Guest viewing is limited

TKR 8 Month Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may be a dumb question, but do you do a quad set just as you try a leg lift? I know you're pretty far out, but I always did that and it helped me get those early lifts when the muscle was weak. Just a thought.
 
Yes, @kneeper I do the quad sets when I do leg raises and it hurts around (beside, under?) the patella. After 20 reps this morning I now have swelling and, of course, stiffness and a limp. I did a little cleaning too but only the leg raises were painful. The swelling appears primarily as a lateral bulge, with milder edema down to my ankle. It holds me back for sure. The knee is not hot, not red and I feel well otherwise. The same thing happened a couple weeks ago. It's like my patella hates being pulled by my quad. Are these symptoms very abnormal at 7 weeks? Should I call my OS?
 
Oh, I'm very familiar with the pain you describe. Mine was absolute agony doing quad sets etc and it was under the kneecap and to the medial side. Its still there to a much lesser extent. I was told because the quad is weak the patella isn't coming up straight and that's causing some, if not all, of the pain. For at least six months post op when I did quad sets I couldn't see any movement in quad and the e-stym couldn't make it move either and to be honest it's only been this past 11 months that there has been any improvement in that. Its now bulking up nicely but still not strong enough that the lag has gone away.
 
Thanks Margaret and Caryl, I did only 5 leg raises this a.m. and will discuss all this with PT today. I can definitely contract my left quad, however during EMS it takes almost triple the intensity to elicit a contraction (vs right quad).
 
I skipped my son's award banquet due to swelling. I didn't think I could handle all the walking. He understood, but I felt bad about it. He earned his Letter in varsity cross country and won an MVP award! He also competes on a non-school cycling team and maintains a 3.85 GPA including AP/Honors classes. I am very proud of my son.
 
In January this year, so 2 years post op, a new physio (well old pre op one, but that's another story) used a heavy duty stym machine and had it on absolutely maximum and only just got a flicker. Now I still need higher than normal but we get a good contraction.
 
Hi @Clipless, I have enjoyed reading your recovery thread and happy to see your progress. I am just about 4 weeks post op and can't do leg lifts yet. I am curious to see how you are doing? Are you feeling better? Has the swelling gone down?
Sounds like you have an amazing son!
 
Hi @Wrangler , congrats on your new knee!

If I recall correctly it was 21 days before my first straight leg raise, and then it was painful, difficult, and imperfect. I had a crappy couple of weeks where the knee (actually entire lower leg) swelled and I lost flexion. It was very frustrating, and I responded by trying even harder to bend, and doubling up on the leg lifts. This backfired on me and my knee rebelled. Last Monday I decided to give it a rest by staying home, elevating, doing minimal exercise, and bending only *very gently*. I got new, larger gel ice packs, and an electric heating pad for the sore muscle areas. I cancelled a PT appointment. I think -hope!- the situation is gradually improving. For example I was much more comfortable on the exercise bike this a.m., but I kept the session brief.

I am 8 weeks post op now. I'm starting to wonder whether I'll be ready to return to work at 12 weeks, as my job is physical, involves lots of walking, and the shifts are long. All I can do is try.

Can you do bent-leg raises yet? That is where I had to start. When you can accomplish the straight-leg raise, don't get carried away (like I did) and do too many. Regardless what PT asks of you, if it hurts limit yourself to maybe five lifts twice a day for a few weeks. Seriously, don't aggravate your soft tissues trying to do too much too soon, especially if the exercise is painful.

Good Luck, Happy Holidays, and keep me posted!
 
I can do side lifts but not the basic front left with a bent or straight leg. I will keep trying - one day it's going to work.
I hope the next few weeks are good to you and you feel comfortable to return to work. Can you get more time off?
I know you mentioned earlier about going to Disneyland. They recently changed their policy re: the front of the line pass. Their new Disability Access Service Card allows Guests with disabilities—as well as an allotted number of people from his or her party—to schedule a return time at a specific attraction that is comparable to the wait time when they first arrive at that attraction. The other system was being abused.
Enjoy your day!!
 
I took a whole week off PT but was back at it today and received good news- my extension is finally 0°! I am shooting for a few negative digits, but 0 will help my quad function. My therapist did not measure flexion today. I she doesn't want me to obsess over the numbers and re-injure myself. I still have +10° Extension Lag. It's frustrating, but there will be no lag progress until my quad is much stronger.

Here's what helped my extension: I bought two 5 lb. leg weights that have nice neoprene padding on the leg side. I get all comfy on the sofa with my TKR leg extended and heel resting on a firm towel roll atop a sturdy dining chair. Then I drape one 5 lb weight across my knee and try to busy myself with TV or sudoku or whatever x 5 minutes. I use a strap to pull back on my foot while in this
position. This stretches my contracted hamstring muscle and tendon. Right now I can only tolerate the hamstring stretchy part x 20 seconds or so, but that's okay. I repeat with the other leg.

Initially I stacked both weights (total 10 lbs), but I could only tolerate 2 or 3 minutes at that weight. My PT explained that it is more effective to use less weight and stretch for longer. My goal is 10 minutes. I am quitting PT at the end of the year for better or for worse, because my deductible will reset and I can't afford to keep going.

Happy Holidays to everyone and wishing a smooth recovery to all!
 
This stretches my contracted hamstring muscle and tendon. Right now I can only tolerate the hamstring stretchy part x 20 seconds or so, but that's okay. I repeat with the other leg.
I did pretty much the same with ankle weights, but I would lie face down on the bed and let the leg hang over the edge of the bed. It would stretch the hamstrings.

Have you tried using a heating pad while you do this---by heating the hamstring muscles,you will make it more pliable and flexible---it will stretch more.
 
I did pretty much the same with ankle weights, but I would lie face down on the bed and let the leg hang over the edge of the bed. It would stretch the hamstrings.

Have you tried using a heating pad while you do this---by heating the hamstring muscles,you will make it more pliable and flexible---it will stretch more.

Heating pad? Heck, yes! I forgot to mention my heating pad! Now that I have one I'm not sure how I ever got along without it.

As for the supine stretch, unfortunately it bugs my lower back. My fault; I am too restless to just lay there properly. I always end up reaching around for something to do.
 
My extension is 4 - I actually like the PT excersises for extension. I will be sure to try the above mentioned methods.

Big news - I did a leg lift today! I remembered your advice and only did 5.

Hope everything is going smoothly.
 
The PT when I had my first knee done said never, never do the straight leg raises, he said that is not a good exercise and told me not to do them, yet many PT have you do them.
 
The PT when I had my first knee done said never, never do the straight leg raises, he said that is not a good exercise and told me not to do them, yet many PT have you do them.

That's interesting! Did he state a reason? Although I can do them, and they're not actually painful anymore, I still can't prevent the extension lag, therefore I don't really see the point.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom