TKR Acceptance and Understanding<

Sounds like a successful shopping trip!
:wowspring:
 
@Needhope
You sound like me, I had to get a bunch new socks, underware, and Jammie for my recovery! Even got new sweats and tops! I had a fall surgery! Cooked up and froze chicken soup and chili! The only thing I didn’t get was shoes! Everything else was fresh and new!
 
@Jockette it was until I was looking for new sweatpants. @Mutti3 they aren’t how they used to be. Everything is sooo tight! Not like I’m used to anyways. Last time I bought sweatpants was in 2007 when I had knee surgery. Haha! Those are the 2 pairs I still use now!
 
I know, shopping trips where nothing fits, if one even finds something one wants to try on, are no fun at all!
 
I realized something, it may have taken me 52 years, but, when dealing with doctors, you really need to ask the right questions. Information or opinions aren’t automatically given to you. And at that time, you can make your own decision based on answers to questions you’ve asked.
 
Everything is sooo tight! Not like I’m used to anyways.

@Needhope I had the most incredible good luck with a bunch of capri length sweatpants I bought at Walmart. They were $9 a pair, and I got six of them in different colors. It's all I wore in the immediate months leading up to surgery and in the months after. I have washed them numerous times and they are still good. (Are we allowed to name stores? If not, I'm sorry and I'll edit it out.) I can't remember when I have gotten so much use out of items of clothing. And $9 a pair!
 
I got several pair of knit capris from Lands End that are just great. They’re loose enough, I can pull them easily over the knees at checkups. Have lasted for years.
 
I was at Walmart today and found nothing like that. Maybe I was in the wrong section. I’ll need to look again very soon.
 
I was at Walmart today and found nothing like that. Maybe I was in the wrong section. I’ll need to look again very soon.

@Needhope The brand is White Stag if you look online. I did purchase them last year, so they may not have the exact same style this year. But I know they stock lots of White Stag clothes. Good luck and let us know what you find.
 
I also used Lands End capris and full-length sports pants. Those things wear like iron. Unless you get a super sale, though, they’ll cost more than nine bucks.

Retail therapy was good for me. I just felt more... recovered... when I could wear cute shoes again. And cute jammies too!
 
I also used Lands End capris and full-length sports pants. Those things wear like iron. Unless you get a super sale, though, they’ll cost more than nine bucks.

I love looking through the Land's End catalogue, and have purchased my bathing suits there. My bathing suits have worn very well, and during my pool days, I really gave them a workout. However, I'm not willing to pay Land's End prices for capris and sweats. Plus I am very tall at 5'10 1/2", and their pants do not come in tall sizes. Not so important for the capri style, but definitely an issue for regular pants.
 
There's an old quote - "clothes maketh the man" - seems fashion-trend of sweatpants is popular. In the early days of LTKR my trousers felt tight on my knee so bought a couple pairs of shorts and loose fitting ex-hire trousers. The weeks have flown by since TKR in November and accepting tightness will continue for sometime.
 
For many years, even before my TKR, I've been unable to wear tight pants around my knees. My jeans have to be large and stretchy. Before my TKR, I also bought a bunch of Walmart capris that I wore for my casual outings. When going to doctor visits or church, I wore long skirts. Thank God it was in the summer and I could wear sandals, so that mean no hose, which I couldn't have worn anyway!
 
For many years, even before my TKR, I've been unable to wear tight pants around my knees.

I had trouble wearing straight, much less skinny, jeans before surgery. I tried, though, because, well, I try to look current. I got used to tight knees. Imagine my surprise and delight when after several months my new knees lost their post-op swelling and... the skinny jeans weren't too tight in the knees! My original knees were swollen from the arthritis; the new knees are now normal size for someone my size and weight.

Early in recovery, though, swelling is inevitable. Inexpensive, baggy knit pants or sweatpants are a great option, as are skirts and casual dresses (though not maxi dresses or skirts if you will be dealing with stairs).
 
I like soft "loungy" pants that are nice and roomy for hanging around the house. I probably could have worn them post tkr (but I had my op in the summer).
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom