Guest viewing is limited

THR 6 months post-op, still can’t walk unaided without limp'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Krista It's been a while since I checked in so I decided to peek in on you to see where you are at with your surgery plans. I remember early August was your day of all days to finally move to the otherside like the rest of us!:yes!:

I see some complications you have had along the way and I'm so sorry to read of these. The non-sleeping must be unbearable. After your surgery, hopefully slowly, things will start to take care of themselves. You have been through more than any person should have to go through, but I can see, with a smile on your face, you are fighting each battle with grace and dignity! You have been quite the soldier!

Hope the next 25 days moves along quickly for you so you can finally find some peace and rest that you sorely deserve!

Hugs and blessings!
 
@sherrymorss60 and @keepmovin, your supportive comments are so welcome to me! The good news is that in spite of the lack of enough sleep (still sleeping on recliner) and the additional pain, I am having a good time. I am making baby doll pajamas for my 4 American Girl dolls, and they are going to be so cute! Will post a pic when I am done. I wore baby doll pj's as a kid back in the 50's, and loved them. I do all of my sewing by hand, and thus I can sit in my trusty recliner while making pretty things. I've switched from my other crafting, which is beading, because it's too hard to string beads in the recliner. They often spill out of the tray and fall into the cracks and crevices of the chair, gone forever! My sister and I had a DVD party today, too, and watched "It Happened One Night" while eating candy and popcorn! Much more fun than going to the theater where there aren't many movies I'd pay to watch these days, and the snacks there are so expensive.
 
Oh Krista I'm so glad you are having some fun and enjoyment. I would love to see pictures of your sewing. I used to love doing crafts when I was younger but got out of the habit. It might be something I consider once I'm back on my feet with improved health. I know what you mean about going to the movies. Wow everything is so expensive.
 
@Krista Hi! I have been catching up on your story. You have the best attitude! I am so glad you were able to get a surgeon (Two really!) to listen to you and figure out what the problem was.
I hope your surgery goes well and fixes your issues with standing and walking with the limp. Hang in there! Not long now. :)
 
What thoughtful sentiments, @Tweetybrd! A little more than 3 weeks to go. And I slept in my bed last night, instead of the recliner, as back is a little bit better! Had 5 ½ hrs uninterrupted, and finished off with another 1 ½ hrs in the recliner. I want to be in the best possible shape for that surgery.

I see that you are waiting until next January for your THR. Oh, my goodness, that's a long time away. Hope you are coping well and don't have too much pain - fingers crossed.
 
@Krista That is such good news about sleeping in your bed! Yes you need to be all well rested for your surgery. I think that the two surgeon who are doing your surgery are doing such a smart thing doing it together. To make sure nothing else is wrong and fixing what is. I am going to be sending good thoughts out for you. :)

I cant wait for the pics of the doll clothes! My mom made my daughters baby doll clothes. She even knitted a sweater and matching hat. I still have them. :)

I have been looking online at recliners as we are thinking about getting one. Seems like most of them are rockers! Not what I need. Our couch that I sit on now is a love seat that rocks and reclines. It is like two recliners together for my husband and I. I love it but it is not going to work for recovery very well. LOL

January does seem so far out.. But that is what he had as his next available surgery. I am on the cancellation list. I am doing ok. I cant go do much walking. I had a cortisone injection on July 7th but is not working like the others I had previously. I am trying to keep upbeat and distracted. This board has been such a help in learning as much as I can about recovery and everyone is so encouraging.
 
@Tweetybrd, I have an electric lift recliner, no rocker, that lifts you up almost to standing and then picks you up again when you go back into the chair. Check out the La-Z-Boy website and you will see them there. It has been my savior as things have gotten worse with my hip, and now my back. And it will be very useful to me after the next surgery as well.

Hope you can get in earlier from a cancellation. It's worth waiting for a really excellent surgeon! I've had a 4 month wait for mine, and know that the wait will be worth it. I agree that this board is the best, and it has been so valuable to me as I've gone through all the uncertainty.
 
@Krista Thanks! I will look that chair up. I am hoping after I use it to put it in "the grandma" room for my MIL. My mother would not need it when she visits but my MIL is here half the year and she could use it.

I hope I get the call earlier when they have a cancellation, but with a surgery time after Oct 7th. LOL Then I would be ok for it as the three months from this last cortisone shot would be up. :)
 
You know, @Tweetybrd, your mother may not "need" the recliner, but she might enjoy using it nonetheless! And I have discovered that things can change very quickly as we age, and be either temporary or permanent. A recliner is a very nice thing to have in a house. And I am sure your MIL would appreciate it very much. Heck, you may even want or need to use it yourself again someday!
 
I inherited a lift chair/recliner from my Mother, I am very glad we kept it. Medicare will help offset the cost of a lift chair if your Mother has a prescription. Check prices, sometimes you can get a better deal paying for it yourself.
Krista, Your surgery date is coming up fast. Keeping my :fingersx: that it makes a substantial improvement in your life.
 
Thanks, @Pumpkln.

Am in a real mess today. Last night I was taking a shower, sitting in a shower chair, and for some reason, I had an absolutely horrible episode of the involuntary contractions/spasms in the muscles of my lower back that lasted about a half an hour. I was screaming. Husband helped me very slowly to get out of the tub. Every movement must be glacially slow. I think I had my back in a bit of a sway, as opposed to hunching a bit over, and all heck broke loose. Husband helped me to get dry and dressed while I stood, hunched over holding on to my walker, holding on for dear life. At that point, I had to either call 911 to get me to the ER or take one of my leftover Norcos from the surgery last July. That's what I did, and things did calm down enough for me to be able to walk around a bit with the walker and eventually end up in the recliner. I've continued to take the Norcos round the clock, and no more spasms. But any wrong move could bring them on again.

I slept maybe 3 hours in the night, and another hour or two dozing in the chair during the day. Have had some nausea, threw up once after having a very small piece of cheese, so eating normally is out of the question. Eating a few saltine crackers whenever I take the med. Called GP and have a prescription for a muscle relaxant, which hubby will pick up and get filled tonight. Won't take it though, until after I see pre-op Physician's Assistant tomorrow and see what they think is best, considering that I am 3 weeks away. I see a surgeon the next day. I think I really need to be on some sort of strong pain med until my surgery. I am so physically wrecked.

Am unable to do anything at all except for standing up and sitting down and going to and from bathroom/table/recliner. I am using my laptop for the first time since the episode, sitting at the table. Am so scared I'll get the spasming again. Hubby is taking off of work to drive me to the pre-op appointments over the next two days, and it is good he will meet one of the surgeons.

;-(

Oops, just threw up again.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
This is so rough for you. Do you have a TEN's unit? They can help with pain. You can ask at the Dr's office. They are available on Amazon, cash pay, sometimes less expensive than insurance.
Hope the muscle relaxers help, a lot!
 
Just threw up again. @Pumpkln, I don't have a TENS unit. Tried it once during PT back in September, didn't seem to help with pain then. When I am just sitting or standing, or even walking, it doesn't hurt. The pain pill is doing a remarkable job of taking care of my hip and thigh pain, too. It is just when the lower back muscles contract involuntarily and I get those waves of contractions and horrible pain that I am in agony. It's like labor when pregnant, but in my lower back.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I do have some anti-nausea meds, again left over from after THR. I am reluctant to keep adding meds that haven't been prescribed for what I am going through now.
 
Oh Krista I'm so sorry you are going through all of this. I hope the muscle relaxers help you. I'm sending you hugs, good thoughts and most importantly prayers. I'm keeping an eye on here for updates.
 
That's horrible Krista and the throwing up makes it worse:cry: I would be in tears. Thank goodness you have some meds to ease things for you. Take care hope it gets better.:angel:
 
Hubby home in ten minutes with muscle relaxant! I daren't cry, since it might make me hurt more, or send me into spasm. Just sitting here, afraid to move.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom