Bilateral TKR 79newknees Recovery Thread

Legs having a break!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] 79newknees Recovery Thread
    IMG_2328.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 306
Thank you 2@atime, everyone has been a great inspiration to me, especially you!
There are not many posts from the late 70's , so I hope they are finding it encouraging, as I know a huge number of late seventy , and eighty yo's have this procedure.
 
My mother had her second knee replacement at age 85 and she had an uneventful recovery.
 
@Celle, that is wonderful,... I was worried about leaving it too long, but it seems 80 plus year olds do just as well as anyone else!
 
IMHO general condition and mental preparedness has more to do with good recovery than age.
My grand babies and I played dot to dot with my bruises. They were spectacular and who know I had a dragon on my left leg (according to 3 year old grandson)
 
I was worried about leaving it too long, but it seems 80 plus year olds do just as well as anyone else!
As long as your general health is good, your recovery should be OK.
 
Please remove this if it is inappropriate.
I found it very interesting, as this was my surgeon, and the knee arthroplasty is the Allegra Active.
I must admit I skipped the actual surgery section!
 
I agree that it's interesting. In spite of what this surgeon says, you do not need to do lots of active exercises to rehabilitate a knee after replacement. Many of us have had successful outcomes without formal exercises, but just by allowing our activities of daily living to be our exercise.

It's important to give the knee time to start healing from the surgery before you start doing a lot of exercises.
My surgeon doesn't allow any PT at all for the first month after a knee replacement. He says your knee needs that time, to start on its journey of healing. For that month, we rest, ice and elevate our leg, and walk around the house.
After that month, we just go to PT once every 2 weeks, where we are shown a few new exercises to do at home.
His patients all do well and achieve good ROM (Range of Motion), as I did, and he hasn't had to do a manipulation to help with ROM for the past 4 years. I think that speaks for itself.

The surgeon on this video says you can start driving from 2 weeks post-op, and "If you can walk to your car, you can drive."
You need to modify his advice with a lot of common sense.
While you may be able to walk to your car, getting into and out of the car may present problems.
You need to be clear-headed - which means you need to be off the heavy-duty narcotics.
You need to be able to do an emergency stop, and to operate the foot pedals quickly and accurately.
 
Yes @Celle, they all seem to have different approaches, ...... what works for one person doesn't for another. This surgeon seems to be spoken of very highly and results excellent. Of course it was a bit of a generalisation re the driving....automatic vehicle and LTKR ( depending which side of the road is driven on!)and of course not taking any narcotic drugs, etc, though someone who had his op on the same day as I did, is driving to and fro to PT!
So great to hear about all the different recommendations on this site, and as you say, common sense is the best way, and what seems to work for the individual.
Really when you see what they do, it is a wonder we can walk at all!
 
Everyone's recovery is different.
What is common to all is that the most important thing is to listen to your knee and keep it happy.

If your knee hurts at the time, or afterwards, stop doing that particular activity. Activities that make your knee more stiff or swollen, or keep you awake at night with pain, should be avoided.

Activities that you can't do in the first few weeks may be all right later in recovery. It's all a matter of finding a balance between doing just enough and doing too much.
 
Maybe you should ask your surgeon about going in the pool. We are really concerned that you are using it so early.

You are having a very good recovery, but that can change by trying to do some things too soon.

Let’s ask @Josephine.
 
@79newknees I have removed the Youtube because many of the things that are said are contrary to BoneSmart protocols.
 
@Jockette, I have not been to the pool yet as feel too tired after the PT....but might next week...there are others who have been going since week two post op, and seem to enjoy it.The head PT is very cautious and kind!
 
Sorry @Josephine, I didn't realise this site was about promoting bonesmart protocol. I thought it was about individuals experiences, with helpful hints and support, which it does so well.

Thanks for taking the Youtube down.
 
BoneSmart protocol is about individuals' experiences, with helpful hints and support! That and nothing more!
 
Are your wounds completely healed? You don't want to take the chance to introducing an infection from the pool.
 
Surgeon very keen on pool..... all wounds are securely waterproofed. Any sign of any seepage etc....banned immediately . Scabbed over and waterproofed OK.
 
Scabs mean your still have unhealed places. I'd be awfully afraid of even a tiny pin-point leak. Of course, it's your decision. We are just trying to help you with our past experiences. What's the rush? Why take the chance?
 
The pool time is really part of the post op PT,( insurance protocol)and one is expected to do all of it(or most of it) to qualify. However it has been OK to skip the first two sessions, but I hope to take the plunge on Monday, if not too tired! Thank you for your concern, I am fully aware of dangers if it is inappropriate. This facility has a zero infection record, and scars will be fully waterproofed!
 
Oh, I would feel so much happier for your pool therapy (I too love the pool!) if your scabs were fallen off. But then I'm one of those people who practice an abundance of caution.

Every surgeon has his or her own set of recovery guidelines. Mine was all about walking for knee rehabilitation. He gave me the okay to use the pool at six weeks, but it wasn't part of his rehab program. Just left me to decide what I wanted to do at that point! :snork: Ultimately we all custom-make our own recoveries.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom