Guest viewing is limited

Hinged Joint 8 month regression^

I’m sorry you feel like giving up. Being told this might be as good as it gets is upsetting.

You are only 14 weeks out. The inside of your knee/leg still has tons of healing to do. That alone means improvement.

I have been trying hard to make progress and had been pleased that I got to 90 but feel like giving up.

Instead of looking at it like you’re giving up, try to take a step back from “trying so hard to make progress “ and just go about the things you do in a normal day and give your poor knee the privilege of sorting itself out. (my favorite quote from @Josephine )

Look at the size of that thing they put in your leg! Even a leg that hasn’t had a lot of surgeries would take time to adjust to that. :console2:
 
Thank you @Jockette. I'm just having off day. I am going to have a few rest days. I'm working full time and I'm finding it hard. I think I kept thinking that things will improve. I think his lack of positivity struck me. I'm blessed to have this group.
 
Wasn’t he talking MUA a while back? And now he tells you this?

I’m sorry you’re having an off day, but just to let you know, there will be many more. :console2:I still have them at 11 months. Last Saturday was an especially bad one. It seems this recovery will never end.

I would imagine that you still have the energy drain going and having to be back at work is very hard.

This recovery messes with our minds as well as our bodies!

Thankfully we all have each other here on Bonesmart! I am so thankful for this forum, the staff does an awesome job!
 
Last edited:
I was having a lot of trouble relaxing the muscle enough to do the PT without tending up. My PT started massaging the leg first then doing PT. Helped more then you could know. Might give that a try
 
Yes @Jockette! He did, he said no point in MUA now as I have a knee that functions. I think you are right about the down days and energy drain. Sorry to hear that you still having down days. I agree, this site and the continued support is god send.

:angel:
 
Really @Pumpkln. I have not met anyone else who has had hinged knee. Do you think it makes difference to recovery? Thank you. Im trying hard not too. Today just really bad day. I think it's the thought that life may stay like this.
 
Thank you @ATHIKER PT was doing massages before PT which did help. PT stopped this week though. She said she thinks that her role no longer needed and I need to do exercises she has suggested.
 
Walmart has handheld massagers in pharmacy I think it was $30 and it's pretty self explanatory. So the days my PT doesn't come I use it before I do my stretches and it helps.
 
I had my left tkr 15 weeks ago nothing as fancy as yours and I only have rom of 90. P.T. class hurt so haven’t been for a while! I’m still taking pain meds and still in quite a bit of pain. I keep saying - that saying ‘it’s a marathon not a sprint’! Just keep telling people it takes a year you know. People seem to think I should be back to normal now! Take care of yourself and sit and take it easy.
 
Mine was a revision, so yes it was easier. Your recovery should be about the same as for a TKR.
Of course everyone and every knee is different.
 
Hi @Tanya76 - hang in there dear friend... I like the encouraging posts on your thread and somehow we need to believe and know that the miracle of bend and getting back to a normal life will happen for us too and I think most of that miracle is time, patience, and most of all God's Grace. Sending love and hugs...
 
,
Hello,
I am sorry that you are feeling bad. I don’t think you are negative but if you feel you are I think it is Ok to feel that way. It would be a wonder if you were not.
It is not proper to offer advice, medical or personal, but I can only relay what I’m going thru and it may help you or maybe not.


I had the feelings of giving up also. So I finally did and it was a very good decision, for me.
I was not sure what it was that I wanted to give up on but I said, “ I’ve had it” , “I give up , I can’t do this anymore”. I was always told to never give up and fight but I decided to.
What was I giving up? What was I fighting? Was it my Knee, PT , Dr., age, life, my situation ? I wasn’t sure. I was frustrated.
I finally figured out what I neede to give up. I gave up my expectations, I gave up listening to Dr’s ,PT’s, most other people’s experiences.
I gave up comparing myself to where others were. Like you I prayed for 90 rom, for so long I was suck at 65,and after 2 years I got it. I can ride a bike. It doesn’t hurt. Many things I can’t do that I used to but it’s ok now. I’m doing well. I’m still healing. Ice and elevate that’s this Bonesmart mantra. My daughter is always reminding me to ice, after all this time, she’s right, I’m still making progress, it’s still hot and healing. Do this.
Your husband is right.
You have been thru a very traumatic injury, elective but a injury, and it sometimes take a while to heal. Depression and all those negative feelings wernall part of it for me and others. Those feeling will pass, you have to let them. Your body will keep on healing by itself. Don’t grit your teeth and fight by pushing your knee and hurting it or looking for answer from others. You will get better than you are now.( Only my opinion, I did)

You are very blessed to have such a good outcome. You can’t get everything from therapists,other people or Dr.’s,( Only my opinion). I went thur a lot, and I’m doing very good. You will too
Be easy on yourself.
Sincerely,
One who’s been there
 
I finally figured out what I neede to give up. I gave up my expectations, I gave up listening to Dr’s ,PT’s, most other people’s experiences.
I gave up comparing myself to where others were.

This is along the lines of what I wanted to say earlier but couldn’t find the right words. Thank you for sharing your experience. It’s what all of us need to hear.
 
Thank you fir your wise words @Steve4kids. I empathise with everything you say. I know you are right and often wonder what alternative is when I say ' I can't do this anymore or I give up' I just can't see anything clearly at moment. I'm 42 with a very active job and feeling little deflated. I'm sure things will become more positive in time. Thank you for taking time to comment. It's good to talk to people who truly understand. I'm glad you are doing well.
 
Wow @Steve4kids - that was amazing! Such an inspiring post for everyone!!! Thank you. Hope you are feeling better today Tanya...
 
Steve4kids,
Thank you for saying what many of us have been through on our recovery journey, but are unable to express as well as you have.
 
At 14 weeks I was still struggling quite a bit, particularly with doubts that it was going to get better. Now, at almost 9 months, I can tell you that "it" has! I'm still not where many of my calendar companions are (comparing is unavoidable!), but I can attest that letting go of some expectations and making peace with where I am, at each moment, was critical to the calm and ease I feel now about living my life daily. So what if many days I still find it faster and more comfortable to go up and down stairs one foot at a time, or if I usually seek out our comfort-height toilet on the main floor, rather than the short ones upstairs? The grinding pain is gone, I can get around mostly okay, and I don't think about the Knee every minute. I've driven 600 miles by myself to visit my mom (and a BS friend! :roseshwr:), had two large family gatherings with lots of standing up at the kitchen counter, and have sat for hours at my computer, finishing a large editing job for our public TV station (sitting was the hardest for the longest for me). Now I know that there are more milestones coming, and although my "bend" still isn't stellar, it does allow me to have a full life. Will I get to the point where I can ride a "real" bike outside, paint at an easel outdoors standing up, or--heck--even be able to glide up and down stairs with my former grace? I have no idea. But I'm still hopeful! These things just aren't coming as fast as I would like.

Feeling deflated is normal. Others have said this, but you are still on a long journey with quite a bit of time to go. What's the saying? Good things come to those who wait. I know it's hard, but try to enjoy your successes, no matter how little; and trust that your current physical state is not likely to be where you will end up. Hugs to you!:friends:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom