Guest viewing is limited

TKR 8 Month Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clipless, so happy you are home. Congratulations. I hope you don't mind my goofiness, but I thought "Weebels may wobble, but they won't fall down!" Hope you heal completely and quickly.
 
Wooohooo! That's awesome - must have felt so good to be back on your bike.
 
Wow you rode a real bike! You are amazing. I can't even get one revolution on an exercise bike yet. One day I will. Too cold for swimming yet but great idea !
 
@numbzee , with 103° bend you'll be turning those pedals soon. Try this: just wear socks or flip flops, raise the saddle higher until your down leg is pretty straight, then place just your heel on the pedal as you slowly rock it back & forth. After I could turn the pedal with my heel, I gradually slid up to the ball of my foot. I probably spent a week on my heel, and another at the arch before I got to the normal foot position. Also, my first complete rotation was backwards, and I still warm up backwards!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the great information on how to ride my exercise bike! I will try it today!
 
Wow no fare. Would love to ride bike. Lol be afraid my knee would fly out lol. Xxx best reguards.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmartFourm
❤️bfmasmommy
 
Well done @Clipless, as you can see from my signature below, riding my bike was my aim last year with my first TKR, but it took me four months. I now realise that a lot of that was a lack of confidence rather than ROM. This time I'm hoping to get there sooner, I'm five weeks out now, and I've been riding my static bike for a week now, only a couple of miles each time, but it's a start.
Many thanks for posting that video, I found it very reassuring.
 
Hi @Ellejay , oh I know this knee will be easier for you; recovery is always difficult, but you know what to expect. I was super nervous my first time back on a real bike- so much so that, like a child, I asked my son to watch over me. Last week I still had some unpleasant tightness at the top of the pedal stroke. Then I laid off a few days because I was sick in bed. This morning my knee feels a little more relaxed and bendy. I hope biking will feel easier today. I just need more flexion.
 
Thinking about you! My PT had me ride a bike yesterday! Ouch! I couldn't do a full revolution so they showed me how to do half revolutions with operated leg by going back and forth. Seemed strange but got the hang of it aventually and rode for ten minutes. Boy am I sore ! In other words they way you told me to ride the bike was the same way PT showed me so I wanted to thank you. Hope you are getting better everyday
 
@numbzee you are most welcome! Don't let it hurt too much- just a little gentle stretching every day. You got the pedals to half-way yesterday, so hopefully next week you'll be at three quarters...or 10 & 2 (if you picture your feet on the pedals like the hands on a clock)! Anyway, just keep up your great, positive attitude.

Yesterday I rode around my neighborhood x5 flat miles. Though pedaling is getting easier each time, I am paying today with a little swelling and stiffness. My knee is sensitive that way. So it's up in da' air & another nap for me!
 
Thanks for the great advice. I am doing the 2/10 like you suggested and once I get the rhythm sometimes I over rotate it hurts! I need to go slower and pay attention. I will keep trying like you!
 
@Clipless are you ready to go back to work on Feb 1? It sounds like you have a physically challenging job! How about reduced hours? I might be required to stand a lot, but even if I sit most of the day I think 8 hours would be too much. (I also have just a couple of weeks of leave left.) In my case management wants a full day from me, or nothing.
 
@numbzee careful, please don't hurt yourself! Just work it a little every day and you'll get there. :) ♡

Today something weird happened that did not involve my knee, for a change. I "saw" a bright flash of light/lightening bolt type thingy in my right eye! I saw it repeatedly. And no, I have not been arc welding or staring directly at the sun. At first I thought I was having a stroke or something, then decided it could be a freaky migraine aura, as I occasionally suffer migraines. It seemed to settle down, so I went to the movies as planned. However, even in the very dark theater, even with my right eye closed and covered, there was my lightening bolt! Only it had changed shape and was more like a string of bright pearls. Then I remembered reading about "flashes of light" as a symptom of impending detached retina. Uh oh, and What Do I Do Now?? All these worrisome thoughts while trying to enjoy "The Imitation Game". I should've got up and left but -darn it- it was a Muvico theater with huge comfy seats.

The minute I got home I looked up "bright flashes of light" and confirmed that this could be an actual emergency. It was now early evening, so I left an "urgent" message for the local ophlamologist, who was kind enough to call me right back.
He asked me a series of questions and determined that I'd be safe to wait until morning for an eye exam, but cautioned me to call him immediately if my vision deteriorates or if the lightening bolts get worse.

Wouldn't ya know- my daughter is flying in from Austin tonight for some planned mother-daughter time! We were going to go to Ventura tomorrow and watch whales. I hope my retinas aren't really detaching. Retinas come in handy when you want to see whales. Or anything.

P.s. Leg update: almost 3 months out, little actual discomfort but still limping.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@pinot I am so NOT ready to go back to work. But maybe in two weeks I will be. I'm just going to wait and see how I feel. My doctor knows how hard RTs work- I can't picture him sending me back if I'm still limping. On the other hand, I don't want to risk losing my job and fmla is almost up. Only Worker's Comp cases get modified/light duty. I need to be fully functional and full-time.
 
@Clipless - how is your eye? A friend had a detached retina so I know it can be serious. She had to sit very still for ages, just what you don't need for a new knee! Please do let us know how you are.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom