MUA A Year and Still Tightness

What types of PT did you do at home right after the MUA and in the days following? Thank you kindly for any suggestions as I don't want to overdo and set myself back!
 
I am truly blessed to have a PT that understands not to push. I did do PT the afternoon after my MUA and everyday for 5 days. We did stretching for the IT band and quads, heel slides, basically gentle exercises. Mostly, we focused on the muscles above my knee as they were so tight and painful. For me, the deep muscle and tissue massages were what helped and still do. The PT also set up my stationary bike with a chair behind it so it was like a recumbent bike. I was able to pedal back and forth. My OS said that he considers my recovery to begin from the date of the MUA.

Good luck.
 
I am discouraged. I am 4.5 months out from my TKR and 2.5 months from MUA. Although my tight band and muscles have eased a great deal, I am still experiencing pain on the sides and directly above my knee. My OS said that he considers my recovery started at the time of my MUA so, technically, I am only 2.5 months in this journey. I have to say, my patience is truly being tested. In the morning, my knee feels pretty good but as the day progresses the pain level increases. I am using Tubigrip or an Ace Bandage in order to perform my ADL's. I planned my surgery so that I would be recovered in time to help the baby (due mid-March) and her Mommy. I am so worried that my stamina will hinder me helping on a daily basis until the baby's Mommy recovers. I am in need of suggestions and encouragement. Thank you.
 
Hi! I’m one month post op and although I have good bend at 122, I do experience the really painful muscles in my quads and calves. My knee always feels better in the morning, but pain sets in the longer the day progresses. I know I’m getting impatient in my progress and have had to just stop and listen to my body. Rest, ice and elevate when I need to!

I have an electric handheld shiatsu massager, and beginning about a week ago, my husband began massaging those areas in light, circular motion every night for about 30 minutes. Those muscles are so tender, he only applies as much pressure as I can tolerate. I’m sure the muscles would get better without massage, but I’ve seen improvement and it does feel good, Ask your Dr/PT if something similar might help you.

I’m going to look into Tubigrip. Have never heard of it until I found the great Bonesmart site.

You’re doing really well, considering you had MUA too. You’ll be holding that new little one very soon. Hope you get relief soon.
 
You say your pain is low in the morning but increases as the day goes on. Maybe you’re doing more than your knee is ready for. I know that’s not what you want to hear, but it’s worth considering.

I can relate to what you said about working at your quilting machine. It was quite a while before I could sit at my sewing machine. My chair swivels and I need enough bend to clear the leg of the table. That is getting better. I’m even getting up and down from the chair better. The room is carpeted so it’s hard to move my chair closer to the machine. Neither my back or my knee like that effort.

My main problem in the sewing room is that my knee bothers me when I lean forward and also when I turn around. I try not to let the knee pivot, but a turn still bothers it. The room is very small so I’m up and down from the chair and doing alot of turning and leaning over a table to prepare the fabric. The good news is I can stand for quite a while now. I do have to take a lot of breaks though.

Eventually we will all get through this. Every day is one day closer.
 
@Jockette you are correct, I am probably doing too much. The last 4.5 months have been filled with elevating and a feeling of isolation. I never dreamed it would take this long to recover. I want to clean my house, mow my grass, quilt, play with my grandchildren. It gets frustrating. I know I will get well just wish it was sooner rather than later. Thanks for your reply.
 
Thanks @Whatdidido. I never dreamed I would still be having issues at almost 5 months. I get frustrated and teary eyed. I am a very independent person and being dependent on others to do my housecleaning, yard work, etc. is very hard. I have read many threads here and it has helped me maintain my sanity. Thanks for your reply.
 
@4quilts - yes, this recovery is a real trial of patience.
It does take a full year for complete recovery but it's worth being patient now, if you can.
Even though it seems like a really long time, it's just a small investment in the future life of your new knee.

I know it's hard to ask for help when you're an independent type - I am too - but remember that you would help other people if they needed help. By asking for help, you're giving other people an opportunity to help others.

This article may help you to feel better about asking for help:
Nurturing mother: how to let go and accept help
 
@Whatdidido Before surgery, I bought plastic chair pads and used duct tape to put them together for my long arm. I have a stool that rolls so the chair pads over carpeting made it easier. I started quilting a couple weeks ago. I do 2 rows, then elevate and ice. It is a challenge but at least I am doing something.
 
@Celle Yes, I would help someone in my position. Most of the time, I am positive. Sometimes though, this recovery just gets to me. Thanks for your post.
 
Me, too. And I’m almost a year!
 
The wonderful thing about Bonesmart is the members understand. Thank you.
 
Patience is a critical element of this recovery and sometimes it is really hard to find. There were many days I cried out of frustration and lack of independence, but every week got a little better. You’ll get there and in the meanwhile we’ll be here. :yes:
 
@4quilts, what was the date of your MUA. We can add that to your signature. (You could also do it yourself if you prefer. Here's a thread that on how to create a signature.)

Your MUA comes up sometimes in your comments and it would be helpful to have the date for reference. Thanks!
 
Welcome to Bonesmart, fellow quilter!

Not to discourage you but at 10 months my knee is still tight, though my bend is better, and at times I can’t believe I’m not further along. I was reminded on another post a little while ago that the knee knows what it’s doing and it will take as long as it takes and we can’t hurry it up. I’ve been reading this forum since 4 weeks post op and you’d think I wouldn’t still have to be reminded about how long recovery takes.

This community has a Social Room and there is a quilting thread if you’d like to check it out:
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/quilters-or-fabric-artists.43472/

I am also a quilter...I head up an online quilting ministry. I went to the Quilters thread but don’t k is how to post anything. ‍️
 
I am now 6 months post MUA and almost 8 months post RTKR. Although my knee is still stiff and sometimes painful, I felt like I was making a tiny bit of progress every day. I knew that I would get totally better, until yesterday. I worked outside in my yard cleaning deck furniture and the deck for 2 days taking numerous breaks. I wanted to be able to sit on the deck and enjoy the sunshine. I overdid it. My knee is not happy. The front and top of the kneecap is stiffer and achy. I have been resting and icing since last evening. This is so discouraging. I feel like my life has been on hold for so long.

I am grateful to have this forum so I can search to find members who have experienced this set back. Thanks for being here for me.
 
4quilts,
What your experienced is normal after over doing while preparing your deck. You are only 7 months from your MUA, TKR 8 months in this year long+ recovery.
Go back to Rest, Ice, Elevation, and Medication. Give your knee time to settle down, then keep in mind it is still a baby and needs lots of TLC.

Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom