Guest viewing is limited

Hinged Joint 8 month regression^

I didn't realise but a man in gym must of overheard and he came to talk to me. He explained he was a retired PT and not to listen as everyone's journey different and he previously experienced lots of knees that took longer to bend. He was so loud when he was saying it! :heehee:
What a nice man! And he was so right.
 
That man was great for coming over to speak with you! I can still remember the day I had tears at PT because I was watching a girl that I knew was the same day as me and she was acting like she was several weeks ahead of me. I gave myself trouble for comparing - see what it got me! :) So yes, we can never let anyone tell us anything to influence how we are recovering. It's our knee, on our knee-time.

Yeah for getting that rotation. It's always such a good feeling with that first rotation.
 
I'm so glad that man came over to speak to you. He's so right! And that lady was so out of line. What an arrogant thing for her to say. :headbang:
 
Yay for one of the better PTs!
 
I know. Shame he's retired. I am not going to let it get to me. I've suffered with arthritis since being a teenager and have been exposed to many negative comments when needing to use a disabled space in car park or needing to leave work early. I have learnt that it says more about other people than about me.

@jaschembra , I agree. I have done the same. Whilst waiting at physio, I would see people who were so far advanced than me and couldn't help but compare. My husband who is honestly a saint at the moment would tell me to stop and remind me that I do not know their circumstances and they have not had numerous operations like me. I guess it's human nature though.
 
Whilst waiting at physio, I would see people who were so far advanced than me and couldn't help but compare.

It's so tempting to compare, isn't it? Your husband is right though. No one else has walked your journey and they haven't been through what you have. As long as you're progressing, that's what matters.


Sent from my Venue 7 3730 using Tapatalk
 
Evening, just an update for everyone. I'm 12 weeks post op. Life is easier in some ways. I'm not getting pain as such, only muscle soreness and stiffness. There's some pain if I do too much but it's bearable. I'm 90 degrees and seem to be stuck here but that's ok. I prayed for 90 for so long. Walking is improving.

I'm back at work part time but still not ready for full time as swelling still an issue, especially if I do too much. I really wish people would understand that everyone's journey is different. I am so fed up hearing 'my mum (Nan, grandad, brother) was fine after 6 weeks and was back at work full time'

I'm not them and I'm not ready. I'm not a lazy person. I'm trying my best and I'm putting effort into my rehab. I, not choosing to stay at home. Sorry just needed to rant as even close friends and family are guilty of this!
 
Good to hear from you! I’m sorry that people say the things they do. I’ve heard it too. Even from people themselves who’ve had a knee replacement. If it’s been a while they must not remember what it was like, which shocks me. I may not remember the specific timetable but I will remember that it’s a long difficult recovery!
 
Thank you @Jockette. I don think anyone intends to be unkind. You are right that it's easy to forget. Everyone has their own journey and it cannot be rushed. Hope you are well.
 
I’m just ok. 10 months post op and not thrilled with where I am. But I’m still counting on more healing with time. But my journey has been disappointing.

Did your surgeon hassle you about not having the MUA?
 
It’s such a hard recovery @Jockette. Sorry you disappointed.

I haven’t seen OS, I cancelled MUA via his secretary! I was due follow up two weeks ago. I’m not brave enough to book another appointment just yet!
 
Well good for you for making your own decisions! I was always afraid to cancel an appointment with my surgeon.

My 7 month check went much better than I expected. He wanted to see me again in 3 months but I easily talked him into waiting until the one year mark. That will be in March.

I always feel like I have to prove my progress to him and that it won’t be enough. I still have a lot of limitations. I don’t even want to bring them up because they usually ask about the exercises and I’m not doing them and I’m afraid they’ll say, well....

I don’t feel I’ve gotten much recovery support from him, pleasant as he is and I’m sure he did a good job installing my implant. The rest I’ve gotten here at Bonesmart.
 
Many people don’t understand the seriousness of a TKR surgery or the length of recovery. I think we need a t-shirt/sweatshirt that says TKR recovery takes 12 months. It would save us from having to explain.
 
We’d probably have to spell out the words, until I had one I didn’t know what TKR/PKR stood for!
 
@Tanya76, I am so impressed with your attitude and commitment. I have so much I could say to you in relation to the advise you get here at Bonesmart and my own stupid decisions concerning my stuck range of motion and the advise I took regardless of all the good information on this site. I will go into detail on my recovery page. For now, please hang in there. You are doing just fine. Slow and steady is the way to go. And trust your instincts. You've gotten some excellent advise from the friends on this site, at the gym with the retired PT (bless him), and your loving husband. You are lucky!
 
Thank you @Jazzabelle, I am very lucky. This group has been amazing. I see the retired PT at gym most days. He doesn't always speak but gives an encouraging smile. I was so naive going into this journey. I honestly thought I would be 'fixed' within 6 weeks! I had some really really low days in first few weeks but through this site, I realised that I just can't rush the process and there's nothing I can do to make it go quicker. Even at 12 weeks, I still not there but I'm making progress. I would love to read your experience too. Thank you for your kind words.
 
Am at 14 weeks. Saw OS this week. He was pleased that I'm at 90. We spoke about the limited mobility and the swelling. He thinks I need to understand the limitations and thinks I'm unlikely to progress further due to all the previous operations I have had.

I had to have a hinged knee and he said he had been worried that it might not have worked and said he's relived that I have got as far as I have. It's mostly less painful than it was, however, I sometimes get intense pain. I can't walk or stand too long. I was such an active person prior to this operation and am struggling to accept this might be it. I have been trying hard to make progress and had been pleased that I got to 90 but feel like giving up.

Sorry to be so negative.
 
This is picture of type of knee replacement I had
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] 8 month regression^
    IMG_0586.PNG
    31 KB · Views: 317

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom