MUA A Year and Still Tightness

So true @4quilts! Luckily I had an odd but reasonable day today. Bit boring interspersed with painful but manageable moving about. So much to remember: move around the flat fairly regularly, ice, elevate, loosen off ankles, try heel slides and just plain doing the simplest tasks is very hard with two sticks!
 
Those crutches make things very difficult. I couldn't even use them. I was stuck with a walker. At least you don't have to lug that around! Manageable pain is a good thing. So is getting up and moving around! You're on the right road, that's for sure!
 
I am 10 months since TKR and 8 months since MUA. I am still going to PT. We have isolated part of my problem is IT Band Syndrome. When the PT uses the foam roller on my thigh for the IT Band, it hurts. After use, it is sore but seems to be relieving the tightness on the right side of my thigh and the knee. I still cannot go up and down stairs foot over foot.

We have also been using the KT tape on the sides of the knee and across the quads above the knee. This takes the tightness away temporarily and I am able to function fairly normally. I leave it on for 2 days and then let the skin rest. We have tried other ways to tape but this seems to be the best for relief of the tightness and pain.

Do you classify the tightness as pain? I believe that is true in what I have read on BoneSmart. When the PT asks, I explain that it is severe tightness more than pain but I have to give it a pain number for their records.


I am a very positive person and believe that I will eventually be pain/tightness free. It is just taking so long and it is so frustrating. When I talk with people who have recovered in 3 months, I am so envious. There are times I wish I had not had this surgery and lived with the pain that I had from arthritis. There is no doubt that the prosthesis is stronger and my knee is more stable but the limitations and constant tightness and pain can be overwhelming. I don't know what I would do without BoneSmart as a resource. The members give me hope.
 
Last edited:
Have you tried taking a break from PT and seeing how your knee reacts? That tightness may be from internal swelling.
 
I can't believe that it has been a year since my RTKR October 9, 2017. This has been a difficult journey. Like so many, I wish I could go back to before my surgery. I no longer have bone on bone pain but now deal with rubber band tightness and weakness. I had pretty much resigned myself to accepting the tightness and the inability to go up or down stairs, dance or do anything without thinking of my knee.

I have been diagnosed with muscle atrophy of the quads and hamstrings. My OS recommended a Physical Therapist that specializes in muscle atrophy and he has had several patients like me who have a good, solid prosthesis but struggled with functionality. I have had 4 sessions with him and his exercises and approach are totally different than any that I have done before. He focuses on core strength as well as strengthening the quads and hamstrings. He has given me hope as he has been able to help TKR patients who struggled as I am struggling. He does not guarantee that he will get me back to 100% but he believes that he can help me. These exercises and stretching are not painful and he emphasizes that I should not do any of them if they cause pain.

This approach may not be for everyone but I felt as if I had nothing to lose. I will not allow a PT to do anything painful and his philosophy agreed with this approach.

I have to keep hoping and stay optimistic.
 
How do I change my title? I want it to be "A Year and Still Tightness"
 
@4quilts,
I've updated your title for you.
Glad you have found a PT you can work with that respects your pain and limitations.
 
:console2:
I am trying real hard to accept my situation, too. I can’t do stairs either, foot over foot. I’ve decided that’s on overrated experience. I can do them one foot at a time. It’s rare I have to do them anyway. My son’s condo is on the second floor. When I go there I take my cane and I can manage going up foot over foot. Maybe if I had stairs to do once a day I’d get stronger to do it better, but I don’t. My non operated knee doesn’t like the stairs either (which is why I had the surgery in the first place) so it is what it is. I’m more interested in keeping the other knee happy then in pushing the already unhappy knee to do more.

The good part about my less than optimal outcome is that at 18 months my leg has relaxed more than ever. My bend continues to improve. I’m happy about that.

I still have that tight feeling, pants still bother me, weather does sometimes, but I’m spite of those things I’ve come a long way since the day of surgery.

My bowling is getting worse, so I don’t know if it has something to do with my knee or not. I’m not happy about that.

I think some knees/legs just need a really long time to recover. Mine is one of them.
 
Thanks @pumpkin.

@Jockette it is good to hear from you. It is so frustrating. I don't like to "envy" anyone but I sure do "envy" those that have a good outcome and are back to normal in 3 months. I keep telling myself that I can't go back, I can only go forward. I am okay going up and down the stairs one step at a time. It would be nice, however, to use the stairs without thinking about my knee.

In just a few sessions and doing the new exercises and strengthening, I have noticed a difference. He is a private PT not affiliated with a practice. I like his positive attitude. He told me that if he did not think he could help, he would tell me so.
 
The PT sessions for muscle atrophy quit helping. I had an appointment with my OS and had a CT scan done. The CT scan did not show anything wrong with the knee. I then saw a revisionist last week. He reviewed all the tests that I have had done and all the records. I spent a half hour with him during which he manipulated my knee, leg, muscles and, unfortunately, he found nothing wrong. I have good range of motion, great extension and the prosthesis is strong. My problem is standing for any length of time and going up stairs foot over foot. There are times that the knee does not bother me if I am walking. It does not bother me when I am sitting. If I cook dinner or clean the house, I have to take breaks or the knee screams.

In another thread I noticed that @KarriB had similar issues with standing and devised a walking routine that helped her. @KarriB would you be kind enough to share that routine. I can walk just fine, in fact the knee feels better after I walk or use the recumbent bike. So, possibly, I need to strengthen the knee through walking.

I appreciate any advice or suggestions.
 
As I was reading this I thought of Karri’s walking so I’m glad you tagged her. Wouldn’t it be awesome if doing it like she did was the answer for you!
 
It would be very, very awesome. With the weather being so cold and icy, I have been using my garage as a track to get my steps in.
 
Yes standing for any length of time was difficult and painful. Walking was actually better, but not great. I didn’t think there was anything wrong with my TKR, as it always felt strong and my ROM is good. I did feel my weight and/or infection could’ve been the culprit. So I began researching on line how to begin a walking regimen at about 3 years post op. I found something that I thought I could do which was just walking 10min 2x a day for a week, after the week you were to add 5 min and I continued this for several months. I was careful not to take on any steep hills, but there was one smallish hill to go down and back up again.

In the beginning there was some (not terrible) pain, but as the week wore on the pain lessened and eventually stopped. I always had my phone which I would set for the allotted time and a cane. I never walked more than I was supposed to. My PTs had done strength work with me, but I feel strongly that the best exercise I’ve done is walking. My legs feel better if I walk and ride every day.

But here’s the most important thing to know, I HATE TO EXERCISE. I walk about 2.5 miles 5/7 days a week and I am still waiting for those endorphins to make it enjoyable. I ride my recumbent bike every day, walk everyday and in the summer swim and the only thing I enjoy is swimming. My PCP has been very happy with me though because the walking (I always rode my bike but it didn’t do what walking did for my knee) has helped me lose weight and just be in better physical shape.
 
Oh, did I mention is was 24° when I walked this morning? Brrr, but in the winter I try to walk around noon when there are no shadows and it’s a little warmer, but I had things to do this afternoon. Treadmill just didn’t work for me. I found it painful and couldn’t get into a rhythm, then there was the fact that I could always just get off, something I can’t do in the middle of a walk.
 
I am only 2 months from having my first knee replaced. Just wanted to add something about the walking. Walking or standing too long on land definitely makes me swell, but walking in a pool has been Simply Amazing. Because you are so much lighter in a pool, you can walk normally and move in ways you cannot on land. It is a great way to work your muscles without overdoing it. My PT has had me a dog walking sideways and backwards as this just works different muscles and different stretches in different ways. The pool also provides some mental and emotional benefit as you really do feel like you can move much more normally with more comfort. The water pressure is also good for your tissues. I could not return to the pool until week 6, due to a tiny open spot where Stitch was sticking out, but have been back for about 3 weeks and have made Leaps and Bounds in my progress ever since. If you try it again really slowly as the pool can make you believe you can do more and it's easy to do too much. Of course not everyone can access a pool, but just some food for thought for those who might. One last note, I live in Canada so walking outside in winter is not very safe or viable, the pool is a great option and as I stated before, the mental and emotional benefits of it are as important if not even more so than the physical benefits. Good luck in everyone's recovery.
 
I always found that walking was the best exercise for me. In fact it was the only one I did after my last TKR. I'm now much better and actually enjoy walking. I like to meet dog walkers and pass the time of day (and stroke the lovely dogs!). Introducing shallow steps helped and now I can usually, but not always, manage alternating feet on the steps.
I'm back at Aquafit tomorrow morning so will see how the underwater exercise goes!
 
Let us know how it goes @4quilts ! I’ll be thinking of you on my walks. Today it was too cold and dreary so I walked inside Walmart!
 
Today it was too cold and dreary so I walked inside Walmart!
I did store walking, also. For me it was Target, as ours is small and not usually crowded during the day, on a weekday. Early on the shopping cart made a great incognito walker!
 
Thanks, everyone. I started the timed 10 minute walks today. Since it is icy outside, I walked in my garage pretending that it was a track. I will let you know my progress @KarriB.

I do not have access to a pool locally. Hopefully, I can find one not too far away and start exercising in the pool. Thanks for the suggestion @Dkm. Let us know how your Aquafit goes @Spex10 .
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom