TKR Acceptance and Understanding<

Here's a link on the Do's and Don't of Elevation. It includes pictures, including the one mentioned above of the Lounge Doctor (the lady on the couch). I also used the Lounge Doctor and got mine from Amazon.

Any aid that helps our knees is worth using for as long as we need them. I found my walker more useful than my cane at times.
 
What would be the reason for pain and swelling behind knee? There’s a feeling like it’s bulging and extension makes it feel worse.
 
Pain and swelling behind the knee could just be soft tissue and muscle reacting to the surgery or too much activity. Many experience pain/swelling behind the knee often and icing behind the knee helps. Extention is often the last bit of ROM to come, so don’t worry about it too much as you’re just 5 weeks post op.
 
Actually @Celle I don’t. I will start doing that from now on though. Thanks
 
@KarriB ... it seems this tkr has had more pain and swelling than my other did. I haven’t done anything different to cause more of it. I think my RTKR was able to handle more activity. This one (LTKR) is giving me more trouble. I don’t know if it has to do with previous TTT 20+ years ago and the screw was left inside, was not removed by current OS as to placement of implant he said there was enough room without screw removal being necessary. I’m just the receiver, not the giver, and want to trust my surgeons decision. Whatever the outcome, I need to live with it, I haven’t a choice.
 
When I ice my knee, I ice the whole thing front, back and sides, for 45 minutes to 60 minutes. I make sure it's good and cold too. What good is ice if you don't cool down your tissues.
It is normal to have your knees be very different from each other. So don't fret about that because most of the time, it's impossible to figure out why this or that.
Just deal with what you have, take care of yourself, don't stress it and abuse it, and hopefully it will respond, but it will in it's own good time.
If we don't listen to Our knee, we suffer a lot more and have setbacks for days because we overuse. Things are healing, it's just slow and knees are so painful anyway.
A lot of this knee journey is just accepting that it's going to take a long time to heal, and we just can't do what we want to do. I have struggled with this so many times, but I finally have been learning to give into it, And really believe it. It's not worth the pain and suffering just to try to make it behave.
 
When your knees start behaving, it will be worth it. But now they just babies requiring 24/7 attention. Like children growing up ,become functioning adults. Just takes time!
 
Every knee is different and you’re right it could be due to previous issues, but you’re also very early in the recovery and healing process. So give it time as well as that ice and rest.
 
I’m sad. I googled “how to walk after tkr” and Bonesmart came up with a post from Restassured. A picture of a golden retriever avatar and a question from her. I read down her post and noticed she is deceased. She was only in her 50’s from Texas and seemed so positive. She was obviously a higher up here because of her title. Please, What happened to her? She passed away very close to my first TKR. @Celle or @Josephine ?
 
RestAssured was a valuable member of our staff and served as a Forum Advisor for years. She made many dear friends through BoneSmart and we miss her.

While you are welcome to read her posts and threads, I'm sure you can understand that it would be inappropriate for us to discuss her personal history with you. If your concern is that her death was somehow connected to her knee replacements, I can assure you it was not.
 
I woke up this morning determined not to use my cane. So far doing well. I think knee swelling is less which helps me to walk a little more normally and with more confidence in my stride. Baby steps, if I need the cane I’ll use it. But right now I’m reminding myself I can walk with every step. A small step towards recovery.

Happy Mother’s Day to all Moms out there. Have a beautiful day. :loveshwr::flwrysmile::SUNsmile:
 
I’m glad you are seeing some improvement!

Happy Mother’s Day to you, too! My son is coming today to paint my hallway! My two daughters live too far to come, they are in Ohio and I am in Delaware.
 
Last edited:
I'm so happy you're walking better! Baby steps, indeed. Our knees toddle toward getting back to where we need them to be.

Happy Mother's Day to you, too! I hope you enjoy time with your daughters. :flwrysmile:
 
Great post Needhope! I’m glad you are listening to your knee. That’s great wisdom. As far as the pain is concerned, are you taking OTC pain (such as Tylenol or acetaminophen) on a schedule? That was a great help to me since neither my OS nor my PCP would refill my script. It sounds like a simple regimen, but it worked for me and others in this forum.

You will heal and feel tons better with time and following the Bonesmart way. I guarantee that you will look back at your posts and marvel at the before and after. You will be glad and embrace your new knee.

I hope you have a blessed Mother’s Day.
 
@Babushelen .... I’m trying to stay on schedule with the Tylenol. Yesterday was a long day. I took extra time getting ready to visit my daughter and granddaughter. I didn’t want to look frumpy so I put makeup on and tried my best to look pretty. Haven’t been feeling too pretty as of my first TKR. I was only able to tolerate a couple hours playing with the baby and visiting. I drove for first time since end of March, 1/2 hr drive there, then back. So it was tiring. My knee wasn’t happy last night but my spirit and soul was!
 
I’m glad you enjoyed your visit! It’s good to be able to start back to things like this, even if the knee is a bit unhappy, that’s to be expected. Take it easy today to recoup, and remember your lovely visit yesterday. There will be more, and better, days ahead when your knees won’t complain as much.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom