TKR 8 Month Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
@PuppyLove and to everyone, thank you! My hospital (where I work and where I had my surgery), is in Burbank nestled between Disney Studios and NBC. Disneyland is about a one hour drive from home. My teenage son was thinking at some point in my recovery it would be nice to visit Disneyland and take advantage of the "disabled front-of-line" pass, where you (and your handler) may enter most rides via the normal exit. I can't imagine it yet- maybe in a couple of months.

Here's my update: I am now one week out from surgery. I finally got my pain med situation sorted out and am relatively comfortable most of the time. I can go ~5 hours max between doses. At a Bonesmartie's suggestion I downloaded a free med scheduler/reminder smartphone app. This one's called MediSafe. I love it!

Home PT started yesterday. The therapist was very good however the overall experience was grueling. She had me adjust my walker gait and unlearn some bad habits, which was difficult. And I found out I've been using my immobilizer incorrectly, too. I'm trying to implement these changes and do everything right now and it's EXHAUSTING! Also, despite my cycling history, my quads on the surgical side have atrophied. Another obstacle to overcome.

Friends are coming over today to visit and walk my dogs. I'm excited!

I realized yesterday that I'll need to do my other knee (RTKR) before my seventeen yr old graduates and goes off to college. For I cannot imagine going through this again without his help. For one thing I'd starve, lol. He's a junior in high school, which means I have him at home for another 18 months or so. Community college, if he decides to start there, might buy me another year. He's an amazing teen, straight-A student, varsity in two sports, plans to be a geologist. I couldn't be more proud!
 
Glad to hear you are getting sorted out and feeling comfortable. Your son sounds lovely.

best wishes from over the pond

Mary
 
8 days out & a good day yesterday. I must have beeen really tired because after my morning pain med I fell asleep again, this time in the cpm machine at 84 degrees flexion x3 hours. I was fine except I dreamed that a scary beast was trying to rip my leg off, lol!

In the late afternoon a sweet couple that I've known for years took my dogs for a walk, and brought over an ottoman. It's perfect- just what I need to keep my leg straight while watching TV.

Then the best thing happened. I found myself on my tippy-toes reaching for something on a high shelf. Tippy toes! I haven't been able to stand on tippy toes for years, apparently because of the the extensive osteoarthritis in left knee. And so early in my recovery!

Has anyone else experienced something similar in their post-operative course? That is, regaining a skill or ability you thought was lost to you forever?
 
@Clipless They made us go up on tippy toes 20 times as one of the group PT exercises the day after surgery! Thankfully that wasn't a problem for me. But congrats to you! When you can do something you couldn't previosly do, it's reason for celebration! :cheers: That's what these surgeries are all about! For me, I'll REALLY celebrate if I'm ever able to squat! I haven't been able to do that for years, but with two new hips and two new knees I'm not sure if I ever will. :sorry:
 
Hi @Clipless

Squatting, squatting? Is that the thing I used to be able to do as well as kneel lol???? Distant memory in the fog of time lol xxx

Glad you're doing so well. I'm so very pleased for you xxx :egypdance:

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all! I am 11 days out and doing fine. This morning I graduated myself from walker to cane even though I still can't lift the lower leg. I figure the sooner I use those muscles, the sooner everything will come back. I devised an exercise of pushing an empty cardboard box along the polished hardwood floor with my foot. Fun!

I walked with two friends and a dog to a local park. Perfect weather, and no pain until I decided to sit on a swing and let my legs dangle free- DOH!

I stopped the narcotic pain med because of gut issues and am now using only acetominophen q6 hrs. It's okay but sometimes I still ache or get sharp little pains around the patella.

Question: has anyone used Neurontin (gabapentin) post op? Does it help? I can't handle percocet anymore and can't use NSAID-type meds due to allergy.
 
I have used Neurontin, it made me too loopy so quit after a couple of days. Some do very well with it.
 
@Clipless , just wait till you jog up and down stairs hands free. That was my ah ha !! moment about 12 weeks post op. These knees are really miraculous. Have you tried tramadol with tylenol ? I believe its a non narcotic and was very effective for me, i had to stop the heavy meds for several reasons early on , like crazy scary dreams and constipation. i rarely slept for about 6 weeks but it really didnt matter as i had 12 weeks off from work plus a extra 4 weeks for a grand total of 4 months. I was very fortunate as other are forced back to work very early on . Best wishes Iceman
 
Hi everyone and their shiny new knees! I'm two weeks out, cane walking slowly and doing fine. I saw my surgeon's PA yesterday and got a prescription for Tramadol. The PA says he prefers not to prescribe Neurontin... whatever. I'll probably just use the Tramadol on PT days or if I'm having unusual pain. For now I'm fine with Tylenol.

Incision looks great- surgeon used Dermabond for the top layer, so no ouchy staples. I don't have to cover it but I still do because I have two shin high doggies that tend to scratch and bounce at my knees.

I stopped home PT because it was getting annoying- I'm cleared to start outpatient PT in about a week. That's better for me, independent cuss that I am.

I ordered a Russian-style EMS unit for home use. My left quad was pretty much comatose until two days ago and I want to give it a little nudge.

A question for anyone: I have a fully paid-for manual transmission car that I love. Will I have to give it up?? I am NO WHERE NEAR able to operate that clutch yet. Any lefties able to get back to driving their manuals? If so, how long did it take? I can see the need for an automatic as I don't want to be dependent on my kids to drive me around much longer. I might buy something used and keep my stick shift as a second car.
 
@Clipless brilliant progress all round. I've got a manual clutch car too so interested in your question and the answer. Hope the PT goes well too.
 
Thanks @ Monkeyknee , I will enlist my 17 yr old to practice that technique, then he can teach me! If all else fails I can rent for a week or so until I'm ready to clutch.
 
Hi Everyone! I am a little confused about PT and pain meds, if someone has time to advise.

In summary, I am 16 days out doing my home exercises, walking the dog with cane to a nearby park, dangling, and doing gentle stretches. Active Flexion could be better but I'm determined not to worry much about it. The knee joint itself still has moderate swelling and stiffness but no real pain (at least nothing I interpret as pain). My left quad finally woke up, which is great, though I am nowhere near able to do a straight leg lift. Again, not worried because I told the PA and he said, "Don't worry", lol!

I'm a lightweight about pain meds, don't like how they make me feel, currently doing fine on one extra-strength Tylenol q8 hrs. I wake at night sometimes for a restroom break and/or sheer boredom but not from pain.

I'll graduate from home to outpatient PT later this week. I have Tramadol, which I have not used ever. The PA advised me to take one Tramadol an hour before PT.

QUESTIONS:
1) I thought we aren't supposed to let PT hurt us, therefore if I'm currently in no pain why the need for painkilkers before PT? Is it better NOT to take pain meds before PT and rely instead on nature to warn me not to over-do?
2) Or... is my sensation of stiffness upon bending actually "pain" that my silly brain doesn't interpret correctly?
3) Therefore, should I take the Tramadol as prescribed before PT to feel less stiffness and get more out of therapy... or not??
4) Lastly, should I give Tramadol a "dry run" at home to see how it affects me? I'd hate to arrive at PT feeling weird, nauseated, or light-headed.

Thanks so much!
Diana
 
Josephine always recommends Tramadol and says stiffness is pain or rather swelling is pain, should have said, so perhaps tagging her in your question might bring you some good advice.
You sound as if you are doing really well in your recovery. Great news!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Josephine , is it true stiffness = pain and should I pre-medicate for PT? (see my questions two post above)
I see contradictory advice on these forums, not sure how to proceed.
 
I am 16 days out doing my home exercises, walking the dog with cane to a nearby park,
you shouldn't be overdoing it taking doggie for a walk at 16 days. Read this Activity progression for TKRs
1) I thought we aren't supposed to let PT hurt us, therefore if I'm currently in no pain why the need for pain killers before PT? Is it better NOT to take pain meds before PT and rely instead on nature to warn me not to over-do?
Well, you're not wrong but knowing how over the top some US PTs are, you might want to think again. I'm very puzzled by you saying you have no pain. Are you sure you're not just thinking that the absence of the pain you had pre-op means you have no pain now? Don't forget to include other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness.
2) Or... is my sensation of stiffness upon bending actually "pain" that my silly brain doesn't interpret correctly? Therefore, should I take the Tramadol as prescribed before PT to feel less stiffness and get more out of therapy... or not??
You don't take pain meds to 'get more out of therapy' but to avoid ending up in pain! If you feel the stiffness and etc., isn't a pain to you and/or you find it tolerable, then go with it. We are all individuals and often react individually to these things.
4) Lastly, should I give Tramadol a "dry run" at home to see how it affects me? I'd hate to arrive at PT feeling weird, nauseated, or light-headed.
I'd say so.
I see contradictory advice on these forums
You do? I've not noticed it - but do please put me right, I may have missed it.
 
@Josephine , well I have seen advice to take pain meds before PT and not take pain meds before PT. Maybe I could track down and post quotes, but I don't wish to seem argumentative. That is not my intention AT ALL. I am extremely grateful for the support and information this forum provides. I just feel confused about pain and pain med indications. Thank you for the clarification in your answer to #2.

No, I don't feel like I'm in pain right now, as in zero just laying here. When I try to increase my bend I get a little "uncomfortable" but I stop before "unbearable". I have no sharp pains like before surgery, and no throbbing deep pain like what I experienced soon after. I didn't previously equate stiffness with pain. I guess I need to adjust my thinking, or my brain.

Thank you for everything!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom