TKR 8 Month Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Butting in here---I didn't have the same pain as pre-op either. What I had was a kind of achy stiffness that pain meds helped with.
 
Gosh you guys, thank you!!! ♡♡♡

Pain perception must be an individual thing to some extent. If I have a migraine or a toothache, for example, I fall apart. When my spinal block wore off after surgery and they couldn't give me anything I certainly noticed. That was a high alert, red flag "OH-NO-are-you-kidding-me!!!" sort of pain. But this level of discomfort (or lack there-of) is like..pfft. However, I will take a Tramadol tomorrow and see how I feel after my home exercises. If I notice an improvement I will maintain that regimen.

I honestly do not think I'm over-doing. If anything I'm a Lazy Bones. The park I walk to is super close, only five houses away. It takes me no more than 15 minutes to the entrance and back at a glacial pace. There's a path that winds around and through the park. It is a nice path, and I look forward to walking it, but I'm not ready yet.
 
A question for anyone: I have a fully paid-for manual transmission car that I love. Will I have to give it up?? I am NO WHERE NEAR able to operate that clutch yet. Any lefties able to get back to driving their manuals? If so, how long did it take? I can see the need for an automatic as I don't want to be dependent on my kids to drive me around much longer.

I had a left TKR 6 and a half weeks ago.
Today, I drove my manual car for the first time. Last week, I sat in the car ( with the motor switched off) and practiced moving my foot onto and off the clutch and depressing the clutch. It felt OK.

Today, I had no trouble at all using my left foot on the clutch. It all worked smoothly and didn't even hurt! I drove to the supermarket, bought the groceries and drove back home. No problems at all.

So, I'd say that there is every chance you will be able to drive your manual car again. Perhaps not as early in your recovery as you could drive an automatic, but I'm sure it will happen.
 
On the subject of knee stiffness this recent publication may help in putting certain factors into the question:
Several risk factors linked with postoperative knee stiffness requiring manipulation after TKA
Statistically significant risk factors for postoperative knee stiffness that required manipulation under anesthesia after total knee arthroplasty included black race, female gender, age, obesity and nicotine dependence, according to study results.
See:
https://www.healio.com/orthopedics/...ee-stiffness-requiring-manipulation-after-tka
 
^Isn't that referring to the inability to bend rather than the "feeling" of stiffness, though? A lot of us feel stiff during recovery but do gain bend.
 
Thanks for that, @Bumpa . I have a couple of risk factors for scar tissue formation. I hope I can avoid it!

@kneeper , thank you for your clarification on the stiff feeling. Does it ever go away?? I have been having "stiffness" that I did not perceive as "pain", and was consequently undermedicating. So I took one Tramadol this a.m. + one extra-strength Tylenol then did my usual stretching/bending exercises. I felt significantly less stiff and was able to gain bend! So... stiffness really IS pain. I did not understand before. Thank you so much Josephine, kneeper and everyone!!! ♡♡♡
 
It's amazing isn't it @Clipless ? I'd start to get that achy log leg feeling as the pain meds started to wear off. That's where keeping on a schedule helps.

I can tell you that yes, you'll find that feeling gradually diminishing--but it doesn't happen overnight. You are still very early in the whole process, so it's kind of one day at a time right now for you.

I'm so glad you're feeling more comfortable. Hope you have a good night. :sleep:
 
@Clipless thank you for visiting my thread. As you said our beginning was very similar. You have progressed very well. I am amazed that you are using a cane and walking even a few houses to the park at 11 days out. I know we all progress at different levels but please try not to over do it and have a set back.
 
@Clipless Sounds as if you are doing well with your recovery. I'm so glad to hear that.

Best wishes from a very cold Yorkshire.
 
@SuperSnapper , I'm just not happy with my ROM. At the initial outpatient PT yesterday it was 8/73 degrees, which is not where I should be at almost 3 weeks out. I had a lot of initial hard swelling, which limited movement, plus quad inhibition. I've seen graphs that show patients don't progress much if they don't have a good starting ROM. It's a sobering thought, but I'm hoping to be the exception rather than the rule. I am headed to the park to work my flexibility on this high-tech apparatus:
[Bonesmart.org] 8 Month Update
 
@Clipless. Love the pic of the playground. Sorry to hear about your ROM but don't get down - remember how long some people on here have taken to get an acceptable ROM. My surgeon said expect improvements up to 18-24 months. You are not even quite three weeks! Good grief girl, be kinder to yourself! My arthroscopic surgery took ages to recover from and this is much more serious and invasive surgery. You will get there! Why not tag one of the mods for advice , encouragement. In the meantime I am sending you a big Yorkshire hug
Take care

Mary xx:flwrysmile:
 
Friends, just like that (snaps fingers) I am finally able to do straight leg raises. On Day 20, woo HOO!!! Much tightness in the lower quad, but at least I can do it. I credit the wonderful PT.
 
Time is a big factor with that too.
 
thank you for your clarification on the stiff feeling. Does it ever go away??
Yes it does, but it can take some time to lose the stiffness---it took me five months or so to lose a limp due to some slight stiffness. Patience is the key.

you'll find that feeling gradually diminishing--but it doesn't happen overnight.
:iagree:
which is not where I should be at almost 3 weeks out.
And where should you be? Everybody recovers at there own rate---there is no timeline for recovery. Don't set goals for yourself---you may become frustrated and attempt to get better results by working even harder.

Perhaps if you cut back on what you are doing, and understand that "less is more"---you will see some better improvement.

It took me six months to reach 80%-85%, and it was not until eight months when I was around 90%-95%---yours should be quicker, but it will take time---and patience.
 
Those leg raises are not easy. I was so joyous about them yesterday that I probably did too many. Everything was pretty sore last night, so I slept with the leg elevated very high. It feels better today and I'm slacking off. PT later.
 
Take it easy---it is very easy to overdo things---especially in the early days of recovery. Again---we want to get things going and get on with our lives, but the harder you work---or the more that you work, the slower and more painful that leg can be.

Work and listen to the surgical knee---keep it happy and you will be just fine.
 
Hi Clipless!
I'm beginning to think that the most physically active folks are the ones with the problem quads. At almost 8 weeks, I still have issues engaging my quads sometimes for the leg lifts. I've not been medicating "stiffness". After reading your posts, I'm wondering if I should. I'm so over these narcotics. I can not take one then drive to PT, so I guess it will just have to be a slower recovery. Blech. I'm so glad you are doing so well and that you seem to have found a pain medication that your body will accept. -- Joni
 
Joni, we are practically neighbors (well, not quite)! I was at Monterey/Laguna Seca last May for the high school mountain bike state championships. So beautiful!
 
3 1/2 weeks post op Progress Report! Exactly one week ago at this time my ROM was +8/72 degrees. Today it is +4/85!!! I'm headed the right direction!

The cpm machine is leaving today (oh, boo hoo). I blame it for irritating the back of my knee and causing swelling there.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom