Guest viewing is limited

Hinged Joint 8 month regression^

Hi @rtkneeandy, I was in exactly the same position at 6 weeks. I know it's frustrating but there is little that you can do other than rest, ice and elevate. I learnt the hard way that trying to push it won't work. I noticed that when I relaxed and went about normal daily activities, I noticed improvements. Sometimes the improvements are so subtle. You just notice that you are sitting easier or it's aching less.

I know I still have a way to go but I feel much better at 9 weeks.

Good luck.
 
Hi @rtkneeandy, I was in exactly the same position at 6 weeks. I know it's frustrating but there is little that you can do other than rest, ice and elevate. I learnt the hard way that trying to push it won't work. I noticed that when I relaxed and went about normal daily activities, I noticed improvements. Sometimes the improvements are so subtle. You just notice that you are sitting easier or it's aching less.

I know I still have a way to go but I feel much better at 9 weeks.

Good luck.
Thanks for the reply, I'm glad you are doing well and looking forward to hear of your progress. Every little bit helps when you're stuck like this I've decided that I'm not going back to the surgeon for 3 weeks to give myself a chance to heal. He wanted to do a MUA at 6 weeks which is today because my ROM was only at 55. I'm definitely icing elevating and resting walking until I think it's time to sit down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
 
It's very hard @rtkneeandy, I completely agree that every bit helps. I remember thinking I will never get there. I was told I would need an MUA if I didn't get to 90 by this week. I have had a previous MUA after a different operation so I know they can work, however, I wanted to be given the opportunity to get better alone.

I think that it's a good plan not to go back to surgeon for another three weeks.

I know it feels like forever, but it will get easier.

Best wishes.
 
I can’t pull my foot up behind me very high either. I’m not worried about it. It’s not like it’s necessary, when do you do that in normal activities?

I can do lots of other things and that’s what counts.
 
@Tanya76
So you had no physical therapy at all?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
 
@rtkneeandy Hardly any. I had a couple of sessions at the beginning but the PT kept trying to allow me to push knee into a deeper bend so I took a break. I had a break for around three weeks. I was told by OS that I needed to return as the PT would need to assess if I got to 90 degrees. The PT has been better since break. I have had two massages and she has recommended different exercises which have included attempting rotations on bike. There has been no physical touching of knee to get more of a bend. She told me I must have been working hard to get to late 80's but I said that I have been resting and doing daily activities.
 
@Jockette I am not sure if getting this will help with bike. I love going to gym and ideally need to be able to pull my knee higher behind me to undertake the activities I enjoy at the gym. I understand that I might not get the level of movement I previously had but would like more.
 
@Tanya76
Good job with PT. The similarities just keep coming my first visit with PT was okay second visit got it so swelled I couldn't walk the next day third visit not much better that was over a week ago I think I'm finished. I sure wish these surgeons wouldn't push so hard so fast making you feel like you're a failure. Really glad I found your thread thanks for posting really helped my Outlook. Maybe I can do the same for someone in the future vs poor range of motion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
 
Using the exercise bike to "rock" back and forth before you get to that full revolution was helpful to me. I would only do it about 5 minutes at a time but it seemed to help.
 
@rtkneeandy Im sorry you had similar experience with PT. I felt like a failure for 6 week due to physio and then OS. I am glad you have found post useful. I still have a way to go but feel more confident that my body will get there. This forum has been so supportive. I have found so many people who have helped. When you are going through this, you feel you are the only one

Good luck and keep us updated with progress.
 
Using the exercise bike to "rock" back and forth before you get to that full revolution was helpful to me. I would only do it about 5 minutes at a time but it seemed to help.

This is good to hear @kneeper I am doing this occasionally for 5 mins. I am nowhere near going full rotation but I think it's getting further each time.
 
Was feeling so positive yesterday, however, knee kept me awake all night (first time in weeks!) Today, it's swollen and painful to walk on. Just as I thought I was turning a corner. I did nothing excessive yesterday. :what:
 
Could you have done something in your sleep? It is so annoying how the knee will hurt and we don't know why. It happens a lot, though, in the early months. Aches and pains will pop up anywhere.
 
I agree. Sometimes it can be a sleeping position, especially in early months. This happened to me often.

Also, a knee can just “act up” for no apparent reason. A new exercise can do it, or sitting in a certain way it didn’t like. Weather can cause a knee to ache, too. My mom’s replacements are more than ten years along and while she’s pain-free for 99% of the time, she gets an ache once or twice a year. It’s nothing to worry about mostly.
 
Thank you for advice. Having really tough day today. Lots of pain and swelling which has even prevented walking. I’m hoping tomorrow better day
 
Hopefully, you have rested and iced all day. Your knee is telling you it's too young to be doing what you doing. Try cutting back for a few weeks.
 
Oh Wow @Tanya 90 degrees! Congratulations!! :yes!:

Even with my small bend of 60, the bend is even small on the attempt to get it to my backside.. so I'd love to know the reason behind this as well!

So sorry you've had a little setback... it's so easy to get excited and overdo... maybe you pushed a little too much on the bike? I've done that a number of times. But good news is that with rest and elevation it will calm down!!!

@rtkneeandy - yes stories like Tanya's are so inspiring. Sadly my knee is not following this route at - 60 flex at approx 2 months and 1 week - and I feel it's due to some of the things I experienced early in my recovery. I read a medical article yesterday that stated that there had been no studies on knees with low ROM that left to their own devices (without an MUA), would continue to heel and gain ROM on their own! Well.. the medical community needs to discover BoneSmart! But in cases like mine, I'm just not sure what would happen - if I truly have adhesions - I do need an MUA - but sadly there's no way to tell for sure unless I go through the MUA. I'm very happy for Tanya and she is truly a great testimony for others.
 
Last edited:
@funkymuae @Tanya76. Wow 90 deg. I can not find that post. Congratulations are you still there at 90? How did it happen? Well funky u and I have work to do just wish I knew how... Am still at 55 ish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
 
Hi @rtkneeandy yes, hit the magic 90 last week. I'm hoping it's still there as it's more swollen and I have lots of muscle pain. I managed a full roatation on bike at gym today. I was sat up high but it's progress. I was sat next to a lady in her 70's who told me she had knee replacement 16 weeks ago and breezed through it as she was so fit and flexible prior to operation. I explained the troubles I have had any she said 'you youngesters all the same, want things without putting the work in!' I just put head phones in.

I didn't realise but a man in gym must of overheard and he came to talk to me. He explained he was a retired PT and not to listen as everyone's journey different and he previously experienced lots of knees that took longer to bend. He was so loud when he was saying it! :heehee:

Stay strong @funkymuse and @rtkneeandy. It will come.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom