Guest viewing is limited

A few questions that I've been pondering:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yes...@DrToonz.... Everything, yes, everything you have written down makes complete sense for pre op THR patients. It's excitement for the relief of pain, sheer gut wrenching fear of the operation, will I have a good recovery, how will I cope and Yes....will my hubby, partner cope with my fragile self during recovery? I'm sure all of us had all these feelings ( I know I did).....but they are unfounded and understandable. Keep thinking about a life with no pain after a good slow and steady recovery period.....keep thinking about all the holidays, outings, social time with friends than you can actually ENJOY again and not just endure. Keep the faith. Wishing you a calm and peaceful run up to the op. Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@DrToonz all the same thoughts here. Now my husband is starting ANOTHER cold so now I am terrified that I will be sick on surgery day and have to postpone! So stuffing all cold meds down him as quickly as possible. May have to cancel gambling weekend!!!

My mantra right now is please don't let me get sick. And I certainly know about the tylenol. I have been off of NSAIDs since Sunday in prep of Tues and feeling increased pain. Thinking the same things you are.

Judy


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
 
Yes, I remember that having to get off NSAIDS made pain worse and that alone made me want the surgery day to get here! I also worried so much about getting sick or something going wrong with my blood tests. You will all be healing soon.
 
Please be careful with Tylenol. Max dose is 3000-4000 mg daily. I am looking forward to be able to walk with my husband. He walks just under 5 miles a day. I used to go with him for a short distance, but I have gotten so slow that it is ridiculous. For now I am confined to the exercise bike doing arm circles to pump up my heart rate. And, I do hip strengthening exercises on a massage table ( too hard to get to and from the floor ). My husband did a fantastic job of taking care of me last time and didn't seem to mind a bit. He did worry about me a lot and gained some weight as he neglected his exercise program a bit. We both got with the program at the beginning of last year and lost the weight. This time though I have already arranged for him to take a vacation to Hawaii to see an old friend about two months out from my surgery. That way he will have incentive to stay in shape and get a reward for being my caregiver.
 
I am. I have read Josephine's warnings so being cautious. Thanks for looking out for me!
 
@djklaugh[B][/B]: Thanks for the funny and relevant reply. It's these replies that provide the fodder for the "It's all good! Let's go!" peaks and thwart the pesky naysayer valleys. The house is ALMOST set up.
I'm waiting for my Tuesday appointment to find out the details of timeline and equipment needs. I've read conflicting opinions on ADD Bilateral THR's regarding toilet risers. Necessary?
I do need to stock up on some ice packs. Got the reading material and my trusty laptop all ready to rock so that I can Netflix my days away too. Clothes, relaxing places, great chair: check, check and check.

@charmed-life : Nice to know the thoughts are 'normal'. I even KNOW they're normal (from all my reading here at BS), but I do still need a little direct affirmation from my 'colleagues'. Gracias. Glad to know that you're on your way out on the other side. YAY!

@Hoppy Nanny : The outings and the hiking (my personal and recently-rekindled passion) are my stick-carrots. Thanks for the well-wishing.

@Freaky freak : Hey there, my ADDBTHR buddy! I'm SO excited for you! My wife was sick too just last week. Fever and all. I didn't (knock wood) get it but I worried about it CONSTANTLY. I think that if I were to go to a casino at this point, I'd want to wear a surgical mask and latex gloves and carry around a BUCKET of sanitizer!

I'm not taking any NSAIDS because Aleve was REALLY messing with my stomach so I gave it up. @Healthyhip12[B][/B]: Tylenol is my only drug at the moment and the maximum dose that I do in a day is 3,000 (500's x 2 at 3-times-a-day).
It's helpful but just a little. It seems to help with the peripheral pain down my legs rather than the actual at-the-site hip pain. My wife and I are total walkers with our dog Indie. Pre-hip-pain I was doing no less than 15 miles a week and usually more like 25. I CAN'T WAIT for those days to return. And they will, hopefully, in the beautiful Pacific Northwest Springtime!!

I hadn't thought about a 'reward' for the DW for after surgery, but we do plan to go and hike in Hawaii in August. I'm not sure if it's too ambitious, but if all goes well, we will do the arduous Kalalau Trail on Kauai with some friends.

I have got all my pre-op checks out of the way: blood is good, EKG is good, I presume MRSA is good because I have not heard back in 5 days and you'd think they'd tell me if it weren't.

Now: T-11 days.

@EVERYONE: I cannot even believe how helpful this site is for me. Truly. Thanks.

Go Seahawks!
 
We got a raised toilet set - and I actually love it! Never thought to mention this - but we got all the equipment we needed pretty much from Goodwill. They have a lending program for this - it was free, just donate whatever you want in exchange. We got a walker, toilet seat, bathtub chair (quit using that pretty quickly and just shower with my husband), grabber - everything looked brand new but I assume it can't always be but what a great deal!
 
Oh the raised toilet seats....with grab rails essential ( especially in the middle of the night), the perching stool essential...so you can sit and wash until cleared to shower... The packs of peas ( generic are fine) essential as icing tools and mist of all.. the helping hand / grabber...so essential...because you will drop everything!! Luckily our fabulous NHS provided everything but beg , borrow or steal all of these.......so essential to bringing a semblance of independence post op!! Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
DrToonz, you are going to do great! You have so much behind you; the pre-op tests, (I dreaded the pre-op tests and finding out something was wrong!), coping with the reality of having to do this to get your life back and being prepared for the post-op. The raised toilet seat with grab rails was so helpful (I did have restrictions re: bending... so no choice). Used it for both surgeries. Anything to be more comfortable and safe is surely a great thing. I've said it before and will say it again...it is the thinking about this that is the worst! Best of luck!
 
I agree a raised toilet seat is essential - I borrowed a bedside commode from a senior service center here in Portland, Or and took the bucket out, slid the frame around the toilet and adjusted height to fit me - voila the perfect set up for post BTHR and comfortable for others to use as well :) The Senior Service Center also had other equipment to lend - walkers, bath bench, etc. They loan them out free to folks 55+ though they do like a donation to their programs.
 
@DrToonz, I felt exactly the same way, my pain got worse the closer I got, although I still had a good day here & there. The week before surgery, when I stopped taking NSAIDs I was barely able to walk and realy accepted that I was going to have it and be better off. A couple things I wish I had done prior to surgery- moved a few basic things up to a higher level, my hubby wasn't with me 24/7, and although I could maneuver to the bathroom, bed, and recliner, I couldn't make coffee, get my toiletries from under the sink, can't remember what else now, but just common things I did all the time without realizing how much I bent over. And I wish I had bought more comfy pants w/pockets! I only had 1 pair with pockets, I wore them for days! When I was using the walker it was great to put my phone, lip balm, maybe upcoming meds, in my pocket as I traveled out to the recliner or to my bed. I wore loose soft pants for awhile, my scar/incision is on my R upper hip and anything with a seam rubbed right on it. Now at 9 weeks post-surgery, walked to dinner last night to our local café, and I am attending a Zumba conference at the end of the month. I'm still super stoked that I can do all these things again! I see my OS next week and I'm hoping the restricitons will be lifted. And I'm hoping to return to teaching my fitness & yoga classes in Feb!:flwrysmile:
 
Yay! I can't wait to hear from you on the other side!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
I almost feel like I was invading your privacy reading the conversations! So much going on, good tips and advice and suggestions. I can tell you that I can escape with Ambien at bedtime, other than that I am screaming on the inside, my husband says I holler out, but I am too out to feel it any more. I am allergic to anything codeine or synthetic codeine, like Vicodine after a root canal almost killed me! I haven't had any good days, always bad days so I haven't thought about not doing the surgery. I am scared as far as help because my husband and 16 year old daughter are not much help as it is, the thought of being dependent on them for a week or two is totally freaking me out! I am afraid I will try to rush the recovery and do more harm than good. I have never been taken care of, don't know what that means or how it feels......Please keep posting and even when you are on the other side, I will really need the support to get me through.
 
put2pasture....oh my you made me laugh when you talk about your husband and daughter...lol:iagree:..I think I'm more terrified of being dependent on others to. I am so use to taking care of everybody... What it means is we are going to have to let everything go...the house...all the details and take care of us....When is your surgery date? Mine is 3/10.....I think.....oh I mean I know....just can't get use to say Yes ....I'm having surgery....geezzzz:flwrysmile:
 
@put2pasture : I put my 'privacy' right out here for all to see! Peek in!:)

I don't hesitate to do this because I've found that for me, all the candid, personal and 'private' stuff that people here on Bonesmart have shared with me is the stuff that makes it more...real. More personal. More effective.

To be clear: I don't have 'good' days either. Good is only LESS BAD. A good day is one that gets by without depression, despair, extreme pain, or the guilt feeling of making the people around me deal with MY problem.
I'm looking forward to a REAL "good" day someday.

T-9 days and impatiently counting.
 
Update:
Yesterday my DW, a couple friends and I took our 8-month-old puppy Indiana to a sheep farm to have the experience of herding sheep. He LOVED it (he's got some Australian Shepherd and some Border Collie in him).
It was ah hours- long road trip which we stayed overnight for and during which there were places we went where we had to walk a bit (a few hundred yards at most) and I got in an arena with our pup and a couple sheep. The sheep were bumping into me a bit and it hurt the hips pretty considerably, but I wasn't going to let that stop me from enjoying this experience! Once Indie got comfortable he was chasing ewes like a champion!
This morning, at the end of this 2-day whirlwind road trip with its compulsory walking and its herding session, I found that my hips were really sore. Walking, standing, whatever.
Today, my beloved Seahawks will play the 49ers for the NFC title and a trip to the Super Bowl. I'm going to take the day chillin' in my bigass recliner hopped up on Tylenol and relaxing (as much as I can "relax" when the 'Hawks are playing!).
I'm looking forward to the post-recovery SALE of this recliner and the opportunity to have a similar relaxing day withOUT tylenol.
Every day I'm reminded that the decision to have this BTHR now is a good and necessary one.
T-9.

Go 'Hawks!
[Bonesmart.org] A few questions that I've been pondering:
 
Well now, what goes down comes around. Very sweet gesture for your puppy; nice win for the Seahawks! All is well.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom