TKR Acceptance and Understanding<

I can’t do my home exercises today, I’m in too much pain and discomfort. I tried but it’s hurting too much. I feel like I’m regresssing and not progressing. So I need to ice/elevate which makes me feel so guilty. I want to heal soooo badly and get my life going again because it’s been a long time and I’m constantly feeling exhausted. No sleep, only cat naps at night. It’s wearing me down and making me unmotivated I just want to sit here with my ice because that’s the only time I feel a bit of relief from this relentless pain and discomfort.
 
One month is still very early days! At one month I still couldn't stand for more than a few minutes without wanting to sit down. Neither of my knees was happy about standing. Neither did they like to sit with feet on the floor for any length of time; they'd swell and ache on standing. I did very few exercises (only at PT twice a week and not much then) and little walking. One month was not a good time. Don't expect much!

Please relax and find ways to be serene with your routine of elevating and icing most of the time. Take up a new TV show, or find some reading to enjoy. I took a lot of naps -- because the energy drain of TKR is very real and it knocks you back a lot. It's the body's way of saying "Slow down! And if you don't, I'll do it for you!"

Your body wants to heal. It doesn't want, or need, to get stronger right now. It just wants you to stay on the sidelines so it can heal that knee. :console2:
 
Thank you @SusieShoes i guess I’m expecting too much at this point. I’m feeling pressured to heal quickly and get back at work. I’ve got to understand and accept if my knee isn’t ready for the extra stress from PT, that I can’t force it to follow along with my timeline that I have in my mind for recovery. I’m doing more harm than good. I thought id be farther along by now by my own expectations. I cried at PT yesterday doing a certain exercise, my therapist told me to stop and made me sit down. I just want to be better. Badly. It’s been long past a year since my nightmare began with pain. It’s wearing me out. Day in and day out of the same thing over and over. And like I’ve said in past, my support system has crumbled. Every one of them, due to major family issues out of my control. I can’t just pick up the phone and call them. They were my shoulder and ear, and gave me encouragement. Not anymore. Too much heartbreak in my circle. So therefore, I’ll talk to my daughters dogs, and God even though I get no response back, at least they can listen. Right? (Huge sigh)
 
I just want to sit here with my ice because that’s the only time I feel a bit of relief from this relentless pain and discomfort.
That is exactly what you should be doing. Icing is great for reducing pain and swelling. It, along with elevating, will keep you off of your knee, which you should be resting as much as possible!

i guess I’m expecting too much at this point. I’m feeling pressured to heal quickly
Remember that you can not force your knee to heal any faster than your body can heal it. But, you can slow it down by not listening to it and doing too much. It, along with your body, is telling you to be gentle and patient with both knees. Your first knee hasn't even healed yet. It needs rest, too.

my support system has crumbled. Every one of them, due to major family issues out of my control.
Do you have a church family that you can turn to? They were what helped me to keep my sanity! I'm divorced and alone most of the time and had no one to talk to here but my friends from church. Or better yet, you call someone who is going through those crisis and just listen to them. Don't even complain about your pain or situation. Turn your attention to someone or something else. Prayer and my church friends got me through and they can you, too!
 
I was just wondering if there is a park near where you live which would be safer than you feel in your immediate neighborhood. It would get you outside and walking. If you are not yet driving, your daughter could take you on days she isn't working and Uber it on other days.
 
Is it ok to take acetaminophen AND ibuprofen at the same time? I’m trying to figure out a way to lessen knee and thigh pain.
 
Yes, it is OK, but go easy on the Ibuprofen, because it's a gastric irritant. Make sure you eat something with it.

The best way to lessen your pain is to rest, elevate and ice more. It's still such a short time since your surgery and you seem to be trying to do too much.
There's no way you can speed up this recovery, but you could slow it down if you don't give your knee enough time to rest and heal.
 
I’ve been reading quite a lot of recovery threads and getting more depressed every day. They are all so wonderful stories of great recoveries and I’m finding they are just bringing me down because I feel like a failure with my own recovery’s . I’m gonna take a break from Bonesmart and wish you all continued progress and success with your TKR’s. God Bless.
 
There are no failures. Everyone recovers at different rates, in different ways. Follow your destiny, and where you are, and where you are suppose to be. Comparison to others is not fair to yourself.
You will have wonderful stories to tell relating to your recovery a bit further down the line. You have had TWO major surgeries within 6 months. Be kind to yourself.
 
We will always find someone who had a better recovery than we did but there are plenty on here who struggled, too.

Read my recovery thread. I’ve had a somewhat average recovery with a lot of bumps along the way, and to be honest, I’m not yet happy with my outcome. I’m still sorry I had this surgery. I think there will probably be a revision somewhere in my future. And I am not happy about that.

Though I feel my recovery was somewhat average, to me it was very difficult. And it’s not over yet.

You’ve had a couple of posts recently where you were encouraging to someone else. I was so happy when I read those! Reaching out to others and commiserating with them helps everyone.

There’s a link to my thread in my signature.
 
I’ve been reading quite a lot of recovery threads and getting more depressed every day. They are all so wonderful stories of great recoveries and I’m finding they are just bringing me down because I feel like a failure with my own recovery’s . I’m gonna take a break from Bonesmart and wish you all continued progress and success with your TKR’s.
Please stay with us. This is the very time that you need support.

There are lots of people still struggling with their recovery - maybe you missed their threads? We all understand what you're going through.

Things are going to get better for you. All you need is time for that to happen.
 
Read my thread, too. I was coming along pretty well, then bam! I stepped in a hole, fell directly on my new knee and broke my foot and ankle. My knee hasn't been right since. My foot and ankle complain when I do extra work, too. You just haven't been reading the right threads. Many are much worse off than you are. Pray for them and for me, too!
 
There are just as many of us that have had problems recovering from our TKR as there are those who seem to sail through unscathed. I’ve had two knee replacements and have had problems with both of them. You just need to give it more time. Read either of my threads. I still am recovering from my second TKR and have slowly been moving forward. It’s a marathon, not a sprint.
 
I need you guys now more than ever. I cleaned the bathroom yesterday because I’m the type of person who needs to contribute, I can’t let someone take care of me while I just lay here icing. So I was in extreme pain last night. It was a rough evening. I’m so exhausted from all this. I seriously regret having this TKR done so soon after my first. I wish I had more time on my side in between surgeries. Today, leg up and icing. My self worth is very low and I’m beyond frustrated. My knee is obviously more swollen today, and I have lots of pain. My own fault I guess. I have PT tomorrow and I have to go. There’s no choice for me. Im looking for encouraging words, not you did too much or don’t go to PT. Im in my 5th week since TKR. Honestly, I wish I could just say, I quit, and put those old knee parts back in. Sounds nonsensical, but it’s exactly how I’m feeling.
 
You are in control of your Physical therapy. You have to attend they don’t have to cause you pain or bully you. You can do this!
 
Oh, my dear friend. You will get through this. Yes, you know already what I would say about your activity. Your knee needs one thing, but you have a greater need to uphold an image of yourself that won't let you sit still or depend on the help of others. Without that, your knee will just have to do the best it can to get better. It's healing still--only a month after surgery! At your stage, ALL of us are in some pain and swelling, especially after doing chores or exercises.

Do what you are able. Rest all you can, elevate your knee and ice all you can. Those things will help with the pain. I just iced this morning because twelve hours of a Big Italian Family baptism yesterday gave my left knee a sore spot (still took my morning walk, though!). Ice is wonderful for numbing minor pain.

You can't put your old knees back the way you were and, be honest, you really wouldn't want to. Remember your reasons for having this surgery. You were in so much pain. This surgery is challenging because the recovery is so very long. It's a very rare person who is back to anything close to normal activity until three months out, and for many not even then. Please be patient with your knee and yourself.

Your knee is not YOU. You are an amazing, strong person who is going through a rough patch, but you will emerge stronger on the other side of all this. :console2:
 
I just did 3 sets of 20 leg lifts tightening the quads and pushed my leg down onto ottoman 2x for 10 sec each and I’m excruciating pain. What is wrong with my knee if it can’t handle even these small amounts of therapy? I’ve walked around house getting water, bathroom, etc about 10x today as well. Seriously, all that isn’t that much to ask of my knee. Ugh.
 
That is not a small amount of exercise. Your knee was sawed in half, hammered, cemented back together. Walking is all you need to do. If you are excruciating pain, rest, ice elevate those knees. Yes, you are asking too much from your babies!
 
I just did 3 sets of 20 leg lifts tightening the quads and pushed my leg down onto ottoman 2x for 10 sec each and I’m excruciating pain. What is wrong with my knee if it can’t handle even these small amounts of therapy? I’ve walked around house getting water, bathroom, etc about 10x today as well. Seriously, all that isn’t that much to ask of my knee. Ugh.
You really are asking too much of your knee at this early stage of recovery. That's why it hurts.
If only you could ease off on all the things you're doing, you would have much less pain.

Things will improve, but by continuing to do too much you are slowing down that improvement.
 
My knee is obviously more swollen today, and I have lots of pain. My own fault I guess.

Im looking for encouraging words, not you did too much
I’m sorry but there are no encouraging words for your current situation. You cannot continue all this activity, at this early stage, and expect the pain to go away, your knee won’t work that way.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom