Guest viewing is limited

TKR Acceptance and Understanding<

There, there. :console2: Kick thoughts of surgery to the back of your mind and enjoy the rest of the week and the weekend. Do you celebrate Easter? It's a cheerful holiday. You know all the best tricks now and you'll have better recovery weather this time around, too.

Also, be open to the possibility that your left knee might surprise you and be an angel. :angel:
 
Oh Susie.... My OCD with my knees has kicked into high gear. Ugh. I’m looking forward to spending Easter with my daughters and granddaughter. Anxiety is cruel though and when it takes hold, it’s hard to shake, even with meds.
 
Enjoy time with your family, try to keep the surgery thoughts out of your mind, I know that's difficult, if not impossible. I think those of us who have staged TKR's, dread the next surgery because we know how tough it's going to be the first couple of weeks, but we also know the really hard times only last a few weeks. That's how I was anyway. I'm so glad to have both of mine done, now I just wish recovery moved a little faster.:beg:
 
@jboles my surgeries weren’t staged. My left knee just decided to crumble apart. It’s on it’s own schedule that I’m not particularly happy with. Hopefully it’ll be the easier knee to recover from tkr. This getting old stuff is highly overrated. Nothing gets easier as you get older, just more complicated and not at all embraceable. I envy you, you’re on your way through the worst part. It’s not too late for me to just get in my car and make a run for it. Well, not run, but roll away with pedal to the floor.
 
You will be just fine! Enjoy your family over the weekend. I didn’t gave my surgery much thought, until the morning of when I had to take the required antibacterial shower. Then the total fear set in! Trust the higher power that everything will turn out great.
 
@Needhope I was just using the term staged knee replacement because that’s what people on here say when replacements are a few months apart. Some are planned, others like yours, just happen. I truly understand what you mean about getting in the car and making a slow getaway! I had some of those same thoughts.
 
I can’t move my bed around so I’m going to have to figure out how to get in and out of it with more difficulty this time because it’s the left knee being replaced this time. It was fairly easy when I had my right done. I would back up to the mattress and lift my right leg up using my arms then placing it on bed, then put left leg up and shimmy myself to head pillows. I’m trying to explain with words how I did it, but it may not be coming out right. Without assistance, what’s the easiest way for me to get my left leg onto the bed? I know it’s a stupid question, but I can’t figure out how I’m gonna do this.
 
I had my left done. Right side of body in the bed. Place you right foot under the lower left calf, then lift up and swing as one unit. If facing the bed, it would be the right side of the bed.
 
In a word: practice. Start today. Put your right leg up as usual (by now you can do it without using your arms, I assume) and then practice getting your left leg up there. Perhaps you could use a leg lifter? A belt, strap or device that helps you lift a leg up onto a bed? Perhaps your leg will cooperate and you will be able to lift it using your own muscles. Could happen.

But practicing ahead of time will give you an idea of how you might do it.

Just for encouragement, I will tell you I was able to get both my legs up onto my bed and they were both brand new TKRs. So it can be done. :yes: Like you, I would start with hitching up the right hip, then the right leg, and work from there. It does help to have decent upper body strength for scootching around on the bed. Also, you will have nurses or aides to help you at the hospital, during which time you can refine your technique.
 
@Mutti3 yes that’s exactly what I was trying to explain. I think my right leg is strong enough now to help lift the left up.
@SusieShoes my bed is a queen and comes to about butt level. I need to get on my tippy toes to get on the mattress. I’m only 5’4” so I need the extra height. I’ve tried to practice it, but somehow manage to flop over and faceplant into the mattress. Of course I’m sticking my left leg straight out while attempting. It’ll be different once the leg has been cut and traumatized. I’ll practice again some more.
Thank you both :ok:
 
Could you possibly get a half step, so you don't have to stand on tippy-toes to get onto your bed?
Something like this?
[Bonesmart.org] Acceptance and Understanding<


You can use a leg lifter to help get that left leg on the bed.
[Bonesmart.org] Acceptance and Understanding<

You don't have to buy something, though. A strong scarf will do. I used an old dog's leash.

You can also tuck your right foot under your left heel or ankle and use one leg to help lift the other. You do need to have your bottom firmly on the bed for that one.
 
@Celle i sure do have a large supply of dog leashes. Could never get myself to part with them even though they haven’t been used for years. I’ll try that suggestion because it makes most sense financially right now. Thank you for the suggestion.
 
I used the strap for the first knee and it worked so well I'm taking it with me to the hospital for the left knee. That way I control how fast the leg is lifted and lowered not a nurse that's in a hurry
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom