postop blues a little -- which will pass. Two so close together was hard for me. How the same time double hippies do it I do not know!!! Thank you for your concern, and if it comes to taking more pain meds I will for sure. Prunes got me thru 2 pregnancies with all the iron, you know? Mmm mmmm.
Carol
 
To take meds or not--that is always a tough choice, @ahipgma. I think I probably undermedicated the first two weeks this time around and experienced more discomfort than I needed to, but never got stopped up so I guess that's a blessing. At six weeks out, I've not taken any pain medication for awhile although I sometimes longingly look at the extra strength Tylenol in our medicine cabinet and think, "oh, just one dose wouldn't hurt.." But I do remember from first hip surgery that this "middle phase" of recovery for me involved pretty constant ache/stiffness and while I groan about it sometimes, I know I can manage. I got horribly constipated with my second pregnancy (dratted iron pills) but I just stopped taking the pills towards the end of my pregnancy and got relief, and second daughter was healthy so no harm done. I am sure post-op blues might be creeping up, and best medicine might be distraction of some kind. Can you plan some kind of outing this week?
 
Happy Monday @ahipgma
I wish you felt better and could achieve pain relief aside from laying still. :console2:

You did take a lot on with your surgeries being so close. You started to feel pretty good, gaining strength and stamina and then BAM, you're down again. You will get through it though. It's like one long recovery since you weren't recovered from your first surgery.

I was about 12-13 days post op and feeling a little of the Post Op Blues, myself, when a Recovery bud of mine asked if I'd been out to smell the roses lately. He suggested I get out, if I hadn't already. It was early days and extremely hot and humid, the type of days when you want to be indoors and the AC is running 24/7. Getting out is important though for out mental health, even if it's only for a car ride.

I hope things are looking up this morning. All temporary as you know from your first, but sadly that reminder is cold comfort when you're in the midst of feeling miserable.
Big hugs to you.
 
Nice to hear from you @Barbaraj.
And thanks for your take on the middle phase as I'm out of immediate postop and go for my 2 week OS appt. on Thursday, Aquacel dressing off, and steristrips on, permission to drive most likely.
I'm not uncertain about all the meds and interactions at all it's just how the whole thing applies to me in this situation!
As we all know on here recovery involves many facets, not the least of which is doing what's right medically, but I was taught as a nurse that a patient is "body mind and spirit".
I think the narcs make me a little depressed. Add that to the fact that for the first time in 40 years I'm off work, and it's not because I have a new little baby. I miss my colleagues and patients, and many, many other people interactions for which I need stamina and the ability to drive.
So honestly I think its the mind and the spirit stuff that's needing attention.
So to your point, I wanted to make bran muffins this morning. I'm on the couch with energy drain after making my bed running the dishwasher and making muffins!:bored: and you are absolutely right
My 2 daughters are taking a trip out of state and are staying the night with us Thursday as we live close to the airport, and my hub will drive them Friday AM.
So I'll see them, hoping to go back to church on the weekend ( padded pews, yay!) And otherwise feed my spirit!
Also going for hair cut and color on Friday and I always have lively "discussions" with the guy that's been doing my hair for 23 years. Getting there, Barbara! :yes:
 
Hey @Layla
Thank you for checking in! As per my post to @Barbaraj, am going to work on all that a little. As you know, this is not my usual from the wild and wacky virtual trips I've taken with our UK lovelies and our silly running jokes.
I know I will get through it especially for my little sweetheart for whom I'm ahipgma! So much to get better for and its just a matter of time.:) :-) (:
 
@ahipgma hope the wardrobe watching went well. If your clothes didn't sing to you in any dulcet tones I could do if you like? Sorry things are getting you down. Now I've been racking my brain as to how to cheer you up and thought I'd try what I did with my students today, visualising. Ok, close your eyes and picture yourself doing whatever it is you set yourself as a goal ( no splits, gymnastics or pole dancing!!) it could be walking through a beautiful field, running after Ari, sun shining down on you both as she giggles away and has you chasing her and doing all the fun things you do together. Keep that picture and every time you feel a struggle, see that picture, that goal and know that no matter how small the steps each one is taking you closer to that end point. Hard work and resilience pays off, you did it once and you'll soon be baking me lots if lovely cakes, even if I can only eat them 'virtually'.
In respect of shopping I too M a bargain hunter and love a good old rummage around charity shops, especially ones in 'posh' areas and I've picked up designer bargains in the past and I always recycle my clothes with charity shops as I know someone else will hopefully enjoy them (though I know that sometimes my taste can be a bit out there, not everyone goes for yellow and white fake fur stripes!! But it would be a sad world if we were all the same) anyway @ahipgma anything I can do to cheer you up, be that a cheer, a song(my dulcet tones may need you to wear ear plugs), a shake of my Pom poms or just a cheery hello or someone to have a moan to I'm here for you xx
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom