Guest viewing is limited

THR A new world..there better be coffee

You have a healthy attitude and it's obvious no grass grows under your feet.
I never took the time to get into Downton Abbey. Wondering if I see the movie if it will prompt me to watch the series? I know it was very well received. I hope you enjoy it!
I was pleasantly surprised at how the movie theaters have changed over the years after taking my daughter to a few movies this past summer and the summer before. Comfy squishy recliners, no ones head in your way. Carpet, as opposed to sticky floors with dried up soda. No popcorn cups rolling down the slanted floor. Best yet...NO standing up to let a parent and kid through 3x because they need to use the restroom. It's all good!
Have a great Saturday!
@mainegirl1
 
It rained. I wimped.
Took to my stationary bike for the first time!
It felt wonderful
After my TKR I never felt I could get enough bend in my knee to make cycling easy. I had a wonky turned in toe pedaling style
I noted that I could step through normally ( woo hoo) and the seat that I thought was awful
is fine and my knee bends without complaint
I did not overdo. Just ten minutes at zero resistance. Yep wanted more. The bike is now insanely comfy

Will re-evaluate of course overnight
 
That is great! Especially with your knee working better, too. And the seat is now comfy! Who knew? Those darn hips, when out of whack can cause a lot of issues.
The hubs and I started working on clearing out the garage plus I needed to sort through more of my Mom's things to mail to other family members. End result is that we are both whipped tonight. I hope I didn't overdo it.
Time will tell... or like you said it @mainegirl1 - re evaluate in the morning! :snork:
 
Morning was fine so we drove ( I drove) 75 minutes to New Hampshire for a little shoe shopping and headlamp shopping( for nighttime photography) then back home with stops on a bike trail for 30 minutes of riding ( maybe 4 miles I kept it to lower gears and there were only mild inclines) and a stop at an apple orchard( I did Not U Pick). It was balmy after a 50 degree start to the morning .. almost got hot 78.

All seems fine for today.
 
Woo, hoo! And she's off to the movies! I can't imagine living anywhere where a jog to the mailbox takes over a mile walk to and from, @mainegirl1 You must love the more rural life. I can handle short visits to the woods, but I am absolutely, 100% suburban and wouldn't trade this, even for what is probably a spectacularly gorgeous place where you live. Isn't it nice we come in so many different shapes, colors and sizes--and that there are places where all of us can happily thrive? Hope you get in a nice walk today before the showers kick up.
 
@mainegirl1 You sound like you are doing beautifully, with all your trips and resuming bicycling! I am so glad to hear you are recovering so well. I agree with you about canes. I found I have to slow down my gait and that does negatively affect the muscles on the poor hip. And I miss taking long strides. It’s wonderful to hear you are taking long strides again.
 
@mainegirl1 You sound like you are doing best , with all your trips and resuming bicycling! I am so glad to hear you are recovering so well. I agree with you about canes. I found I have to slow down my gait and that does negatively affect the muscles on the poor hip. And I miss taking long strides. It’s wonderful to hear you are taking long strides again.

Just for perspective: Pre surgery I took long strides so there was no retraining there ie heel to toe. I could walk but with occasional unpleasant sharp pain. I could bike but it was not comfortable
My hip acted as a perfect hinge pre op I could not move my leg laterally at all so there is plenty of work to be done there after the 6 week ok from the surgeon
Everone will have different deficits to work on as all of us have different unused muscles
My hip flexors are awful
 
Argh...those dreaded hip flexors! And I did exercises before surgery allegedly designed to improve my hip flexion but they never seemed any easier to do and I'm not sure they really worked. But with both hips done now, I guess I'll need to start working on those--again--with the hope that I do get some recovery there. Sounds like you had a good weekend, @mainegirl1, and here's hoping today is the start to an excellent new week. Cheers!
 
Bike vs flexors.. It was :rofsign:

I tried mounting by lifting foot and putting through rather than the cheat by laying the frame down on the ground ( which is horrid for the gears etc) All went well! But then I tried to get off the same way and got stuck.. On one foot with the hip that didn't want to quite flex enough to get the right foot out... I was hopping! Hubby was around but had his hearing aids off..:flabber: looking the other way did not see waving hand. I managed to get my foot out by sliding it out of the shoe.

Flexors need more work.

Hubby is going too to see Downton Abbey as it has little to do with the series. He never watched the series.

The only trouble with the short ride is today I am exhausted for no good reason. I did sleep last night for 8 hours.
 
@mainegirl1
I tried getting on my bike in my shed. I wanted to go for a spin, got on and off easy in the shed, was checking to see if my feet were firmly on the ground, while just stationary. Then I chickened out and went for a walk instead. I'm still nervous about riding it even tho I ride every summer before this hip business. Arrgg....
It must have felt great to go for a ride.....
 
@mainegirl1, @Cecropia I put my bike on a stand and learned how to mount it from a video on YouTube with my bad hip. I think it is like mounting a boy’s bike, although it is a girl’s bike. You put the left foot on the peddle and swing the right leg over the back of the seat, so there is no small angle. Not sure you can do that just yet.

Pre-op, I can use it indoors but not for long. Post op I hope I will be able to use it longer. Too many distracted drivers in my village to ride on the roads.

Mainegirl1 I have heard different responses on BS about different muscles needing work post surgery. Part of the challenge of the first year, I suppose, everyone must go through. So many things get distorted on the way to a bad hip, it makes sense it will take a while to restore things to work in harmony.

I am a Downton Abbey fan, too. The six seasons was offered by my PBS station and that kept me company for a long while. If it gets out my way I will try to see the movie, too.
 
Yup, with both hips now done I realize that so much of my alignment has been thrown off for years due to hip and back issues, and it's going to take a lot of work--hip flexors and a bunch of other pesky muscles as well--before I'm feeling more like myself again. But sleeping 8 hours a night, @mainegirl1, that is so great--a dream for so many, seldom realized. Do be careful on that bike!
 
Nice ride around the neighborhood followed by a walk around part of the same so that I could gather some 12 scone recipes to bring home to scan from a neighbor.
Blueberry lemon scones on the menu for dinner with a hearty homemade veggie and beef soup! I was going to make apple pie ( apples all ready) but that will be tomorrow . Apple walnut.
Its is possible to get cranking in the kitchen at four weeks! With the assistance of a slow cooker!

Don' t think I can mount over the back wheel yet.. I used to be able to do so.. I haven't been cleared yet by OS for too much of that lateral twisting stuff.
@Cecropia.. I have an Electra Townie.. Google them. Its a flat footed bike for seniors.. Riding it is like riding a high handle bar motorcycle though.. Its really only good for paved roads etc and wide places.
 
Oh my gosh you are baking at four weeks! Okay, now I have new hip envy.

I never did a boy mount, until this hip would not let me do the girl mount, so you are one step ahead of me!
 
:hi: Good Morning @mainegirl1
Hope it's a gorgeous sunny one in beautiful Maine.
It's a special day :happydance:Happy One Month Anniversary!
Do something special to celebrate and have a great one :flwrysmile:
 
Thank you @Layla . the weather is beautiful and pumpkin bread and apple Betty is in the oven. Five miles on the bike outside left me a little sore this morning on waking but it is much better now. I think I will scale back to just a walk to the mailbox today.

I actually made mushroom risotto yesterday with oven baked chicken and cauliflower.
 
Oh my....you're making me hungry. Coffee and a yogurt while I'm catching up here isn't cutting it.

I love everything Pumpkin, Mushroom Risotto, baked Chicken and Cauliflower sounds delish and I'm googling
Apple Betty now. Then....I'm raiding the fridge, lol.
Have a good one!
@mainegirl1

Just looked....it sounds like Apple Crisp? Love that too!
 
Sounds like lots of wonderful smells in your kitchen yesterday, @mainegirl1 I agree that cooking isn't that difficult really, as lots of countertops usually to hold onto if one gets a bit unsteady. And the rewards are great! I baked yesterday as well, and the fragrant smell of morning glory muffins lasted much of the afternoon. And a five mile bike ride? Yowza! Hope you took it easy after that, it is all about balance to make sure when you overdo things that you appropriately scale back the following day. Happy Thursday!
 
I am working on standing up Straight when cooking.. It does engage the glutes. Working up to an hour standing while doing hula hoop circles with hips and some lateral moves back and forth.. Just another way of doing those boring exercises!

And this may be of help to some. Its very relaxing and I can feel the release in my back. Essentially I am imitating my dog.

 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom