Guest viewing is limited

Hip Resurfacing Advice needed still having issues 2 years later

Can you get metallosis and still have low chromium and low cobalt levels in your blood work?

I know this going to be a tough call with the original OS. Something is causing the atrophy I agree with you 100 percent.

Thanks,

Larry
 
I'm tagging @Josephine, Larry, so she doesn't miss this last question you have.
 
Thanks Josephine, let's hope it's not metallosis. I would hate the thought of another surgery.

I am going to speak to the operating surgeon this week about the new MRI. I appreciate all your help on this.

Thanks,

Larry
 
@ljpviper, just a suggestion to get a second opinion based on the MRI with a top surgeon other than your original surgeon.

I think I have followed you and if I remember correctly, you have one of the very best resurfacing surgeons in the country ... Still ... all too often the original surgeons develop tunnel vision or defensiveness ... when their patients develop problems after surgery ... Or a problem that develops somehow just fits in the blind spot of a particular surgeon ... Seems to me, for example, that your original surgeon could have ordered an MRI a long time ago, but didn't for whatever reason (maybe I'm wrong here and your original surgeon did suggest this).

So I'd definitely recommend you bring this new MRI information not just to your original surgeon but also to another top surgeon, particularly someone who is top-flight in revisions.

Not that you have to undergo a revision but you want someone really skilled a diagnosing and fixing problems.

Just a suggestion ....
 
Yes, I agree he is the in the 5 top surgeons in the world. There is no conclusion what is wrong other that my glute medius behing atrophied.

I am going to speak to the operating OS tomorrow. He told me from prior to the surgery do not jump the gun on another surgery cause u have pain still. I still think It's a glute medius nerve entrapment or complete shutoff.

Thanks

Larry
 
Totally what I meant, Josephine. Some resurfacing surgeons seem to have a blind spot about metallosis.
 
Sorry about all the struggles:sad:
Hope the chair helps you at work Larry.
Hope you have a restful Weekend!
 
:wave:How have things been, Larry?
Were you (or your doctor) able to ascertain the exact cause of your pain?
Hope you are doing better.
 
Thanks for all, for checking up on me.

Since the last post here is what I have doing
active release therapy. Feels great for about an hour.
walk maybe 45 minutes a day.
My original OS has no clue so I contacted another top HR surgeon in the world, basically stated you have to live with it. Quite rude and unexpected answer. My cobalt and chromium are really low.

Still pretty much the same, get pain on weight bearing. Pain through the the day, sitting though walking does not cause pain.

This situation sounds a lot live Marvy, except he had a hip replacement on a hip resurfacing. At 3 years out I thought this would be completely behind me. What a bummer, I don't know what else to do. It's a struggle to get through every day.
Thanks,

Larry
 
I certainly don't know what to advise but maybe @Josephine had some thoughts.
I know Marvy had ongoing issues so nothing is 100%, butmy thought is I've seen many on this site who had unsuccessful arthroscopic surgeries and resurfacing procedures with no relief, end up with replacements that worked very well.
Is this not even an option the new surgeon would consider?
I feel terrible about you not having any options Larry.
Actice Release atherapy. Feels great for about an hour.
Don't know what this is?
Could you share?
 
Active release therapy, is like a trigger point massage. I went to an OS that just does hip replacements, he won't toouch this with a ten foot pole. Outcome is not guaranteed.

Thanks,
Larry
 
Hope you don't mind me tagging or nurse director for you.
I would be interested in her thoughts as she has practiced in this field for such a long time.
I truly sympathize with you and hope you can find some relief.:praying:
 
The issue is no hip placement surgeon or re surfacing surgeon will even bother to look at you let alone when they see me walking you walk perfect so you should be fine they stated. Well bein in chronic pain is not.

I am looking into the Tenex procedure which hopefully adress the tendon issue. If I would have done it ove again I would have done this metal on metal resurfacing
 
except he had a hip replacement on a hip resurfacing
Is this thread not about you? Or who is "he"?
And why is having a resurfacing revised to a hip replacement a problem>
 
My HR surgeon will not replace to a hip replacement until he is 100% certain of the cause. So far nothing concrete other than pain.

He states there is no guarantee the hip replacement will resolve the issue if it was soft tissue causing the problem.

Thanks
 
Just curious if any Emg or nerve conduction study on superior gluteal nerve was done? That feeds glut medius and minimus in this area. If unsure or thinking neuro related may be worth pursuing to make sure those branches are firing appropriately. I am not concerned with metallosis given these focal symptoms in certain muscle groups. Again, just my opinion
 
@ljpviper, you seem pretty to stay with the thoughts of your current surgeon--even it's clear that your current surgeon has no clue or particular curiosity (I know that's harsh) about your pain.

Why not try consulting one of the top total hip surgeons in the country and get a totally fresh opinion? Another way to say this: whatever problem you have is, through bad luck or what, seems to be in the blind spot of your current surgeon.

You seem to have this premise that hip resurfacing surgeons are in a league apart from total hip surgeons ... I think that's not so great an assumption. Why not consult with a non-resurfacing, non metal-using hip surgeon?

What do you have to lose?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom