Revision THR 8wks post op - more pain than before<<

So I guess if the test today doesn’t come back positive for infection, we have to talk about looking into why these two numbers aren’t going down. But those worries are for another day! Anyone have any insight into elevated Sed rate and CRP levels w/out the presence of infection?
@Josephine might.
All Greek to me.
Hope you get answers soon.:yes:
 
On the other hand, she might not! Haematology was never my strong suit.
 
Oops. Sorry. Maybe some one has experience with this.
So sorry for your worries.
Sincerely hope all will be easily fixed.
 
Oops. Sorry. Maybe some one has experience with this.
So sorry for your worries.
Sincerely hope all will be easily fixed.

Thank you! I’m not feeling too worried. Maybe it’s denial, lol.
 
@AMR1879 I do hope you get answers to why your inflammation levels are still elevated. Has your OS (or you), thought about contacting an immunologist?
 
@AMR1879 I do hope you get answers to why your inflammation levels are still elevated. Has your OS (or you), thought about contacting an immunologist?

Once we rule out infection as the problem with my hip, we will continue to monitor my Sed Rate and CRP levels and research other reasons they may be elevated.
 
Well at least you are being taken seriously wand working towards a resolution. I personally hate waiting for tests and then trying to figure out what it all means.
 
:hi: Hope your day is peaceful.
 
The Alpha Defensin test came back negative! So the chances of there being an infection are slim (however I could be the 3% that the test gives a false positive to). Lol. At this point nothing would surprise me!

I know this negative result is really good news. However, I can’t help but feel a bit disappointed because I am still left without answers. I had the dual isotope bone scan on Monday and Tuesday (yesterday) - what a crazy process it was. I was at the hospital all day getting blood drawn, which was then re-injected with radioactive tracer, then scanned and scanned some more followed by more injections and scans....all with 2-4 hours in between each step. The scan included a white blood cell tag study and bone marrow scan.

I am hoping to get the results of those tests later today or tomorrow at my OS appointment in NJ. I’m pretty sure those tests primarily look for infection but from what I read the they also highlight general inflammation in the bones and marrow so if there is loosening or a stress fracture there should be inflammation in that area, and there for will show up on the scans.

But I’m not sure how sensitive the test is to that type of inflammation vs inflammation from an infection. Does that make sense? I am starting to experience PTSD because this is starting to feel so similar to my experience before my revision.

What if they don’t see anything and my pain and discomfort are not validated? This time they can’t just open me up to see what is going on. I’ve had way too many surgeries on my hip already. But, I can’t live this way forever!

I think we are going to start down the autoimmune disease testing route if these tests don’t show anything. Maybe there is something going on that is totally unrelated to the hip replacement? Or there is something going on that is causing this hip (and maybe the last hip) not to heal properly. So many questions...
 
Last edited:
Oh @AMR1879, you are going through so much. I can understand your feelings of ptsd. The fact that they can not yet find something does not mean your pain is not real. It could well be that there is something going on that is not related to hip. That is just the most logical place to start. Hopefully when all the tests are pulled together your os will have some insight tomorrow. I hope you can get some peace between now and when you meet with doctor.
 
Its a lot but hopefully something conclusive comes from all the testing. You've been through so much!
 
Thinking of you, praying for answers...hope your weekend is as peaceful as it can be under the circumstances.
Try to find some un-hip related distractions?
 
@AMR1879 wondering how you are doing? I hope that you have been able to find answers as to why your hip was not healing....
 
I was going to ask, have you had an ANA test? This will test for auto immune diseases and a large cause of generalised inflammation.
 
@AMR1879 wondering how you are doing? I hope that you have been able to find answers as to why your hip was not healing....
Hi! Thanks for checking in! Unfortunately, I am still not better. It has been tough on me these last few months. Trying to stay positive, but it is challenging at times. I am having a new set of X-rays done Monday to check the status of the stress fracture. If I went by feel alone, I would guess it is the same or worse. However, I also get what feels like nerve pain that will shoot either down the side of my leg into my knee or down the front of my leg into my knee, so I’m not even sure of where the source of the pain is or what is actually referred pain.

I am mentally exhausted and to be honest, I’m not ever sure what the plan is anymore as far as further treatment. Basically I’m in a holding pattern because no one seems to know what to do at this point. My dr is still keeping infection on the list of possible causes.

I am always hoping someone will read my posts and say they have had almost the same experience and share with me how they recovered and moved on.
 
I was going to ask, have you had an ANA test? This will test for auto immune diseases and a large cause of generalised inflammation.
I am pretty sure that was part of a battery of blood work I had done 3-4months ago. I remember my doctor taking about other possible sources of inflammation. But I am not curious if I actually did and will be looking back in my binder of records!
 
@AMR1879 I am saddened to hear that you are still dealing with your hip issues. You have been through so much. I know how frustrating this has been and yet trying to stay positive.

For the nerve pain, have they prescribed anything like a gabapentin or lyrica?

Please keep us updated as to the results of your x-rays. One would think that with so much "modern" medical technology that someone would/should be able to identify what the issue is. Sometimes I think that the doctors may know or have a good idea of what the issue is but won't say as it could reflect negatively on them....(that's the conspiracy theory in me...)

:flwrysmile:
 
@Marvy thank you for commiserating with me. It has definitely been challenging! Yes, I’ve tried both Gabapentin and Lyrica. The gaba didn’t do anything and the lyrics may have helped a little, but it is way to expensive and I have great insurance! There isn’t a generic so the manufacturer has the price jacked up. I will update after my X-rays. And yes, I totally agree sometimes you wonder if the drs are afraid to admit error and then, as a result, we are getting the care we need to get better!
 
So I’ve been MIA from this site because I just couldn’t come to terms with what I’ve been dealing with. But I kept thinking about all the supportive people who have made great suggestions, offered encouragement, and spent their time reading my rants that I owe at least them an update.

The AML hip they put in is pressing on my femur and it is very painful. I’ve been told there isn’t anything to do but wait. However my CRP, SED Rate and D-Dimer are all elevated and no one can tell me why. Is it infection? Who knows. Here is my latest xray.

Apparently the bulge that was pointed out to me in the xray, at the end of the stem is nothing to be concerned about. How can I not be concerned? I have two more appointments with two different doctors in the next few weeks. Maybe they will have some answers but I doubt it. I am not a happy camper right now.

[Bonesmart.org] 8wks post op - more pain than before<<
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom