Guest viewing is limited

THR A brand new life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Helen44 It took me a while to catch up with you--- I'm glad you are doing so well, and I can't believe it's been TWO weeks!! Staples out, excellent. 1 crutch, excellent! You sound cheerful and doing well-- keep it up, girl! :)
 
Helen, it's important to remember to be nice to yourself. You're young and should recover very well but it will be at your own pace. Do take the pain meds until it doesn't hurt. Don't push yourself. There is no "you must" do this or that. It does get better but each of us heals differently. I'm glad things are looking better.:kittykiss:
 
he has prescribed Targin
broken link removed: https://chealth.canoe.ca/drug_info_details.asp?brand_name_id=5531 This combination medication contains two active ingredients: oxycodone and naloxone. Oxycodone belongs to the group of medications known as opioid analgesics (narcotic pain relievers). Naloxone belongs to a group of medications known as opiate antagonists and is used to lessen the constipation caused by oxycodone. This combination is used to treat moderate to severe pain in adults who require 24-hour pain relief for several days or more.

In other words, it's basically just oxycodone!
 
Evening to all,

19 days in and going well. Went to physio yesterday and they told me to go back to 2 crutches instead of the 1 my OS told me to use! Their justification was that I am leaning to the left when I walk, however I was doing that before the op too. Feels like a little step backwards.. I was also told i cant have any rehab until my 6 week mark, as i have an uncemented joint. Why is that? I'll be a bit behind now :(

Only on meds now at night time, cos I can't sleep and I get uncomfortable! Went shopping for a couple of hours yesterday, felt good :) hope everyone else is doing ok

Helen
 
Helen44 good to hear your update :) Probably your surgeon has his own rules-- I think BarbaraR had an uncemented and was weight bearing from day one! Every surgeon is different, maybe it depends on what they eat for breakfast LOL. You are doing very well in the pain-free department-- love it!
 
[Bonesmart.org] A brand new life
Helen, I, too, had an uncemented hip, but had in home PT starting two weeks after surgery---probably would have been one week after, but we had snow and ice back then. I did my exercises lying on the bed so no weight was being put on the leg---but the muscles were getting worked. Also any standing exercises were done only on the right side---so I was putting all my weight on my unoperated left leg (but my left knee was very unhappy about that).


There are lots of exercises you could be doing that don't break the weight bearing or the 90 degree rule, and you can do them on your own. Here's a library link to some: Exercise websites For THR

And relax, none of this will put you "behind". Resting is a good thing for you and your hip in the early days.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] A brand new life
 
Hi Helen44.. Not a step backwards, to go back to the two walking aids. It is so important to get your gait right. Sounds like all other areas of your recovery are doing fine, good for you :)
 
Hello fellow hippies!

I'm now almost 5 weeks post op and feeling quite good. Went to physio today and they were very happy with my walking pattern since going back on to the to crutches :dancy: I still don't have a great range of movement with my knee raise. Last time I went it was 90 degrees and this time it's only 95.. Was hoping for a better result! Getting around quite well, doing some washing and light household chores. I'm still unsure as to when I will be able to go back to work, it's quite a physical job, so am feeling it could be quite a while yet.

I've been having a problem with my left hand, this is the one which takes the most weight when using the crutch. The physio says its presenting similar to carpal tunnel, which means the nerve is being compressed, causing weakness. Has anyone ekes had an issue with this? I also ace callouses on my palm! If its not one thing it's another hehe.

Anyway, sleep for me now, will post again soon :)

Helen
 
Exercises are really not that necessary for hips. Once you get walking, that will be all the exercise it needs! They have a way of working themselves out, you know!

Returning to work I always recommend 12 weeks minimum and the with a Phased return to work.

As for the hands, it's called crutch neuralgia and can be quite stubborn to treat. Go more lightly on your crutches.
 
Hi, Helen: Glad your staples are out and you have some physio coming your way. I too suffered from the heavy leg syndrome. It was almost impossible for me to get in and out of bed. The dead leg feeling is very difficult, but at 10 days out, it has gotten a bit better and i am no longer having the trouble i was having. i didn't believe it would get better, but it has. Hang in there.
 
[Bonesmart.org] A brand new life
Hang in there----TIME & PATIENCE will take care of almost everything in this recovery.

Take care, we care. [Bonesmart.org] A brand new life
 
Hi Helen44,
I took myself back to two crutches as I was not walking correctly. Due to the process of lengthening my leg by 3cms to give me equal length, my muscles have been stretched and, even at 3and a half weeks post op my muscles "grab" . I believe I am better to walk with the correct gait ( for the first time in my life as I had congenital dysplasia) and get this right before moving to one crutch or a cane. Some Of the younger physios seem anxiousvto get everyone onto a cane ASAP but we all have different issues and challenges and knowbour own bodies.
I do use just one crutch around the house concentrating hard to ensure I am not listing to the side. I hope to be confident on one by mynx6 week check so zi'm working hard on those exercises that will strengthen my glutes and abductors in particular and ensuring zi do lots of strong stretches. Hydro work helps as well as a weekly remedial mmassage to smooth and relax the muscles.
Ggod luck with your recovery. :SUNsmile:
 
Hi Helen, sounds like your greatest challenge in this recovery is patience! Easy does it - it will be alright in the end. What seems impossible will suddenly be very easy.
 
Hi Helen... We have another Aussie daykat.. Thought you might like to connect :)
 
Hello there!

This week I celebrate my 8 week post op anniversary!! What happened to my 6 week epiphany, when I throw out my crutches and scream "I'm cured" hehe, I know I was expecting too much! I am now walking (if you can call it that) unaided, except for long distances. Why can't I walk properly. My doctor says I am "lurching" and I m trying my hardest not to. My husband doesn't understand how I can't just walk, instead of this contorted kind of flick I do with my upper body. To be honest, I don't know either!!

I returned to work today, 4 hours every Monday, Wednesday & Friday for the moment. Am standing for the entire shift, but to be honest it's better standing than sitting. By the time I left, there was a definite tightness in the muscle, but have now rested and seems ok. I am trying so hard to resume my normal gait as I am travelling to the US on the 12th June, but at this point it seems I will be taking a can with me :(. Was not in the plan..

Any suggestions are welcome :sos:

Hope everyone else is doing well

daykat I live in Bunbury, so I can relate to your journey home from the hospital , I had mine done in joondalup!

Helen
 
[Bonesmart.org] A brand new life
Helen, you might consider a physio for a short period who could determine what exercises you need to correct your gait. The surgery has made a change in body alignment, and muscles and tendons need some help in readjusting. Just when you thought everything was fixed----something else to think about [Bonesmart.org] A brand new life !

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] A brand new life
 
Helen44 I do agree with Judy on the physio. My advice is yes take the cane with you, probably wear your TED's if you still have them, if not do some foot pumps to keep swelling at bay. Best wishes to you on coming to the states in June.
 
Thank you for your replies :yay:

I visit the physio once a week and they check my movement etc.. They have given me exercises to do at home, but they don't seem to be doing much :shrug: I'm hoping that being back at work might stretch out the muscles. It's very strange because I know I'm doing it, and there is no pain, but I just can't get it... So frustrating :scratch:

Was a bit ambitious to book the trip, but it was already in motion before the decision to have the op and we are going with my Mum,Dad & Sister, so didn't want to let them down..

Never mind, the next few weeks will be the test'
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom