Bilateral TKR 79newknees Recovery Thread

@79newknees I’m so sorry to hear about this. I’m sure it’s just one of those minor setbacks we all experience during our recoveries.

You have had a wonderful recovery thus far, please don’t let this upset you. I believe your wonderful attitude and outlook has had a lot to do with your recovery.

Keep us posted...sending positive thoughts and wishes all the way from South Florida!

Best,

L
 
Thank you @2@atime Apparently there has been a bleed( several actually counting the three I had last week!)! It seems all I can do is ice and rest....so disappointing, as I was going so well...back on two crutches yesterday, and one today...this was my best leg too....:umm::bawl:
 
Last edited:
Hey! How goes it? Hope you’re getting better. Haven’t seen you post in a while.

Best,

Leslie
 
Hi Leslie, Well, very slow progress with this knee! The other is a champ, but this troublemaker is being very difficult. There seems to be a bruise coming out on my thigh...no idea what that is about...am using two crutches when out and about, just in case it gets worse....a bit swollen and bruised! I think I will speak to my OS next week, when he gets back from hols. Sun out today, and spring is springing, so that has given me a lift!We have a grandson who is an orchestral conductor, and I hope I will be able to make his concert in December.....surely I will be much better by then!:whistle:
 
Last edited:
@79newknees Hope your OS gets to the bottom of this bruising mystery. It is a challenge to get through this recovery at times. It seems when we get too confident about how well we’re doing, BTKR says...hold on there a minute.

So jealous you’re starting to experience Spring..my favorite season. We’re soon going to have change the clocks again and “fall back” and lose an hour of sunlight and in Souh Florida still have to keep an eye on any hurricanes that might develop.

Keep us posted on what your OS says. You know that you have my best wishes.

Best,

Leslie

[Bonesmart.org] 79newknees Recovery Thread
 
79newknees, sure is better when the weather is nice enough to let you get outside. Here in States, fall is here n winter close by so fortunately being a snowbird, gonna head South in Dec. to follow the sun.

2atime, yes please keep an eye out for hurricanes. Looking forward to rehabbing this new knee over the winter down there. We are on east side, on Jensen Beach. Timed my surgery so could take advantage of that great warm weather in winter, which we do not have here in upstate NY.
 
@Softtail
Can I sneak into one of your suitcases? LOL. We’re in MD and we dread winter. Heading to FL for 2 months next winter.

@79newknees
Ahh spring. Then summer. In spite of your knee troubles lately at least you have good weather around the corner. Hope you get your issues resolved soon!
 
Thank you @beachy, @Softtail and Leslie, yes it is lovely to see the spring growth, we have had rain after a bad drought, so all is well.I speak to my OS nurse on Wed, OS on holidays....actually today the swelling is subsiding, so perhaps it is on the mend! I love to get out in our large garden, and am so pleased I did so much work in it before this marathon! I am still in a quandary about PT on Thursday....I would be devestated if it all flared up again!:what:
 
79 newknees, Pt scares a lot of people, and rightfully so if you get a moron to work on you. If you have read enough threads here you know the one thing you need to tell your PT person. “If you hurt me I am outta here and find another. During every exercise at my PT the tech asks me if it hurts. Most answers are no. Occasionally He throws one at me that does, n I stop it immediately. I leave there tired and a touch sore, and I ice when I get home, and as best as I can tell , has not set my recovery back. I am writing this after having done 1.25 hours PT today, left tired , iced and now I feel fine , pain at 1.

If you can’t find the right therapist, go the bonesmart way ,just letting your body recover and heal on its own schedule. As many before us can tell you , they ended up just fine.
 
My PT never hurts me, but you are asked to go on the bike, and I worry that might trigger another bleed!
 
My PT never hurts me, but you are asked to go on the bike, and I worry that might trigger another bleed!
Just explain how you feel and tell them you’d rather not do the bike this time. You know what’s best for you. You’ve also probably been seeing them for a while so they know you and I’m sure they will be understanding.
 
:scare:Well I won't be going to PT...saw OS today, he seems mysterfied as to the recurrent swelling...had blood test to rule out infection, but he doubts there is any. Just rest etc, and if the same this time next week, he may stick a needle in it! :scare:
@2@atime, I hope cyclone Michael does not cross your path....xx
 
Last edited:
Do you mean dry needling when he might stick a needle in it?
 
Oh, I hope there’s nothing going on. :console2: Chances are rest, elevating, and icing will get the job done. I like that your surgeon is not just patting you on the head and saying there’s nothing. It’s best to check and be sure if he’s at all in doubt.

You’ll do your knee no harm — and likely a lot of good — by not going to PT right now.
 
@79newknees agree with @SusieShoes glad to see you have such a great OS that is addressing your concerns. All my best wishes for quick resolution to this recent setback.

I’m in South Florida and I’m only wishing those folks in North Florida (the Panhandle part of the state) our best.

We rode out Hurricane Irma, Cat3, last year and it was not a pleasant experience. We had some damage to trees and shrubs and our concrete mailbox was tipped over by the wind, but luckily the house stood strong. We did lose power for 5 days but my husband had installed a standby generator 10 years ago, so we really weren’t affected by the power loss.

My mother is Cuban (86 years old) and she remembers a big storm when she was a little girl that had a huge storm surge and drowned a lot of people in her hometown of Manzanillo. This has always been my biggest fear with these storms.

The storm heading in now is being predicted to bring 9-14 feet storm surge in from the Gulf Of Mexico. And the last time a Cat4 storm hit this area was back in the 1800s. I hope people there have evacuated as requested by government officials. It’s now considered to late to do so.
 
8 1/2 weeks post op. Well, I am back on track...spent about three days doing nothing, mostly lying down...slowly there was an improvement.....have started knee slides, straight leg lifts etc, but not getting back on the bike yet...SLOWLY increasing activity....today I drove myself into town and paid some bills.....so good to feel independent again.I think I will not go back to PT, as I don't want to feel under pressure....I am not very good at not obeying requests!
I may go back for my final session in a few weeks, as I still have one insurance covered session left.
When the bruise on my thigh has completely resolved, I feel it will have resolved in the bleed knee as well!
 
Congrats on driving into town and getting some needed things done. Your on your way to total healing! You have done great!
 
Well it is the 10week mark, and I must say there has been great progress.....can sit for long periods of time and don't get that swelling feeling in my lower leg. Ankles look normal, and I can walk well, and find it best to take things slowly. Have been out in our sloping garden a lot, and have achieved my goals! Today I am going out socially for the first time with friends, without fear of not being able to get out of my chair! There are long periods of time I don't even give my knees a thought! Which must be a good sign. Re rehab, I do a few heel slides and leg lifts in the morning, and maybe 3 minutes on the bike if I feel like it, and that is all! After the knee bleed, I am careful not to do too much, and it seems to have worked!:flwrysmile:
 
Well it is the 10week mark, and I must say there has been great progress.....can sit for long periods of time and don't get that swelling feeling in my lower leg. Ankles look normal, and I can walk well, and find it best to take things slowly. Have been out in our sloping garden a lot, and have achieved my goals! Today I am going out socially for the first time with friends, without fear of not being able to get out of my chair! There are long periods of time I don't even give my knees a thought! Which must be a good sign. Re rehab, I do a few heel slides and leg lifts in the morning, and maybe 3 minutes on the bike if I feel like it, and that is all! After the knee bleed, I am careful not to do too much, and it seems to have worked!:flwrysmile:
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom