TKR Acceptance and Understanding<

Ok ladies. I’m icing/elevating. It hurts behind my knee, I’m getting sharp shooting pains there. and inside the knee. The knee is also hurts when I touch on outer sides of kneecap and behind knee. I guess I shouldn’t have cleaned the bathroom yesterday. But I feel like all I’ve been doing since this TKR IS ice/elevate. I did forgo the cane this weekend as well because I need my muscles stronger. Today I’m back to using it. (Sigh)
 
Why can’t the Bonesmart way become the Universal protocol for all TKR’s? Makes more sense to have all Orthopaedic Surgeons along with the PT’s to be on the same page. There is such a huge discrepancy it just makes no sense from the view of the patient who had the procedure, too many conflicting opinions as to the after-care approach from timeline of recovery to unnecessary pain inflicted on us to get to the “ROM” that each individual surgeon believes we should be at by a certain time. Is there a medical book they get this information from or do they all come up with their own numbers and expectations for recovery time?
 
Every aspect of life has different opinions. That’s life.

My mother in law was a houseworkaholic. I am not. Both our homes looked nice.

My sister in law, while not a
houseworkaholic, loves to clean. She said it relaxes her. Seriously? It stresses the socks off me and I despise doing it.

Whose approach is right? Neither. We do what works for each of us.

For some reason someone thought exercising a knee replacement, more than our daily activities, was a good approach. Movement is good for it. Unfortunately someone else got carried away and took it too far.

God gave each of us a mind and a free will. We make our own decisions. We don’t have to do this someone else’s way.

Do a little walking around the house. Forget all those painful leg lifts and other exercises that you are doing at home. Save that for when you go to PT. Cooperate with them, but only so far. Be brave and tell them, “that’s enough”. My PT let me do that. Yours probably will too. Talk to them, appeal to their sense of understanding. You’ve already proved to them that you are trying. I bet they will understand.
 
There is a universal premise for recovery that we use here on BoneSmart and you'll find most doctors and therapists will agree to. That is - common sense.

Common sense says you don't push inflamed and painful tissues when they are in that state. You do whatever you can (rest, ice, elevation, pain meds) to get the inflammation and pain under control.

Common sense says you cannot do "normal" activities or strengthening exercises until healing has taken place first. Healing takes time and cannot be rushed. It is on your body's timetable and not your doctor's, your therapist's or anyone else's. Each of us is unique in how we heal from a trauma like surgery.

Common sense says you know your own body better than anyone and can listen to what it's telling you as you GRADUALLY increase any activity or exercise. Ignore your body's messages to scale things back and you will be in pain.

Common sense says you realize that you cannot wish your knee into normal. It will heal at its own pace. Actually, your second knee is barely one month out from surgery! It is entirely normal to still be spending much of your day resting, icing and elevating. You have an incorrect perception that you should be able to do more at this early stage.

That information Kneeper posted for you should be your reading on a regular basis until you can accept that you are still in a healing phase and need to take things easy. I encourage you to take all this to heart and change your viewpoint about recovery from this very major surgery. While you don't have any control over how fast your knees heal, you do have control over your attitude and approach to your recovery. You're making yourself miserable and no one here is going to be able to help you with that if you continue to push.

It would not surprise me that your surgeon would be horrified to learn exactly what you're attempting to do at this early stage. It's possible the same could be said for your therapist if you honestly tell them all you're doing besides the exercises they give you.

Your knees will get better. Healing will take place in spite of you. But if you want to try and do it your way and push through this pain, you're going to have a very difficult recovery. I don't recommend it.

I'm sorry if my guidance appears a bit blunt. My concern is really you. You are doing yourself more harm than good and I really pray that you recognize this and change what you're doing. This is your health and well being you're messing with. Recovery and its inconvenience is only temporary. It doesn't last forever. No house chore or event is worth risking your health. Please reconsider how you approach your recovery from this point forward.

As for tonight, be sure you are taking something for your pain. If you are hurting bad enough and have some prescription pain medications left, there is nothing wrong with taking a regular dose or two to get the pain under control. Uncontrolled pain will lead to more swelling, which leads to additional pain. It's a horrible cycle until you break it with proper pain management. If you don't have prescription meds (or don't want to take them), take 1000mg of Tylenol every 6 hours on a schedule through the day and night until the pain is controlled again. Be sure you aren't taking any other products (like cold or sinus medications) that have acetaminophen in them as 4000mg is the maximum you can take in any 24 hour period. Use ice constantly, taking care to put a towel between the ice source and your skin so you don't damage it.

Once you begin to feel better (none of that exercising and chores until you do!), gradually add small bits of exercise or activity a day at a time. Then check how you feel the next day. If you don't have much pain or swelling, then you can add a little more the day following. Put a "wait and see" day in between each addition of exercises or activity until you gradually work your way up over a period of a month or two. Don't expect to be close to normal until about the 6 month point from your last surgery. You won't be bed bound, but you won't be normal for about that length of time and maybe more. You and your body deserve this tender, loving care to get you the best possible result.
 
During one of the JRAD 2018 segments I watched online, two of the surgeons said they didn't truly understand the extent of the recovery process until they recently had a parent go through knee replacement and then watched them go through the recovery/rehab process. If you're like me, none of your therapists have gone through this either. That's why the advice you're getting here from the people who have "been there and done that" is so important. I'm a Type A person so I know this is easier said than done, but please go easier on yourself. Give yourself a break to recover. Watch the JRAD 2018 online segments while you're taking that break. I watched all eleven segments, enjoyed them, and understand so much better now what we're all going through.
 
My own fault I guess.
You said it!
I have PT tomorrow and I have to go
Why? Is there a law that says if this naughty lady doesn't attend PT she will go to prison for x number of years?
**I just did 3 sets of 20 leg lifts tightening the quads and pushed my leg down onto ottoman 2x for 10 sec each and I’m excruciating pain. What is wrong with my knee if it can’t handle even these small amounts of therapy? I’ve walked around house getting water, bathroom, etc about 10x today as well. Seriously, all that isn’t that much to ask of my knee.
My dear,forgive me for this but what you did here is simply stupid, outrageous and HARMFUL!! If you're not careful you risk going into Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. I kid you not!
It hurts behind my knee, I’m getting sharp shooting pains there. and inside the knee. The knee is also hurts when I touch on outer sides of kneecap and behind knee. I guess I shouldn’t have cleaned the bathroom yesterday.
You guess right but it's not only the bathroom - it's all those ridiculous exercises you did **
Why can’t the Bonesmart way become the Universal protocol for all TKR’s?
That will never happen. Same as all insurance companies don't offer the same rates for car or household insurance. But YOU can make it your way! There is no law preventing you from doing that. IN that, the law is on your side Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?
 
All information given to me makes sense that I am taking to heart. My plan today, I canceled my PT for today. I’m going to ice and elevate for the next couple days, do no in home exercises other than normal daily living necessities. My knee is telling me what you have all told me. It’s had too much expected of it, too soon. I’ve gone back using my cane because it buckled on me last night. I suppose I truly cannot rush this healing process, I thought I could. Thanks for your support it’s much appreciated.
 
@Jockette please change my thread title to...... Acceptance and Understanding
Thank you.
I have to tell you, reading this post made me smile so big. :loveshwr:

I am cleaning my bedroom and bathroom and was so frustrated with it that I had to take a break. My knee still doesn’t bend as much as pre surgery (at 14 months post op) and all the bending trying to vacuum and dust almost floor level areas with the hand piece, just makes me so uncomfortable, in my lower back also, which makes me so mad which sends my almost post menopausal body temperature sky high. Remember a few posts back I told you my opinion about cleaning. :blackcloud:


Your post was just the pick me up I needed! :spin:

So see, you are contributing to the encouragement of others!! :cheers:
 
Your thread title has been changed. And I have to admit your post made me so very happy. We're here for encouragement to keep you on this new path. After all you've put your knees through, it may take a week or more of almost total "down time" for you to notice any positive result. But please know it will come.
 
I’m going to ice and elevate for the next couple days, do no in home exercises other than normal daily living necessities.

That's all you need to do. All of it. Just the activities of daily living -- the simplest things like walking to the bathroom, showering, preparing a small meal or snack, getting dressed -- and lots of rest and ice. Consider it a vacation, or a knee-cation if you will. It's time off well-spent because your knee will thank you for it.

Our knees do talk to us. They have only a couple of ways to do this. One is pain. That's the voice of warning, of "Stop! You're hurting me!" The other is by calming down and feeling better. That's the voice of "Yes. Do more of what you've been doing."

Reading your post made me so very happy. Please give your knees this time to heal. It may take a few weeks. Bodies are slow things. Like with losing weight, it takes time to see results; with a few weeks time, you should see improvement. :happydance:
 
Needhope I am six weeks out from a TKR and I refused to do pt for the first 3 wks because the pain levels were too high. Exercise just made me miserable. I didn’t have to beg for Hydrocodone though. You shouldn’t have to either. I do believe you have to advocate for yourself though. Nobody can do that for you. Are you in the US?
 
Challenging it will be for me since I get very bored easily but my knee needs it. I don’t know how I’m going to get through this, the pain is driving me insane I think. When I’m stressed, normally I get up and do housework, or pace and it’s obvious I cannot allow that to happen.
This morning I showered, and for the first time took a good look in the mirror at how much these TKR’s have changed my reflection. Very depressing, almost shocking for my brain to wrap around. But it’s got to be accepted, because that’s what I look like now. And I need to understand my birth knees did the best they could for me these past 52 years.
Now it’s just a matter of healing my body, mind, and yes also my soul.
Thanks ladies once again. Hugs.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom