Bilateral TKR 79newknees Recovery Thread

They’re great, aren’t they? :happydance: You’ll probably still have days where you’ll experience some pain or stiffness ahead but it’s wonderful you’re having so little pain. I rather felt the same way a lot of the time too. I think when you’ve lived so long with horribly painful knees, it’s just so amazing to have these new ones without the bone on bone pain.

Let us know how you do on the stairs. Home is within your grasp!

Steps this morning...no trouble, so all go to go home tomorrow.I must say I have been very lucky with the wonderful PTs and surgeon I have had, and being able to stay on in hosp for an extra five days of rehab.I will be starting twice weekly rehab when I get home.

Limbering up for discharge tomorrow...playing around on the pedal things.....yippee I can do full rotation with both knees....backwards...
I hope "touch wood", this gives encouragement to all the older people thinking of going the bilateral route....I feel perhaps it doesn't really matter how old you are, providing you are in reasonable health...?
I am so glad I chose to do this.xxx
I must say I was very apprehensive pre op!

Straight legs for the first time in 79 years!

Attachments

• IMG_2313.JPG
    IMG_2313.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 247
That’s wonderful! :flwrysmile:

Your legs look barely swollen! What is your secret?
I’m having the same mesh closing as in your pic. It looks more comfy than staples. Is it?

Yes beachy, very comfortable, the suture is under the skin, so you can't see it. Re the swelling, I have had quite a bit plus bruising....last night I slept with my feet well above my head, and it has worked.I have not done much icing, only after PT in the morning, and sometimes in the afternoon, as an excuse to get on my bed! They only allow 20 minutes.I am going home on hydromorphine 2 or 4 mg four hourly or less as needed.I think having my legs elevated has been the best thing.waiting for PT before going home, then I will come in twice a week for PT, pool etc. I am so excited about straight legs, and new knees!

Congratulations, sounds like you are doing great!

You are an amazing lady! Your knees looked really good. Elevating is working for you!

beachy It is a dressing, not a closure method.Second dressing post op.The closure method is a long stitch under the skin with just the ends poking out each end of the incision, which are cut off shorter at the second dressing, not to be removed, but dissolve.

Lovely to be home.... went for big walk around local shopping centre, so great to walk without pain.First Outpatient PT, lots of gain both at about 109 and 0, had o go on the bike, exhausting, but sure loosened the knees up! Next PT I will go in the pool after the exercises....too tired today!Walking around house without crutches, and arm crutches outside.Still waking every two or three hours at night!....annoying!

had o go on the bike, exhausting, but sure loosened the knees up!
Sounds like you're doing great. Don't overdo the bike, you don't need training yet - having said that, it sounds like you're doing it right. Here's our standard wisdom on the subject.
  • Set the bike to zero resistance
  • Set the saddle low enough so that a single rotation is a challenge; difficult but not painful. When a rotation becomes easy right from the start, lower the saddle a max of 1cm.
  • Gently turn the pedals, through discomfort but without pain.
  • Continue until the knee is 'warmed up' and the rotation is now easy, or for 2 minutes, whichever is the shorter time.
  • Repeat several/many times a day, but don't go mad. Diminishing returns will apply; my guess is that half a dozen reps would be enough
  • Do not pedal fast or for more than 2 minutes, this is a stretching exercise, not training.
  • And if you get any pain or swelling in the 24 hours after doing this, cut it down until you don't
Here is a bit more chat and some pix and how 'healing' and 'training' are different

Next PT I will go in the pool after the exercises
I wouldn't attempt the pool yet. Your knees are just 2 weeks old. This is way too soon to be going in a pool. The water adds extra resistance so it's just like using weights. That's a no no for at least 2-3 months. Also, you must be completely healed of any scabs or opened places. You don't want any unwanted 'bug's getting in there!

My surgeon told PT to put me in the pool at 4 weeks. My first (and only) pool therapy session was 50 minutes long and they had me do countless knee bending exercises, and walking frontwards, sidewards, and backwards :yikes: My balance was still not good and I was so scared.

It took me 3 days of additional pain to recover.

I agree with sistersinhim, it’s too soon for you.

Thanks everyone for the input. At the rehab they are very careful with everything, and make sure the dressings are completely watertight and wound dry before using the pool . It is supervised by their head physio.I don't have to do it , but I want to, as I really enjoyed it pre op, and I think it is contributing to my great recovery. Yes Roy, they gave me the exact same instructions re the bike.
On a different note, I had my first really good night last night, all due to a very soft thin down pillow, which I used between my legs when sleeping on side, and under my knees when lying on my back...so comfortable...no pain killers from 9pm till 7 am!
Practising on the seven steps in the middle of our house today, and a short shopping expedition with my daughter.
I don't use any aids in the house, and only the arm crutches when out and about, soon to be one crutch.
I think all the pre op exercises, pool etc have given me a headstart, but of course everyone is different. I have not used any ice since being home, and find lying on the couch with legs slightly raised wonderful between activities. But of course every one is so very different!

@79newknees you are amazing!

I’m so happy to see how well you’re doing. Keep inspiring me and all the other replacers out there!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
galvesean
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom