Guest viewing is limited

A few questions that I've been pondering:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have to wait for the snow to melt here in Minnesota so you may be hiking as early as I'm biking outdoors anyway
 
At six months, I hiked to the top of Yosemite Falls. It wasn't real technical, but it was a nice little outing. I'd been doing shorter hikes, starting at about twelve weeks, to build up to that.
 
@alexthecat : I looked up Yosemite Falls hike. Not terrible, but certainly no slouch hike at 6+miles and 2,600feet! That gives me some incentive!

@charmed-life : Yeah, it seems a lot of people have some nasty cold weather. No such problem here in Washington State. Just raining again (still). hehe.

I started the 'blog. Let's see if I can keep it up. I think you can click the link in my signature, but if not it's at: https://drtoonz.blogspot.com/
 
We were on the Big Island for a week, while there I hiked to a place called the End of the World, which is out over a lot of uneven lava rock, where people jump into the water. We didn't jump this time, water was rough, and I wouldn't have been able to climb out, but anyway we also went to Volcanoes State park, and I hiked from the top of a crater all the way down, and about halfway across it. This was a huge accomplishment for me, we had not done this on a previous trip there in the summer when it was jut too hot for that kind of hike. We walked from our condo to the beach down the street each day, just everywhere we went involved some walking. It was a thrill for me to do all that, thinking about how much pain I would have been in if I had not had the surgery. I think your goal of hiking in 6 months is totally doable, and I think you will be surprised how much you will do even sooner, especially with the anterior. I had posterior and feel my recovery was pretty quick, overall.
 
Went in today to have a pre-op appointment with EKG/ MRSA swab, blood for coagulation test and see the results of my previously-drawn blood tests.

All is well. :)
Even my A1C was good (not as good as last time, but I have not been exercising really AT ALL). 6.8.

Unless MRSA or Coagulation tests come back with problems, I'm good to go.

T-18 days.
 
Way to go. You should be fine. I have my blood and urine redo on Monday. I called to make sure they had the orders this time!
 
@Freaky freak : So...How's YOUR psyche? I'm kind of obsessing over making sure "everything's taken care of" and I still have 18 days to go! You're only 11 days out. How does it feel?
I'm excited for you. I keep hoping that they'll call me up and say "we have an opening, come on down!".
 
Well I am not obsessing much yet. I have a list that is no where near done but work has been crazy and trying to make sure everything is covered my personal list has taken a back seat. So I really haven't had time to stress yet. Only in the quiet at night right before sleep do I get anxious but I keep telling myself I am looking forward to the 3 hr nap!
 
Hello Dr Trones! I think I will comment on equipment as I did this in Oct 12 and plan to do my next at the end of Feb. You will need crutches and maybe a walker. I got some weight lifting gloves to keep my hands from developing callouses. I had a toilet seat riser and handle bars on the toilet. Lots of ice bags. A sock puller. A king size pillow to put between your legs. As far as chairs go, you need a high chair. I ended up getting al new couch after my surgery because I could not sit down on my old Low Lazyboy. I bought and sold a second hand lift chair for my first surgery ( made $50 ). I also have one for my second surgery. All of my equipment was second hand except for the handle bars on the toilet. Oh, and I do have grab bars in the shower. I also needed 10 pound leg weights for my post op rehab, but not until about 4 weeks out.

I was able to go back to work (RN consultant) after two weeks for about 5 hours a day. My recovery took over a year, but my right hip is awesome now and my left hip is jealous. Although it takes time to heal a hip, it is fairly easy especially with all the good advice on Bonesmart. You will do fine!
 
Did you Dr. put you on restrictions? I am a little surprised you needed so much as I have been told by my dr and the hospital I will probably need all that.
 
@Freaky freak: So you're saying that you were told you would NOT need all these accouterments?
I have an appt on the 21st where I hope to find out what's up. (you'll be going in that day - Yay!).
 
That is correct. I have a walker, cane and crutches so that is covered. And I have walls on both sides of the commode to help me pull up. My shower is step in so I am holding off to see how well I manage at the hospital. The pt supervisor said she could requisition them before I leave if I need them.

I also made ice packs made and in the freezer, made a trip through the house to make sure I have a clear path. Good luck with your class!
 
Yes, my doctor put me on hip precautions to prevent dislocation. Unlike some on this site, these were not lifted at my 6 month follow up as both of his dislocations occurred after the nine month mark. Study the 90 degree rule. It is important to maintain. That is why you can't sit on low seats and get up safely. I actually practiced all this stuff pre op, so I would know what to do. You don't need a lift chair. It is a luxury I allow myself. Anterior approach or otherwise, it is major surgery and it will hurt. Ice and elevation are your friends
. I had oxycodone post op and my husband kept track of my meds. I would forget that I took them. ( this was covered in the class...LOL). My husband would also help me lift my leg in and out of bed. Granted, my first time around I had gained weight due to immobility and had not been working out. Going into this second operation I want to be as strong and slender as I can get. I do hip exercises on exercise table ( not good at getting on and off floor) and cycle on exercise bike on my days off.

I see a lot of fear on Bonesmart and that is perfectly normal. If you have listened to what has been advised by your health care provider ( they know YOU) and have done what they said you will be fine. I followed all the rules to a tee. My husband was my driver for six weeks. It's a physical and mental thing. It's not easy, BUT this operation will change your life. It is a huge investment that will pay off what you put into it. However, hip precautions are something that won't go away...dang...I no longer get to plop myself down on the ground at the summer concerts. I have to bring a chair. But at least I walk without a limp with everyone constantly asking' " are you oaky?"

We will all do fine!

Catherine
 
I think our Drs are very different as I have no precautions, no rules but I will let my body be my guide. I have my ice packs made and waiting in the freezer for me thanks to Josephine's recipe and have 6 weeks approved leave but work from home so that should be plenty. My husband will also be watching my medication times and we were told to start asking at 3 hrs and 30 minutes so I could get them on or before the 4 hr mark. No driving until I see the dr in one month.
 
I didn't have a bad day today. I would even say it was good except that when I went for a short walk (Really. Like 100 yards) my hips hurt considerably worse than they have during recent short walks.

As I lay down now I found a soreness that's an ache rather than the sharp pain of a misstep or a quick movement. It seems like the whole thing is getting worse almost daily.

I just want this damned thing behind me.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
 
Mine is definitely getting worse as I approach op day. Hip didn't use to ache as much when lying on bed -- even lying on opposite hip. And when i roll over in bed onto that side?! YikesI I think it senses it's not long for this world! Good luck on your bilateral! I go on Friday. EEEEEEK!
 
Not even being able to enjoy or be comfortable in bed is really too much!

Funny story about post surgery- I'm lying in bed soon after surgery before even getting up. Spinal seemsvto have worn off but I'm still evidently under the influence of plenty if pain meds. Hip has NO pain nor does incision area. I'm ecstatic. My OS comes in and I tell him "this is great - nothing hurts at all! " He smiles. Next day he comes by and I say "ok, I lied. Some things hurt" he laughs and says, " I knew that"
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom