MUA A Year and Still Tightness

I hope it helps to build muscle and reduce pain.
 
Unfortunately, I was riding a tram at the airport two weeks ago and was unable to secure a seat. I ended up banging both of my knees on the side of the tram car. Now not only am I dealing with the stiffness in my right knee but my left knee is hurting. If the left one does not get better soon, I will probably have to have fluid drained since that is usually what has to be done. The walking schedule that @KarriB shared with me is helping.

@KarriB and @Jockette I am now walking 16 minutes twice a day. Today, I actually walked up a slight incline and it wasn't so bad. The walking down was harder than the going up. I still struggle going foot over foot up the stairs. Although the stiffness is still in my operated knee, it does not feel as bad as when I started the walking regimen. I hope the improvement continues.

I continue to believe that eventually my right TKR will stop hurting and the stiffness will go away. The knee itself is very strong.
 
I’m glad the walking seems to be helping. Where do you walk?

So sorry about the tram incident. Ugh, sometimes we just can’t win. :console2:
 
Hi @4quilts

I'm now 13 months past my RTKR and MUA. I had a 12 month check up with my consultant in January and I mentioned the tightness around my knee, he told me that for some people it just never goes away :( I really feel for you, it must be so frustrating for it still to be there all this time after your surgeries. I've just decided to accept it and if it gets better then it gets better ! Luckily I can do steps up and down no problem but still find I have the stiffness most days. I like to walk too, I can walk long distances but pay for it the next day but I refuse to be beaten !
I hope you get an improvement once your walking plan progresses.
 
It's normal for going down to be harder than going up. I'm still very leery of steep hills when having to go down them. Walking sticks help a lot. I love to hike in the mountains, but still go down sideways instead of straight down, foot over foot.
 
@Jockette. I am walking outside around my neighborhood when weather permits. Otherwise, I walk in my garage or up and down the hallway. I set the timer as @KarriB suggested.

@hopalong61 the revision surgeon I saw said that everything looked great and that I was just one of the unfortunate ones without a good outcome. I know that the prosthesis is strong but the muscles and nerves are still recovering. The walking is helping and I am trying not to over extend. I started out with 10 minutes twice a day and now I am up to 16 minutes twice a day. These increments are doable and do not seem like a chore.

@sistersinhim It has been so long since I have been able to enjoy hiking in the woods or anywhere that the trail or road was uneven. My knees have been bad for 20 years due to arthritis so I have had to be very careful. I just want my right knee to not be so stiff and cause pain. It doesn't have to be 100% but I would like it not to be what I think about when I am planning a trip or a get together that will require me to be standing for any length of time.
 
I have not started Karri’s walking program yet, I was waiting for my recent second opinion. Suspecting that my implant is loose I’m afraid to start walking more than I have to and doing damage.

The dr said my implant is not loose, but again, he’s going by just my X-ray. I was really hoping for a bone scan. He didn’t feel it was worth doing one.

He thinks it’s a nerve issue. I’m pretty sure I do have a nerve issue but I’m still not convinced it’s just that. Time will tell when I see the neurologist next month. I’m hoping to try gabapentin to see if it will help.

And, this recent Dr said that 20% of people don’t like their new knee. He didn’t say that flippantly, and I’m sure there are a variety of reasons they don’t.
 
@Jockette I had a CT scan. The OS and the revision OS reviewed it with me. Both say that everything is in place and not loose. The revision OS put my knee and leg through strenuous maneuvers and it responded well without any signs of loosening. He was very thorough.

I have also heard that 20% of people are not satisfied with their knee surgeries. I am not giving up and will continue to do the walking schedule that was recommended by @KarriB. I certainly understand why you want to wait. I am surprised that the revision OS did not do a CT scan or some other tests besides the x-rays on your knee.

I have excellent range of motion and bend is great. It is just stiff and, at times, painful.

I will keep you in my prayers.
 
I am surprised that the revision OS did not do a CT scan or some other tests besides the x-rays on your knee.
I am finding that this is pretty common in the states. I went back to my OS, so I thought, because of new pain concerns in my trk and was sent for xrays, too. I never did see my OS, just his PA. She said everything looked good and has sent me to PT. Is that the common practice here?

All of us went into this surgery with high hopes of a successful outcome.
 
@Jockette and @sistersinhim I did not even consider that I would have a less than perfect outcome. I figured I would have the surgery in October and, when my granddaughter was born in March, I would be good as new and be ready to help my daughter after my granddaughter's birth.

Am I functioning now, yes I am. Is it without pain and stiffness, no it isn't. Before the surgery, I was in pain but I had figured out what braces to wear and medications to take to be functioning. 16 months after the surgery, I am trying to figure out the combination to function with the least amount of pain and stiffness. It can be very discouraging but I can't go back, I can only move forward.
 
I’m glad that the walking is helping a bit. It did take me a few month to build up to 40 minutes at one time. I just wish I enjoyed it (I’m laughing and shaking my head). At this point it has become a habit and even though I don’t enjoy walking, it does help me to get outside even when it’s cold. It has helped me to lose 55lbs which has helped my knees and my dr is very happy.

I fell last week, landing on both my knees and my TKR did fine, but my left knee not so much.
 
If we aren't a patient person going into this recovery, it will certainly make us become more so.
 
@KarriB I am so sorry you fell. My worst fear is falling. Even when you are careful, you can trip over your own feet.

Right now I am walking 16 minutes twice a day. My goal is to get to 30 minutes twice a day. I hope it just becomes habit for me. Right now, I look at it as therapy.

Although I had a TKR on my left knee in 2010, it has never been totally right and retains fluid when I bump it or if I kneel on it. My right TKR is only 16 months old so I am very careful with it. Consequently, getting up from the floor without kneeling on either knee is quite the show.

Patience is a requirement for this recovery. When I am visiting my children or friends overnight, one of my concerns is the bed I will be sleeping in. I now take a piece of foam from a mattress pad to use as a cushion for my knee when I am not at home. I had to take an extra suitcase on my last vacation to accommodate my foam and my gel pack. Of course, TSA searched that bag. They probably thought I was nuts for carrying foam in my suitcase. Oh, well.
 
I went back to the revision OS since I have fluid in both knees He did not want to drain it due to fears of infection. He prescribed Celebrex 200 mg. twice a day and wanted me to go back to PT. He recommended a different PT than I had seen previously. After 3 different PT offices, none of which had experience with my long-term/after-TKR issues, I was not too keen to go to another one. I decided to go to a chiropractor to see if it would give me any relief. I found one who had worked with patients who had muscle issues after a TKR. I have had 2 sessions and I will say my IT Band is not nearly as tight. I will see him 2 times per week for the next couple weeks to see if it continues to help.

I have also been using KT tape. I started out taping both knees on the sides and across the quad above the knee cap. This gave me so much relief. I have in the last week reduced to taping quads on both knees and only tape on the outside of the RTKR knee. By taping, I can stand for longer periods and it is not horrifically painful. I am also up to 20 minutes twice a day with the walking regimen recommended by @KarriB.

I am focusing on the fact that I could be so much worse. I am almost 18 months out from my RTKR and 16 months from the MUA. I am looking forward to the day when my knee is without pain and it will be.
 
I decided to go to a chiropractor to see if it would give me any relief. I found one who had worked with patients who had muscle issues after a TKR.
How did you find a chiropractor with that experience? How many did you have to call?

Interesting that the tape is helping.
 
@Jockette I first learned about KT tape from one of your earlier posts. I then had a PT who had limited knowledge and tried putting on the tape. I researched and watched YouTube videos and figured out how to apply the tape. It took trial and error to find out what helped. I am now able to stand for longer periods and work in my yard. This has been important to me because I love to cook and, if I can't take care of my yard and house on my own, then I might as well move, which I don't want to do. Together with icing and the walking regimen, I am making progress.

I was at the point that I thought why not try a chiropractor. I was referred to an office of several practitioners and talked with the assistant about who had experience with muscle issues after a TKR. I met with the chiropractor I am seeing and he said that he had patients over his 15 years with similar issues and he was able to help many of them. After a thorough examination and a review of my x-rays, his opinion is that my issues stem from my lower back and upper thighs which is affecting my quads. I had my 3rd appointment today. He focuses on the muscle tightness in my lower back and thighs and he does stretching exercises for my quads (totally different from what the 3 PT's did). I had seen a chiropractor several years ago for another issue and I was not a fan. His technique was jerking and twisting which was very uncomfortable. This chiropractor uses a pneumatic type table that he sets the degree of pressure. A certain part of the table will raise in a problem area and then he will push down on that area. This is done 3 times and then he moves to another area. He then does stretching. Before the procedure, he does heat and electrical stimulation. I know I have not explained what he does very well but I have never come across this type of chiropractic procedure.

I will keep you posted as to my progress. Hope you are doing well @Jockette.
 
I have been to different chiropractors over the years, and they do have different techniques. My best one is in Ohio. When I visit my kids I do make an appointment with her. I really wish I could have seen her throughout my knee recovery. She also does the heat and electric stimulation at the beginning of each appointment. She uses the tape, and also incorporates massage into her adjustments.

After I moved to Delaware I saw 3 chiropractors before I found one with a technique that suited me. I like her, but she doesn’t do massage or taping.

I have not taped my knee in a year, not since my had that bad skin reaction to the tape, which I never had when using the tape on my back.

I seem to be handling going up steps better all of a sudden, so I am a bit encouraged.
 
Glad to hear that stairs are better for you. It is so wonderful when we accomplish something that has been elusive during this recovery. For me, being able to quilt on the long arm without sitting down has made me feel like shouting from the roof tops. I still cannot do stairs foot over foot. That will come one day.

Interesting about the tape. I wonder if it was the type of tape. Maybe the adhesive was different than what was on the tape that was used on your back.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom