Bilateral TKR 79newknees Recovery Thread

I was heavily involved in a water exercise class geared for folks with arthritis and those post-surgical, prior to my surgery. However, post surgery, you couldn't get me in that pool if you paid me. I had some kind of skin and suture inflammation almost from the day after surgery through five months post op. In fact, my surgeon advised no pt of any kind until everything healed up, just to do zero level rotations on the recumbent bike to keep things loose, and, of course, walk. I was placed on antibiotics three different times, and suffered intestinal challenges for months afterwards. Would I risk getting an infection in the pool after all that? Absolutely not. And in addition, the pool has a strict no open wounds in the water policy for sanitary reasons. So, I join with the others in urging extreme caution in going in the pool. I remember in the early days after surgery, that covering the stitch area with plastic and tape to make it water tight for showers didn't prevent moisture completely, so I wonder how they are able to assure you that everything is water tight at your pool. If it were me, I would put it off for a couple more weeks until the scabs fall off. We folks in our 70's need to get this recovery to happen without any hitches, don't you think? I personally don't want to waste any more time recovering than is absolutely necessary! You are doing so well and I thoroughly enjoy reading about your progress.
 
I wasn't cleared for the pool till incision was completely healed, no scabs or open areas.
 
Yes @SusieShoes, it is so interesting hearing about all the different approaches. My surgeon for instance does not recommend excessive walking! All very confusing, but ultimately up to the individual in the end.....no real hard and fast rules!? The main thing is we all get a good result.As an ex nurse, admittedly many years ago, it was amazing the difference in recoveries between individuals who had undergone the same surgery.
 
Day 19.
Still a bit stiff and sore getting up from a slightly raised chair.Otherwise all good, except for sitting for long periods.Awake every two hours at night, but since I don't do much during the day, except on PT days, it is OK.
I have stopped taking Dilaudid 2mg during the day, just one at night if necessary.
Take one Jurnista 8mg daily.
Panadol osteo x 4 times a day.
Meloxicam x 2 daily.
I feel much better since dropping the Dilaudid.
Walking around easily with no aids in house, except for stairs!
Use arm crutches when out and about, I could just use one, but it is very uneven terrain around here!
I think I am very lucky.xx
 
My surgeon for instance does not recommend excessive walking!
I don't think any surgeon recommends excessive walking - perhaps you misunderstood what SusieShoes said.

Walking (within limits that your knee can manage) is actually the best exercise of all for a new knee.
 
Oh, sorry,@Celle, if I misunderstood. I love @SusieShoes posts!perhaps she meant "a lot of walking"!
My surgeon does not agree with walking too far? In the early stages of healing.Some patients get over excited that their actual joint does not hurt any more, and over do!(mostly men) I am just recounting his advice! Interesting the different approaches.
 
Last edited:
You don't start off with a lot of walking. You start with just a few minutes and gradually increase the distance or time, as long as your knee doesn't object.
 
Three weeks post op.
Climbing stairs with one hand rail.
Descending one at a time.
Lots of wandering around hanging out washing(not carrying)
Very excited with new knees.
Stiff when standing, but it soon passes once I get moving.
Short whirl on the bike,well, perhaps a whirl is a bit of an exaggeration, more a very slow short rotation!
Each day I am so thankful for my wonderful surgeon.
 
Last edited:
Thanks @Celle, I am really taking it easy, going to PT tomorrow will be the most taxing!
Reading through the list, I actually don't think I am doing enough walking, but it is very rough terrain around our garden, which I normally look after with no outside help, except for the lawn mowing. It is my passion, and I can't wait to get out into it again, especially as it is spring here, though I did manage to get it all(1acre) under control before the surgery.
 
I actually don't think I am doing enough walking
If it hurts, stop. If it doesn't, don't. Like everyone's been saying :)
Short whirl on the bike,well, perhaps a whirl is a bit of an exaggeration, more a very slow short rotation!
Using a static bike for mobility exercises.

  • Set the bike to zero resistance
  • Set the saddle low enough so that a single rotation is a challenge; difficult but not painful. When a rotation becomes easy right from the start, lower the saddle a max of 1cm.
  • Gently turn the pedals, through discomfort but without pain.
  • Continue until the knee is 'warmed up' and the rotation is now easy, or for 2 minutes, whichever is the shorter time.
  • Repeat several/many times a day, but don't go mad. Diminishing returns will apply; my guess is that half a dozen reps would be enough
  • Do not pedal fast or for more than 2 minutes, this is a stretching exercise, not training.
  • And if you get any pain or swelling in the 24 hours after doing this, cut it down until you don't
Here is a bit more chat and some pix and how 'healing' and 'training' are different
 
Hi @79newknees! Your surgery was about 10 days before mine, so I've been enjoying reading your recovery thread. Today I'm at 9 days and you are at about 3 weeks. I like seeing what you can do, such as a stair up/down and a slow whirl on the bike. I can't imagine doing that yet but am excited to get where you are.

My Dr. has taken a very slow approach to PT which I'm grateful. I have a PT that comes to my home 3xs a week. He takes my vitals, asks about my pain meds and levels, then we work on some exercises but he never pushes them. He says, "let's just see where you are at today". Some I can't do, so we don't. Some I can do so he praises me for that. Beginning this Friday, my home therapy stops and I go in to the therapy gym. I know to say "No" to anything I want to and I will.

Overall, it sounds like you are doing very well. Thanks for the inspiration.
 
@Joy77 , so glad it is a help. Right on the three weeks, things have changed, first night of good sleep,with no extra Panadol osteo, awoke 3 times for the loo....but that is pretty normal for me. I noticed yesterday, that I could get up from a normal chair without groaning!( I sat there without thinking!) , and did not doze off at all during the day.I do think I have been very fortunate with the surgeon I had. I personally don't like the icing, so have used none since coming home, I have found lying down with legs elevated the best thing of all. I go to PT twice a week,and seem to be progressing faster than some, but must say I don't religiously do the exercises at home.The PT is pretty full on, but nothing is forced, and all bending etc is under your own steam!I do feel it has been a great benefit.Your surgeon sounds very lovely....it is a help to have a bit of empathy!
 
23 days post op.
Second really good nights sleep....so happy.
I do not use any aids when out and about or at home, except the raised toilet and rails around. I am so thrilled with my knees. The tendons, tissues around them are still quite sore when getting up and down from sitting.Otherwise the joints are completely pain free.
Am taking things very quietly, and not overdoing things, but it is nice to get out and about doing the shopping and having the odd meal out.Appart from a spin on my stationary bike,and having a spell with legs elevated, I really don't do exercises at home but enjoy the PT, and pool, twice a week and feel it is very beneficial. ROM 0--116 and 0--112.
I think I have been very fortunate.
 
Last edited:
@sistersinhim, thanks so much, I am hoping I am an encouragement for folk in the older age bracket....early days yet, but so far so good.x
 
You'd better believe you are an inspiration to all of us! You're rocking this recovery! Give yourself a big pat on the back!
 
I had my BTKR on 20th August....am going quite well I think, but am getting a bit of back and hip pain on one side, due no doubt to that leg being straightened, and changing the angle I would imagine.I can do most things, ...I go to PT twice a week, but don't do any exercises at home, except a whirl on my stationary bike for 5 mins, and lie with legs elevated quite a lot. I have never iced at home..No pain at all in knee joint, but tissues around very tender.Am walking everywhere with out any aids, but haven't started driving yet.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom