Guest viewing is limited

TKR A new chapter begins - 16 Dec 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Jamie - thanks so much for taking a look! Both patches appeared at the same time and they are both the same, but the one on the outside is just "lumpier" and more inflamed. Both are raised, both itch & hurt (less now than when they popped up last week, though) - but there is no oozing, no broken skin, etc. My husband is still convinced it has something to do with the cryocuff, as both patches line up with the cuff and I literally have that thing on 24/7 other than when I do PT or I am up doing something. I have never used the cuff without skin protection, however.

The steroid ointment is having no effect at all. When I have an eczema outbreak, or when dealing with an allergic reaction rash, the steroid ointments always work pretty quickly. Makes me think it isn't an allergic reaction?

I do not have a fever, nor do I feel sick. The rashes do feel warm to the touch, but the rest of my knee and surrounding areas on my leg are normal and there are no other areas that are discolored or itchy.

My dermatologist office is closed on Monday, but the nurse told me she would call Tuesday morning to let me know of any cancelations - she felt confident I could be seen this week. Should I even bother trying to get back in to see my OS? My GP only works 3 days per week, so I would likely be in the same situation as I am with my dermatologist where I would have to wait to see her.

Thanks so much to everyone for your replies. This recovery is so tough, and I am just mentally exhausted, so when additional issues like this pop up, it is so emotionally taxing.
 
@lunula, do you have the cryocuff directly against your skin? Possibly an allergic reaction to the plastic? I do worry a bit that it could be cellulitis. I had that on the inside of my thigh several years ago and I must say it looks similar. Cellulitis is something you don't want to mess with! Can you go to an immediate care center or something rather than wait until Tuesday??


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Yes, I think it could be worth going to an urgent care tomorrow. Or does your GP have someone who covers for him/her in case of urgent situations?
 
I just looked up cellulitis online and the photos look like what I have. Of course, now I am quite scared. Should I go to urgent care now? Is one night going to make a difference if that is what it is? I will call OS first thing, I am sure I can call GPs office in the morning and get an urgent appointment, but now I am feeling like it is an emergency. Going to be pretty ticked if this is what it is and my surgeon's PA blew it off when he saw me last week and told me to put Benadryl on it. @kneeper - @Jamie - @Josephine - should I treat this as an emergency and try and find someplace tonight?
 
Hi @lunula . How are you? I've been worried about you. Did you go to emergency care last night or get in to see a doctor today?
 
Hope everything's ok. Let us know what you found out.
 
Hi all - thanks for checking up on me! After a restless night on Sunday, I phoned my OS's office first thing Monday and was able to get an appointment with the PA at 9:30. Both the nurse and the PA told me it was not cellulitis, and the PA said it didn't look to be infectious at all, bacterial or fungal. That's all I really cared about! My dermatologist's office called this morning and they have a cancellation this Friday, so I grabbed that appointment and she told me she would call me if anything else opened up before that. I am still using the ointment - but so far, no change (better or worse).

Still continuing with my own PT at home until I go in for my first PT at the office on Thursday. Was so tired last night, but it felt like I was getting a little more bend than normal. Icing my knee right now and will do my exercises and CPM machine in a few minutes.

Again, thanks to everyone for all of your help with this. So nice to have a community of people who have all been through this, or are going through this with me! You're the best!!!
 
Sooo glad for you have been reading your posts and fear of the unknown is the greatest fear. Now on with the.recovery. . Again v happy for you

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Yeah!!! Very glad to hear it's something non-threatening. Congrats! Bet it's still irritating though, hope it's gone soon.
 
Good news! Thanks for letting us know. Always better to get it looked at and know.
 
My husband is still convinced it has something to do with the cryocuff, as both patches line up with the cuff and I literally have that thing on 24/7
That's a good point. Do you have a latex allergy?
Makes me think it isn't an allergic reaction?
I would tend to agree.

The first photo you posted makes me think it's a remnant of bruising which can do this.
The second photo looks like the kind of rash you get from some adhesives. Can you remember having had any dressings or anything in that area?

Either way, I would say that it's not anything to worry about and you will likely find it abates as the marks fade.
 
So glad to read that things aren't as bad as they seemed, I hope the rest of your recovery goes well.
 
Well the rash hasn't really changed this week - no spreading, no itching and no pain. It has changed color a bit, it's a little purple now. I have been using the ointment twice per day, but it hasn't really done much. I see the dermatologist tomorrow morning - cannot wait to see what her theory is.

Had my first PT session at the facility today and was very pleased. They were very gentle, did some stretching and massage, learned some new exercises, as well. She told me I was doing way too much at home - no surprise. My in-home PT was so aggressive and told me not to back off, but I am so sore and stiff...glad that my out-patient facility is gentle and realistic. I had every PT there looking at my rash and without telling them I had a nickel allergy, two of them mentioned it might be a reaction to the implant. Both had seen it in previous patients (one each over the course of 20+ years) and both of those patients had revisions. Ugh! They all thought it could be ice/freeze burn due to the cryocuff, as well. I do have really sensitive skin, so even with a towel or pillowcase between me and the cuff, I think it could be a real possibility. Again, crossing my fingers that my dermatologist gives me something more definitive tomorrow. PRAYING it is an ice-burn!!

@Josephine - hope you are doing well! I didn't have any dressings there - had an aqua-cell bandage across my incision until the staples were removed 10 days after surgery. After that, the only thing on my knee has been the cryocuff with pillowcases & towels. No new soap, detergent, etc. Since it popped up almost exactly 3 weeks after surgery, PA ruled out any of the washes, bandages, etc. from the surgery/hospital. Thanks so much for taking a look!

My flex today at PT was 85! Yay! My extension, however, wasn't so great. When first measured just lying on my back it was 14. Got it to 10 after some massage, and down to 7 at the end of the session while pushing down on it gently. So now I will work more gently, work on stretching that hamstring and hopefully get that extension down, down, down!

Will post tomorrow after I see the dermatologist.

Big thank you, again, to everyone who has taken the time to reply with theories about these weird blobs on my leg. I am a worrier by nature and my mind pretty much snaps to worst-case scenario immediately. I appreciate all of you very much!
 
So...saw my dermatologist and she has no clue what it could be, lol! She definitely ruled out infection- huge relief! She is super baffled at it, however. She is not ruling out a reaction to the implant, but feels like it wouldn't be so "blotchy" if that's what it was (i.e., it would be more uniform). Today, it looks like it might be healing a little, she felt it would continue healing but I may have discoloration for months. She didn't feel like it was cause for concern unless it began itching again, it starts to spread or it becomes raised again. So, my job is to monitor. I see her again in March for my annual full-body check (I have had melanoma twice) - so she will check again then. She called me her medical mystery, lol. I feel better that she thinks it is nothing serious - would love to know what it is, but at least I know what it isn't!

Feel okay today - been out and about all morning and am just sitting down now to ice for 30 minutes before I do my first PT today.

Hope all is well with everyone! [emoji1]
 
Well done @lanula. I'm new to the forum but am six weeks post op! Will continue to follow your thread with interest. A great start. Sorry to hear about your rash! Hope it gets better soon!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well done @lanula. I'm new to the forum but am six weeks post op! Will continue to follow your thread with interest. A great start. Sorry to hear about your Rash. Hope it gets better soon!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@lunula

Glad to hear that there's not too much concern about that rash. Now, we can focus on more important stuff - like recovering from TKR surgery!
 
It must be a relief on the main count but I.bet your eyes keep straying that way. I hope it starts to go away and like treypops says concentrate on.recovery. Have a grand weekend.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Glad to hear your rash is not too concerning. Seems like you are now making progress and can move forwards. This recovery can be weird and new worries pop up every now and again. I'm so glad you can now concentrate on recovery.
 
Everyone, should I truly be concerned about my ROM at this point? I am at 85 flex and 10 extension and when I hit those thresholds, it literally feels like cement. There is no give at all, which I have read would likely point to adhesions? Or is this not the case? I am definitely more mobile, feel stronger and have backed off my aggressive PT - but if it was swelling causing this, does it feel any different than if it were adhesions?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom