Guest viewing is limited

THR A new world..there better be coffee

I’m sure you feel relieved by your checkup with the OS.. and three cheers for the Lounge Dr!!
Humor me and do some deep slow breathing while you're all propped up. :wink:
Seriously though, its all good news.
Enjoy your holiday weekend!!
:SUNsmile:
 
Hope you woke up today feeling a wee bit better, @mainegirl1 Interesting that the prescribed pain meds aren't working at all, while OTC do seem to provide some relief. If you knee is all black and swollen, I can see why it might be very painful and the only real fix for that is time to let the bruising and swelling subside. Resting and trying to be patient (yes, dreary prospect perhaps but so necessary) really will work in the end. By the way, I own a card making program and use it all the time--birthdays, holidays, sympathy cards, etc. You can personalize them and use ribbons and glitter glue to enhance them. It's very satisfying and saves money, too. Hope today is better than yesterday.
 
Hmm, we usually hear from you by now. Hoping all is well.
Receiving the release to drive :driver: one can only imagine what you may be up to.
Look forward to hearing about your weekend plans....I think? :chinstroke:
Happy Saturday...I hope you have a lovely holiday weekend!
@mainegirl1
 
I missed my first drive.. Hubby went to the dump before it closed at 11 am
Why? Cause I was sleeping.. I was not in pain last night and have NO idea why I did not fall asleep though it appears I don't really like long hours with the Lounge Doctor.. After kicking it out at 1 am I slept through till 6 went to pee went back to bed and woke up at 11 am.. Oddly I prefer sleeping on the right side and resumed that last night...not bad. I am not a back sleeper. The staples left yesterday.

I would love to be on the water but the Labor Day crazies with their over powered boats make the water choppy .. I will wait a week or so to take out the kayak.. ( we have a dock engineered for disabled folks)

While I would love to drive I need a destination.. Maybe tonight we will drive to a high point so we can see Northern Lights which are predicted to be awesome.

Gotta get the camera ready.. Night is not the time to find the batteries are dead.

I expect that I will rejoin the ODIC club several times and pay the necessary dues of rest time.
 
You're getting some decent sleep it seems. I imagine getting rid of the staples is a huge relief.
I didn't have them and I'm thankful...whew! They look so awful to me (Frankenstein) and I can't imagine why some surgeon's still favor them. Ok, I'll shut up now.

A drive with hubs to see the Northern Lights tonight sounds fun. Awesome spectacle that should be.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed you DON'T join the ODIC several times. Go at a slow steady space and you wont miss out on any days while trying to recover from a set-back :wink: At least TRY to behave :yes:
Enjoy the weekend!
@mainegirl1
 
Sounds like you got your medical answers and know exactly how to proceed. Always excited to look forward to fall and I'm sure your weather in Maine will reflect it before ours in Western PA!
I have been the opposite of you in my recovery attitude with this hip, a slug with no motivation. Better work on changing that, lots of fall plans. Enjoy your kayak! Wonderful that you're sleeping.. they say you heal while you sleep and you have been short of that lately. Happy Labor Day weekend!
 
Slept so well.. Want to sleep nevertheless. At two weeks it is wonderful.
Off all meds. Walked a half a mile. Watching Fit Bit. If I hurt later I scale back.

I think there is a two week period of agony followed by peace.. Peace means watch it! I might go out tomorrow in the kayak. Driving is not seeming to be an issue though I only drove 50 miles today( to the grocery store and back and it is not stop and go driving. And we went out to breakfast which due to substitute cooks and delayed meals involved a 90 minute stay in a hard chair.

I did terrorize the other patrons in the grocery with the hot rod mobility cart they supply however. Man it is fun and I will play as long as I have a legit excuse.

Should go to bed now and snuggle again. aaah.. There is relief sooner or later!
 
@Jaycey.
I do have a restriction..No spinning on the operated leg.. Otherwise nothing.. I have put the "sick" recliner away and am back on the family sofa..

I am still too nervous to attempt climbing the outside landscape stairs normally ( with cane as I don't have handrails) although I do go down them normally with cane. ( they are not seven inches tall as standard stairs are.. more like four)

After my TKR the one fear I had a great deal of trouble getting over was the fear of falling on stairs..

I am practicing on a gym step in my family room so my leg gets a little reacquainted with going up.. It is only six inches high.. I will try one step going to the second floor.. I remember doing this from my TKR

aah it is raining.. no kayaking today.. Gray and fall like.. The trees are starting to turn. Maybe I can coerce hubby into clothes shopping in a store... Not sure I want to drive the hour each way and then walk in the store and shop alone. I do enjoy a driver though I have been cleared to drive.

At two weeks hooray.. the log leg has left so yes you won't need a belt to get into bed forever.
 
Good Morning :wave:
Forgive me, but I'm relieved it's raining and you aren't kayaking today. The thought of you attemptimg that worried me. Re: shopping - At only two weeks post op, sitting in the car for an hour each way would've caused me discomfort, add to that walking around while shopping and I think you could be setting yourself up for the ODIC.

Because you're very active and I'm assuming in good physical shape, I'm sure it's difficult for you to sit and chill, but it is advised at this early date. Please consider the Activity Progression for THR as a rough guideline -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/
Some will lag behind and some will excel, but hopefully not to the degree you're contemplating. Not just yet anyway.

It's good to hear you're no longer experiencing log leg, or need assistance in lifting your leg. :yay:
My wish for you is that your desire to be patient over powers your tendency to over achieve. I would hate to see you experience an extended set-back, or worse yet an accident causing a dislocation.

Please take my thoughts as care and concern, not a lecture. I want to see you thrive and get back to the active life your accustomed to...when the time is right.

Sending a hug :friends:
 
I agree with the 2 week corner @mainegirl1 Yesterday and today I am feeling just a bit different than before, less sore. Still pain with moving. Off oxy and taking tramadol. Wednesday is my 2 week. This surgery has been more painful than the other hip. I have nothing to gain from forcing any activity issue, so am taking it slow. It gets to a point during my day where I just have to elevate and ice.
I am a little impatient just having done this recently, but for me I have to listen to my body and get a grip. But does feel good to be two weeks out and hopefully past the worst of it though! Wishing you continued progress!
 
Sitting in a car for an hour is required to see the Doctor! Its two hours round trip.. I am fortunate. Others have a six hour round trip..
Well aware of the possibilities and how it feels to be in the ODIC( had knee done not that long ago) but..

I guess I should not say I have already been out to dinner three times in two weeks ( which is not good for the waist) and have been to the grocery store about seven times albeit with a mobility cart and assistant shopper whom to bang the cart against the shins. Next time I will ditch the cart as frankly it is a PITA!

I must get moving as my cardiologist says I have to get going.. The heart is important too.. Its a balancing act for sure.

We are in a rural area with no paved roads and not many services. Takeout pizza just doesn't happen. IF you have to go somewhere for a service its either bike 10 miles each way with a vertical gain of 1000 feet or..drive. Biking is something I would love to do next year.

But no to kayaking today... I have a game date with the neighbors.. they are the next house over about a quarter a mile away. I will take the cane.. ( now where did I leave it?:heehee:)

So far pain free even with no Tylenol.. I watch carefully to see if anything swells ( usually my foot) I do some light stretches in the am that seems to help( and my exercises on the gentle activity sheet my OS gave me.. PT in a month maybe but not sooner.. I miss my exercise class)

The odd thing is that I was able to kayak just fine before the surgery ( a few days before we did a pretty long ocean day trip) and the getting in and out methods I developed to avoid pain then are still useful now. Same for entering and exiting a car.

Thanks for the hug @Layla I will try to avoid the "I told you so" lecture!:angel:
 
Sorry about no kayak trip today, @mainegirl1, but a game night date with neighbors sounds like it will be a fun way to finish off the holiday weekend. I, too, can't imagine how one would get in and out of a kayak comfortably (I was even nervous going to a barbecue where I thought there was only going to be picnic table seating!) but you are someone who loves that and perhaps your pre-surgery tricks for getting in and out will work post-surgery as well. And how nice to read that you're pain free and not having to take anything--wonderful news! I probably didn't take anything either after two weeks, but then and now I still have the dull ache and stiffness. But for me, and I suspect for you as well, it's not enough to require medication to cope. I also get the need to move some to make sure your heart is getting enough exercise. I am in somewhat the same boat, knowing that cardiac health really requires exercise and if you, like me, have a loathsome family history of cardiac problems, you are undoubtedly motivated to get out there and do something despite joint replacement. Hope you find something to do until your game night this evening. Perhaps a walk will suffice? Whatever--enjoy!
 
I must get moving as my cardiologist says I have to get going.. The heart is important too.. Its a balancing act for sure.

Of course, I understand.

You also can't avoid the car ride to the doctor. You've been pretty active already with three dinner outings and multiple trips to the grocery store. Your energy amazes me. Its wonderful that you're not dealing with pain. You're lucky.

Enjoy your game date with the neighbors later on today!
 
I'll be singing in the rain on the walk to the neighbors! It is POURING.. But it is warm. The latest hurricane forecast has Dorian visiting us next weekend.. Or just off the coast.. At any rate the surf will be EPIC and I have to be able to get to my favorite lighthouse! A little bit of uneven ground but I plan to stay off the cliffs. Yes I am in the achy but tolerable stiffness.. Fit bit reminds me to move a little every half an hour. When I get up in the morning after 9 hours of sleep I need a hubby to unfold me.. stiff!
 
A little bit of uneven ground but I plan to stay off the cliffs.

:yikes: What shall we do with you?!

Hopefully Dorian loses strength. Prayers for all in her path.

Can't recall if I ever asked you, but residing where you do..have you ever done the Cabbage Island Clambake? We did a couple of times and enjoyed it. Probably wouldn't be too exciting for you, but living in another part of the country, we enjoyed it as something very different.

Stay safe on your walk in the rain to the neighbors. No slipping now :no-fin:
 
@Layla I never did the walk.. I never did anything.. I did my inside exercises and fell asleep on the couch..
This energy drain sure hits at odd times.. Plans go poof... I want to go mall shopping.. I want I want.. I sleep. That today was pitch black helped.

I never did a Cabbage Island clambake. The prices are very reasonable and that island is in one of the areas we are fond of sea kayaking in.. There is an all tide grooved concrete ramp at Ocean Point.. Slippery seaweed is never my friend.. so in old age I pick grooved ramps that are secure.

I am excited for Saturday.. Dorian will be close enough so that the surf will provide lots of photo opportunities at any beach near us. My daughter is working for FEMA and was sent off at dinnertime to command center in Texas
She hopes Dorian hits her money pit of a home..! Home for her is Connecticut.. She will be missing the first day of school but the older one has a Mustang and drives ( he saved all his money for it) and the younger is in 8th grade. Dad stays home. Both my daughters came here for a few days each which really made recovery seem shorter.

You mention slip and slide. Leaf drop season is about a month away. I expect that even in northern climes where we have such a short summer there is an advantage in having a healed hip before the really slippery stuff starts. I don't think I would feel as good about this op were it in December.

I am wondering about going up stairs normally with a cane.. Alternating feet ahead.. But the implant is not cemented and I best ask my surgeon if this is a good idea with so much stress on new hip.. I am going downstairs alternate feet unless I catch myself.
 
We got a record 3.18 inches of rain just last night, boy did it come down. That's usually all the effects we get from hurricanes here in Western PA, buckets of rain. I'm sure you have quite a few stories from your neck of the woods. I went to Maine once, stayed in Kennebunkport, Camden, and saw Acadia Nat'l park.
Breathtaking. It's a 16 hr drive for us. Would love to go back some day.
I inadvertently went foot over foot up the steps very soon after my last op and it was the wierdest feeling I ever had not painful at all but like there was no support to bear my weight, almost fell. That's because it's been 62 years since I was a toddler and cant remember that's how you have to do steps for a while. I would think down would be easier. You could ask your OS.
PT is coming to the house for one more week then I'll get my script for outpt. Really like my home PT guy, and he answers all my questions
Stay safe in the weather!
 
I got a message from the OS saying no for four weeks. Its not like I have forgotten as presurgery two weeks ago I was ascending normally one foot per stair.. But the implant is uncemented and I have to give the osteophytes time to work.

Meanwhile I stand at the bottom and put the foot of the operated leg on the stairs just for flexion..
 
Good Morning and Happy Tuesday,
I'm glad it was pitch black yesterday because it made you sleepy tired and quieted the "I want, I want" voices in your head. :heehee: A little happy nappy time never hurt anyone in early recovery.

I agree about slipping on leaves, then shortly thereafter worries of slipping on the dreaded snow /ice and adjusting to the frigid temps once again. Ugh! For now I'll enjoy the beautiful temps we're having and the sights and scents that Autumn brings before its all blown away in the wind.

Dorian sure seems to be slow moving. It's ironic that something that can cause such devastation for many can also present some amazing and surreal photo ops. I hope you're able to capture the fury while remaining safe. Prayers for all in Dorians path. The photos coming out of the Bahamas are heart breaking.

I hope you have a beautiful day! @mainegirl1
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom