TKR 8 Month Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Clipless it's great to hear you are getting on so well! I've only used a CPM once and it was horrible.. Great work on the ROM too. You sound really cheerful. Keep it coming.
 
@Clipless @SuperSnapper @referee54

It's funny how we all perceive things differently. I fell in love with the CPM machine the first time I used it. I slept with it on all night while I was at the hospital. Without it I just never seemed to be in a comfortable position. I found it soothing and relaxing and a big help to keep my knee from getting stiff. I didn't have one at home though. The physical therapist at the hospital told me that it's usually one extreme or the other. Either people love it or they hate it, no in between.
 
Connie, the cpm machine I used at the hospital was much more comfortable than the home rental unit. It's possible that the home cpm machine was not set up correctly for the length of my femur. It always bothered the back of my knee. Next surgery I will know better and be more particular.
 
I went to the movies today with my sons and saw "Interstellar". It was kind of a special theater in that we could reserve our seats going in. The cashier helped me choose the best seat (aisle, back, leg room) and gave me permission to rest my foot on on the rail in front. I was kind of worried about it being such a long film, but I did fine. I was able to elevate, change positions, stretch and flex as needed. It felt so nice just to get out. Great movie, too!

I hope everyone is feeling wonderful this evening!
 
CHURCH PEW EXERCISE


Hopefully the link works^^ If not, just google "Church Pew Exercise".
I am one of the unlucky ones to suffer quadriceps inhibition/atrophy following TKR. Typically I sit & stare at my quad, then plead with it to contract. Sometimes it contracts, sometimes it ignores me. I came across the above video, watched it, then tried the simple exercise. I could only go x1 minute before fatigue. But by gosh, I was impressed. My left quad *firing* on it's own!!!

Do not attempt the above exercise without professional guidance. It might not be a good exercise for you. I am just wondering if anyone on the forums already knows about it. If you have quad inhibition/atrophy ask your PT about "Church Pew".
 
@Clipless what a great idea! It must have been good to get out and do something "normal" glad to hear that you are getting on well .

Mary x
 
Hi Mary x! (@SuperSnapper ) Your surgery is coming up! Are you excited?

Here's my progress report: Two days ago I tried to ditch the cane. It didn't work out for me, but I wore myself out trying. Reluctantly back to cane. Yesterday I went out for lunch with a friend, then did a little shopping. It was too much, apparently. By the time I got home my knee was very stiff and swollen, especially in the back. I also felt some clicking inside, was concerned I'd really screwed up. I spent the rest of the day/night with ice and elevated, alternating with straight leg on an ankle roll. Blew off exercises aside from a few gentle stretches. I blew off this morning's exercises as well, knowing I would be at PT right after lunch. My knee technically felt better but I didn't want to push it.

When I arrived for my PT appointment I was feeling pretty dejected. I informed my therapist what happened, and told her that I probably wouldn't do well today. Lo and behold, my ROM increased to 2°/90°! (from 4°/85°).

I don't know when I'll accept that everything will be okay. Yes I do- when I'm able to ride my bike. Every day I sit and rock the pedals back and forth on my spinner bike. I so look forward to the my first complete pedal rotation. It's a small thing, but it will mean so much to me.
 
@Clipless my cpm machine left yesterday and I was glad as I didn't like it. That's a great 3 1/2 week progress report. I started out patient PT today so hopefully my report will be better next week. I still trying to get used to the cane. It feels awkward in my opposite hand.
 
Kathy you must be right-handed. When I tore the meniscus in my right knee I had a terrible time holding the cane in my left hand. I'd switch hands back and forth- PT did not know what to do with me!!!
 
Hi Diana, @Clipless
You sound pretty perky at just a month after your surgery! That's good to hear. I expect you just overdid it a bit yesterday but nothing that a few days rest won't sort out. And what great news on your ROM! I know the theory is not toget too caught up with the figures but it must be really satisfying to hear that you are making progress. I bet you'll be spinning those pedals really soon.
Thanks for asking about the nerves. I am getting apprehensive and my IBS has been dreadful lately - a sure sign things are bothering me! We went out shopping yesterday and I got very well aquainted with the stores new washrooms! I hope it settles down soon as it's driving me nuts!

Hope you have another good day today
Mary x
 
That's right, @SuperSnapper , we're not to get all hung up about ROM. However everyone needs a way to gauge their progress. And you will, too. I'm the nerdy, scientifically-inclined type, therefore numbers. I also look at how far my surgical leg slides back relative to the leg of my dining room chair, and how close I am to completing one revolution of my pedals. I wish I could walk better, but that will come. My left quadriceps were in shock and non-functional at first. It takes time to wake them up.

Surgery and the opioid-type pain relievers you're likely to be on in the hospital will give you a nice break from IBS. Everything slows d-o-w-n.

Did those 2002 Microfracture surgeries help you for a while? My friend had Microfracture last year. She seems to bend and get around well, but she's not happy because her knee still hurts.
 
@Clipless Good point about the opoids! Can't wait!

Keep going with the pedalling. You will get there very soon!

My microfracture surgeries were brilliant. The one on the right knee has lasted for 12 years and the one on the left or 10. (Dates wrong in signature!) The left one has never been quite as good as the right hence the need for surgery now. I had 12 weeks no weightbearing on the right one and only 8 one the left and I think that's what made the difference. Tell your friend that it took 18 months to feel entirely comfortable with mine. The knee is a complicated article and takes time to sort itself out. But I don't regret having them done. I had at least another 10ish good years out of them and the operations enabled me to keep active. But I did do phsyiotherapy every week for about 3 months with both of them and that was a big part of my recovery.
 
A few issues getting comfortable last night, but I expect that to continue for a while.

Big day today- for the first time since surgery was able to complete a full pedal rotation! It was kind of an adaptive stroke, but I got that pedal around and I'm so happeee!!!

Then I took my teenage son bike shopping again (3rd time this week) and he finally decided on a bike. There were only two left in his size in the whole U.S. We ordered it, and he'll have it before racing season begins.

I hope everyone is feeling great!
 
Hi Clipless,
I am just 10 days behind you and I am so inspired by some of the things you are doing (shopping, going to the movies). I went out for pie on veterans day and out to dinner once last weekend, but it is still takes so much effort. I can't wait to go shopping. I wasn't even able to do that pre-surgery.
 
@Cynrob, how are you? How's the weather in Portland? Now that it has turned cooler here I find that long pants irritate my incision scar. I'm going to order more comfy flannel pj pants and wear them all the time.

Anyway, hang in there! Recovery does not seem to be a linear process, and it sure is hard. A few days ago lunch out with a friend wore me out and caused increased pain and swelling. The next day, however, my flexion improved to 90°. Then I thought I had a nice weekend, but by Monday my flexion dropped to 85°! Sad again. My PT is very nice, but she wants me to work harder. Cycling motivates me, so I'm to ride my exercise bike twice a day. It hurts like the dickens near the top of the pedal stroke (the most bendy place) but frankly I do enjoy being on the bike. I put on music with a beat and pretend I'm not so slow. Then I ice and elevate. I hope it works!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It is freezing here! I miss living in a warmer climate, but I guess I will survive that. Bike riding would motivate me too, but it seems like a long way off. I will get there. Thanks for all the encouragement
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom