TKR Acceptance and Understanding<

@Mutti3 and everyone who reads my updates. I was approved for 8 weeks from date of surgery Apr 4 for my short term disability. I’m very grateful yet apprehensive because of my last TKR. It took me approximately 4 months for my knee to finally feel stable enough to work in a factory. I had returned to work a little over 3 months last time and still thought I had gone back too soon. Now I’ve put expectations on myself to get this TKR done and be back within the 8 week timeframe which is stressing me out. What if I can’t do it? What if I get fired? My anxiety is endless and exhausting. I need to knock this **** off and just deal with one day at a time but it’s easier said than done for me. Stupid knees. I hate them and would love to fire them. They’ve been no good to me. :hairpulling:
 
Oh, I hope you give your left knee a chance to show you a better recovery. :sad: It's entirely possible it will give you less trouble. There are no guarantees, of course. My right knee wasn't as bad as my left and recovered ever so much faster and better because of that. My left knee (operated on at the same time) took, and is still taking, two months longer to get to the same recovery points. So do try to stay positive if you can.

It's great you have already procured the short-term disability. Much less stress for you going into this surgery.
 
I understand you fears and anxiety. 8 weeks out you are still very early in the healing process. Deal with your up coming surgery with confidence. One day at a time. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
 
@Needhope , if your short term disability is like mine, that 8 week date is not set in stone. Your OS will be an active participant in the process, so as 8 weeks approaches, if you are unable, by his estimation, to do the tasks required for your job, the OS can do the paperwork required to extend that date. I also hope you can get a case manager from the std company who is as kind and understanding, as mine has been. Just from talking to me, she says she thinks I may need long term disability (past three months) and is sending me the paperwork.

Four years ago I had part of my lung removed and my return to work date was set at 6 weeks. At 6 weeks I had a checkup and my surgeon asked me if I was ready to return to work. I said I really needed two more weeks. And they gave it to me. So speak up and have good communication with your OS and case manager.
 
You all have valid points. I try like heck to be positive about this. Who knew my left knee would have petered out so soon after my right. Sometimes you can’t catch a break. @katchmo I've been out since Jan 30. I went back to work Jan 2 after having RTKR Sept 22 2017. My employer pulled me into office, told me they didn’t have any “light work” for me, and it was obvious I was having trouble walking, and he didn’t want me to fall and hurt myself at work, then offered me short term disability paperwork. I guess I had 2 choices.
 
@Mutti3 I had my RTKR Sept 22 2017. The 8 weeks is an additional STD from my upcoming LTKR on April 4. I had returned to work Jan 2 2018 from the right knee replacement, but my left knee started to crumble, so I’ve been out of work since Jan.30 2018. I did what surgeon asked and had Synvisc One injection a week after, then physical therapy with hopes it would help. It didn’t.

I’m still out of work, with having to have my current STD reopened and approved for more time. It was. From Apr 4, my LTKR surgery, to 8 weeks after, I have to recover and get myself back to working in a factory with heavy machinery. Or else I’m sure I’ll be seeing a pink slip or bye-bye nice knowing ya. Then what? Unemployed not possible unless you meet requirements of being, “ready, willing, and able to work”. They really got me over a barrel. They had me hanging there when I was given 2 options back in January when I was told what I had mentioned in previous posts. I guess I’m just getting ahead of myself because of fear, and knowing what it’s like for recovery from a TKR. Scared and sorry about the rant.
 
When you have your LTKR done, recovery is a full time job.Take care of yourself.
 
I’m 11 days away from LTKR. I’m feeling like do I really need this done? I’m not having much pain, the knee is just unreliable, crunchy, can’t squat, walk up/down stairs normal. Yes, it’s falling apart inside and I don’t know how much time it has left, but I dread going through another knee replacement. My nerves are getting the best of me today. My pre-op physical is Tuesday. Blood work, ekg, etc. I can’t even stand the thought of that. My last TKR I had general anesthesia twice. They knocked me out to do the femoral nerve block because I was afraid of the needles being jabbed into my thigh. Then they woke me up, wheeled me into OR and knocked me out again. I opted for noooo spinal anesthesia, it freaked me out. I’m a nervous wreck just writing this. This is no fun. I wouldn’t wish it on anybody to have to go through this. My only hope is I can make it through without a freak out and backing out. I want this done and over. Ugh.:shocked:
 
Because this is your 2nd one, you have some idea of what to expect which is both good and bad. Remember, though, every knee is different and every surgery is different.

For my first, I had general and a nerve block . For the revision, I had spinal, nerve block and a PCA nerve catheter. One minute I was talking with the Anesthesiologists and the next I was in recovery. The nerve catheter was put in the next day lasted 80 hours. When it came, the worst of the pain was over.

I was a bit leery of the spinal at first because I afraid of hearing/seeing what was happening in surgery. I was assured I was be asleep and wouldn’t know a thing.

This is a lot to process and you need to make an informed decision that’s best for you.

I don’t like needles either. With this surgery, even putting in the IV was a non event. The nurse numbed the area with a little lidocaine and WAITED 2 or 3 minutes before putting in the IV needle. I never felt a thing.
 
I’m 11 days away from LTKR. I’m feeling like do I really need this done? I’m not having much pain, the knee is just unreliable, crunchy, can’t squat, walk up/down stairs normal. Yes, it’s falling apart inside and I don’t know how much time it has left, but I dread going through another knee replacement. My nerves are getting the best of me today.
You definitely do need to get this second knee replaced. If you don't, it will continue to get worse.

I know it's scary, but try to think of the benefits after your recovery is over - two knees that will work well, without pain. You'll be able to get back to leading an active life, without the limitations imposed by knees that are getting worse all the time.

We'll be here to hold your virtual hand and help you through this. :friends:
 
Could I be expecting too much 6 months from RTKR? It doesn’t feel like part of me yet. I’m aware of the mechanical invader in my body with every step I take. It’s hard to explain. No pain, just it letting me know that it was put there 51 years after I was born. My body informs my brain every time I bend it, walk, go up a stair. Basically whenever I need to use it other than when it’s not being used. Do I sound like a lunatic? I know it’s not my imagination. I pray someday my knee and brain stop checking in with each other with my every move because it’s annoying.
 
You may just be one of those people who are extra sensitive to changes in their body. It may take you more time to become accustomed to your new knee(s). There's a whole range of how people experience their new parts, from the "feels just like my own body" (I'm one of those), to "I kind of know it's there but I don't care" (that's my sister), to people like you who are very aware of their new body part.

Your brain should come around to accepting your new knee soon. That you're not in pain will help that process. Maybe it will also help when you get the other done and your brain no longer has an original knee to compare it to. At least, that seems like it might help. :chinstroke:
 
@SusieShoes You make so much sense. I’ve always been a sensitive person, inside and out. Actually my entire life I have been very protective of my knees because they are fragile to me. My Mom reminded me recently that she always had to rub my legs with rubbing alcohol because they always ached. My whole life they were like that. I cried a lot because they hurt so bad. She said my pediatrician called them “growing pains”, but even into adulthood, they ached all the time. I guess this is the end result of those so-called growing pains. Thank you for your support. I need you. Hugs!
 
I cried a lot because they hurt so bad. She said my pediatrician called them “growing pains”, but even into adulthood, they ached all the time. I guess this is the end result of those so-called growing pains
I remember crying when I was just a little thing because my feet, legs and knees hurt so bad. I was also told that they were growing pains. Well, in my 20s I found out that they were birth defects. I always wonder if they had been treated back when I was a child, would I have all these problems now. That's something I'll never know and it does no good to dwell on it.

What is good now, is these knees can be fixed! They will be better that what we grew up with!
 
@sistersinhim I agree dwelling cannot change the past. It just sucks it took a lifetime to correct what may have been correctable when I was younger, healthier, more active, just more alive than I’m feeling now. But, I’m going to power through this and start living again. Geez I’m only 52, in number. My knees feel like they’ve aged 10x faster than the rest of me and honestly, that sucks. Yes, I’m getting them fixed and they better back up to the number I feel instead of the number they prematurely aged. Old.
 
Parents and doctors didn't know then what they know now. These kids coming up now can be fixed before the problems escalate into what we have had to face. That's a good thing!
 
Preop physical is done. Whew! Appt with Surgeon to sign consent forms is done! Whew! He noticed my weight loss because of stress, reassured me he knows what he’s doing concerning my previous TTT on left knee. He put my mind at ease. I’m still having a little anxiety, but it’s normal. I’m gonna focus on Sunday, Easter, and enjoy my time with my 2 girls and granddaughter. Then Monday, PCP visit. On Tuesday tie up some loose ends, and try to get a good night sleep to be ready for LTKR on Weds. Well.... that’s the plan anyway. Lol!
 
Just picture us with you!:console2:
We’ll be there in spirit!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom