Revision THR 8wks post op - more pain than before<<

AMR1879, sorry to have to do this but can you not use multiple tags, please? Users with mobile devices report that it makes it very difficult for them to access a post very well as the get in the way. Also your friends who have previously posted to you will be watching your thread so there's really no need for them anyway.

We do have an official announcement about this Use of multiple tags or alerts in posts

So I have edited your post of the coding.
 
How are things @AMR1879 ?
Any news on getting a plan?
Just wanted to see how you were and hoping you were able to get something sorted.
Wishing you a peaceful day!
 
Oh my, what a story @AMR1879. . .and it continues. I have just picked up your thread and am astonished to read of your difficulties. I also had a 1st revision after the primary surgery fractured my pelvis and allowed a dislocation immediately after surgery. The 1st revision was less than 48 hrs after the primary surgery. I suffered from that one for a year before I sought out a second opinion. My 2nd revision was 8 weeks ago.
I can't speak to your troubles with your "new bad hip" but I can commiserate and I do. You have taken the right road to get it all corrected. You do have to be your own advocate. I took my husband with me so I didn't miss anything; in the process of all the pain and disappointment it is sometimes hard to keep focus. But I admire so much your determination and your grace under fire because none of what you are going through is easy. In fact, it is mind boggling when dealing with those who are supposed to have the answers. Care is supposed to be the center of what they do.
It does sound promising with the new OS trying to get to the bottom of this difficult case instead of the usual, "perfect hip" response. Hoping for the answers that will get you on the road to recovery and soon. Hang on and keep coming in to vent on BS. Glad to meet you; wishing you days without pain very, very soon.
 
@zinnia nice to meet you too! Thank you for your support. I am sorry you too have suffered with your hip like I have. It has been a long and challenging road, but reading posts like yours gives me the will to push through the pain and find answers. Reading everyone's posts on my thread and on other threads has been such a blessing.
So here is an update:
The 2 OS my OS reached out to for their opinion felt that it is infected - this is not what any of us wants to hear! I am going to see another surgeon who is out of state, tomorrow. I honestly don't expect him to have any answers but it can't hurt to get his input.
So the game plan is... do a Dual Isotope bone scan ASAP - I have an appointment next week. It will require me to be in the hospital all day the first day and a half of a day the next day. The other test I will be having is a hip aspiration. I have had this before and the pain was AWFUL!! My OS wants to do it under light sedation. I guess the aspiration is one of the best ways to test for infection. I am also going to see a highly regarded OS in Phillidephia - he focuses on young patients with hip problems. I am also going to have the routine blood work done to re-check of Sed Rate and C Reactive protein level.
Thank goodness I resigned from my job last week! I would never have been able to schedule all these tests and appointments around my work schedule.
Ugh....now I am worried I have an infection brewing...
 
Last edited:
Gosh @AMR1879 , so sorry you have to go through all this. All the best with all your appointments and tests. I guess it's best to get this diagnosed ASAP and (if needed) treated. Please keep us updated!
 
oh @AMR1879 I am sorry to hear that you are still going through all of this. I am hoping and praying that you do not have an infection. I will keep my fingers crossed that the OS in Philadelphia will be able to provide some insight as to what is going on.

For the hip aspiration, can you request a different doctor/radiologist to perform this?

Keep fighting for your hip and seeking answers. Sending good wishes and better days your way :praying:
 
Hi @AMR1879 sounds like you have a good plan going forward. Sorry, this is not the news you wished for but fingers crossed that it's not an infection but something more minor and easy to rectify. In the event that it is, many here have successfully gone through the process and did very well afterwards. You are young and very strong and believe you will do very well once a proper diagnosis and treatment plan is established.

All the best to you, it's great that you're taking time off from work to recover, think it will serve you very well.
 
Last edited:
This is a nightmare to read, let alone go through. I am so very sorry you are having to endure this worry, not to mention the pain of it all. I do so hope and pray that this is not an infection and that you will not have to bear an aspiration again.
Your positive attitude is inspiring. Hold on to that as you go through all those doctors and tests. They are not easy to bear either.
My best wishes for better days ahead for you.
 
Tough news to receive @AMR1879. The good news is they seem to be being very thorough. Sorry you are going through this.
 
Glad they are jumping on this quickly with all of the testing. Since you had so much pain before, it sounds like a good idea to get the light sedation for the hip aspiration. It will certainly be less painful for you if you are sedated! It is so tough to have to go through all of this multiple times. It's a good thing you were able to quit your job and just focus on getting a diagnosis and treatment. Sending good vibrations your way. :)
 
Keep us posted @AMR1879 on your progress going forward. We are all pulling for you. Sounds like you're on the right track with the multiple doctors and planned tests. Bless you!
 
I saw the NJ OS a few days ago, he was great! He specializes in revisions and other problem cases and he put my mind at ease.
First, he assured me that my previous surgeries were done correctly and the best hardware was used for both. He said has done revisions where the stems have slipped right out for no apparent reason, he said it can just happen - basically just bad luck and I shouldn't be concerned or worry about it anymore. As far as the hip I have in now, he said he would have used the same type, an AML, and he said it is known to have a longer period of "settling" or "modeling" time b/c of the type of metal it is made out of. He has had patients who have had pain for 1-1 1/2 years after surgery, but it goes away and then they are fine. There are other types of implants that he uses in revisions, but they are not built to last as long as the AML. Revisions are often done on elderly people who do not need their revision hip to last as long as their original hip. He said b/c I am so young, the "normal" hip put in for revisions wouldn't have been the best choice for me, which makes sense.
Second, he came up with a game plan that makes me feel like I am not going to have to live in pain forever....
Here is the plan:
Within the next could of weeks....
-I will be doing the Dual Isotope bone scan up here in NY to see if we can get a better idea of the size and scope of inflammation on my femur. This scan can maybe help determine if it is infected, loose, or a stress fracture.
-We will run more bloodwork to check for infection - A SED Rate, CRP, CBC w/Platelets, BMP, PT, PTT, and INR (I am not sure what the last three are - I haven't googled them yet!).
-I will have a rare test called an Alpha Defensin test. It is one of the best, if not the best, tests for periprosthetic joint infection. The NJ OS was able to find a test kit in NJ, so I will be going down to a hospital ASAP to have a hip aspiration done, the fluid they get out of the aspiration is put into the tubes of the kit which is then hand delivered to a lab that is able to perform the test/observe the tubes for growth in order to determine if there is any infection. They will also run the normal hip aspiration tests too.
-If the tests come back positive, I will need two more surgeries to take care of the infection. I truly don't think it is infected! I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed that it isn't. If it is, I will go into the details of the surgeries I will need to have. But right now, I am keeping positive thoughts that it is just a stress fracture - kind of crazy that a stress fracture is my BEST case scenario!
-If it is NOT infected or loose and it is a stress fracture, I am going to wait it out for a little while longer. The NJ OS suggested I wait to do anything until I am 1 - 1 1/2 years out from my revision surgery (which was in 6/17) which would be around early December of this year. He said in a very serious way, "If it isn't infected DO NOT let anyone open you up until you are 1 - 1 1/2 out from your last surgery." He stressed the fact that after having 3 major surgeries in a year I am more susceptible than ever to become infected. He said If I am still having pain in December, he could do a bone splint on the outside of the femur bone where the stress fracture is. He would take a small piece of bone from somewhere else and wire it onto my femur. He said the implant looks well fit and he wouldn't want to try to take it out. I was told once we rule out infection for sure, I can start doing no impact exercise on the stationary bike or elliptical.

So that is where I am at right now. The next two week will be very informative! I'll keep you posted!
@Josephine have you heard of the alpha defensing test? We are leaning on it to determine whether or not infection is my problem.
 
Last edited:
Hi @AMR1879
I'm sorry for all you've been through and all you continue to struggle with.
Prayers for positive answers and the best possible outcome.
Hope your weekend is peaceful!
 
Hi @AMR1879 This NJ surgeon sounds very informative, and it is a relief to have someone lay out the options so carefully and clearly, isn't it? Otherwise, one's mind can go crazy with possibilities. I am hoping for no infection for you, I understand being grateful in such a relative way (e.g., hope for no infection and "just a fracture", and not both!). I also just posted about my visit to another revision surgeon, I am almost 3 years out from the original surgery, always have had pain. I have tested negative for infection, I am so grateful and I hope it stays that way. It was his opinion that my implant is not big enough and not long enough, and that is why it is now loose and wobbly, so if he does the revision he will use hardware that is sized differently. I do not know if he is correct of course, I suppose I could fall into the category of "it will always remain a mystery", but I have no reason to doubt that this surgeon believes what he says to be true. I see another surgeon next week, and I want to re-visit the 1st revision surgeon I saw, who seems to have the most experience but who was 20,000 feet in the air in attitude. In any event, this last surgeon said I was OK to not have the surgery immediately but could use the next couple/few months to get my life/work in order. If I feel more pain, however, that may change the trajectory of when I have the revision, as I will need to go for an immediate Xray to see if something has changed. So I guess all this waiting is predicated on how the pain either accelerates or not. I had the worst pain when I was doing a lot of walking around museums, shops, in the woods, etc with guests visiting. If I can spend time every day to rest, the leg/hip is less painful and annoying. So I hope you can follow that dictum too: I tend to NOT listen to my body and pain, I have had so much of it but am now!

You are obviously taking great care in getting the best medical help you can find, and that is most admirable particularly given how busy you must be with your children. We will look forward to your next posts as you learn more, I am praying for the most positive outcome under the circumstances, and a path forward, for you.
 
Goodness @AMR1879, that is a lot to take in. It does sound like the surgeon is very thorough. At least you now have a game plan. It will be good to get the various tests for infection. Who knew there could be so many (except maybe Josephine!).

Hoping your best case scenario comes true. Hopefully you can relax this weekend.
 
I'm very happy you are confident in the new OS.
Prayers for no infection.:praying:
 
@AMR1879, here's hoping it's not infection! That test you mention may not be so rare in the future. From what I've read, it gives consistently good results and may become a standard diagnostic tool for diagnosing infection at some point.

Too bad that the plan, if it is a stress fracture, means waiting until December for treatment. On the other hand, it may get better before then. Glad that the NJ OS is so reassuring and thorough!
 
Alpha Defensin hip aspiration is done! Now we wait for the results. I guess infection can start to show as soon as 24hrs after the joint fluid was drawn. My OS is a little more concerned about infection bc my CRP has stayed about the same - 6.97 to 6.20 and my Sed Rate has gone up from 25 to 36. He said these should be trending down at this point after my revision surgery. He said there could be something else going on like Lupus or another autoimmune condition...but all my other blood work is normal (CBC w/platelets, BMP, PP/PPT, INR). So I guess if the test today doesn’t come back positive for infection, we have to talk about looking into why these two numbers aren’t going down. But those worries are for another day! Anyone have any insight into elevated Sed rate and CRP levels w/out the presence of infection?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom