THR 6 months post-op, still can’t walk unaided without limp'

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am bolstered by all of your supportive comments, you know who you are! All of the posters here know how it is, the difficulties of waiting for an op, and then having wrenches thrown in the works at the last minute.

Saw the back doctor today, with husband and sister along for support and extra pairs of ears. He took x-rays and says there are compression fractures in two vertebrae next to each other, probably caused by osteoporosis/osteopenia. He and his staff were very thorough and efficient, asking lots of questions and listening to me. I was there for 3 hours! He continued my pain and muscle relaxant meds to keep me comfortable and out of spasm. I am being ultra, ultra careful.

They are speeding things up so that I may still be able to have surgery on August 15. I go tomorrow afternoon for another spine MRI, this one with sedation, so that if there is any pain I will be in twilight sleep and won't move. I just hope there won't be any spasm, which would blur the images. I can't imagine lying on my back. With sedation, yes, otherwise, no! Then on Friday I have a consultation with the radiologist who will look at those MRI images for confirmation and to see the details of location. If all is as expected, he will be doing vertebroplasty on those two vertebrae next week. Here is what their website says: "Under mild IV sedation, using local anesthesia, a needle is painlessly advanced into the fractured vertebral body, which is done under fluoroscopic guidance. Next, a small amount of X-ray dye may be injected to confirm the position of the needle. Finally, a quick-setting sterile bone cement is injected, stabilizing the fracture and relieving the pain."

It isn't guaranteed, of course, but it says, "The vertebroplasty procedure can eliminate the need for prolonged bed rest and narcotics after trauma. Patients suffering from persisting debilitating pain often can “get their life back.” The vertebroplasty procedure is highly effective and extremely safe. There’s a less than 1 % incidence of serious complications."

I hope this can be squeezed in next week, which would be before the surgery date of 8/15. And here I thought I'd have a boring two weeks waiting for the surgery. No such luck! I am still sitting up to "sleep". Am beyond exhausted. Will try to catch any minutes here and there that I can. Hope you are all well. I am reading posts, even if I don't have the energy to reply. I think I have lost my keys again, in a narcotic, pain-filled haze. Don't want to say the wrong thing on a post to one of you.
 
Dear Krista,

I hope you get your back issues straightened out. No one mentioned to me that lower back is used more after joint replacement?

I will need to be extra careful as well, lower back pain is why I first went to pain doc. Hip got bad 12 years later.

I will keep you in my prayers. Postponing surgeries is sad and difficult, you poor thing.

I found doing simple stretches really helps the back spasms. ( did them priority THR not after yet )

Like palms on wall, fingers facing up, bend ( 90 % or a bit less ) and press palms against wall while gripping floor with 4 sides of your feet. ( keeps legs aligned so you dont hurt. Spreading toes and planting little toe and big as well as right left of each heel, for stability and alignment prior to bending to put palms on wall.

Press on wall and push butt out. It should feel good!

If hurts or discomfort, stop immediately. All yoga is not good for all bodies.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks for the stretch to help with spasms, @lizzicat! I'll try it. I won't be pushing through pain, never fear!

My compression fractures are because I am old and don't get estrogen any more, hence the softer bones. The back is used so much during so many kinds of moves, that I'm not surprised it is required to do extra work when a person is trying to ambulate with a leg that is compromised, such as with a THR. Mine would probably have eventually fractured with or without my THR, which was a year ago. I hope we can all be extra careful with our backs and be kind to them in all of our movements, especially as we age. So sorry you had trouble at such a young age!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
OH my heck Krista, I can't believe you have TWO compression fractures in your spine! What next? Thank goodness the technology today is simply amazing and to be able to have it repaired without surgery is wonderful. The best news is that you may still be able to move forward with the repairs of the torn muscles! I'm keeping you in my thoughts and prayers my friend!
 
Krista, thanks for making the effort to keep us updated. I am so glad that there is a relatively easy fix for the compression fractures. I sure hope they can get you in next week so that you can proceed with the surgery on the 15th. Keep us posted. And may you get some good hours of sleep in the interim.
 
Krista,
Sorry to hear you have two compression fractures, glad you can have a kyphoplasty. Hopefully you will have relief from you back pain ASAP.
Sending you positive thoughts for you kyphoplasty,
 
Hi @Krista . Sorry you've got two fractures in your vertebra. But thanks for posting the information on vertebroplasty here in Bonesmart. That's very useful :). It's good to know that this form of treatment is available because I know the problems regarding osteoporosis and that it affects predominantly women after their menopause because of lack of oestrogen. Also a lifestyle of staying indoors (which is most of us, because more people have office jobs today than in the past) is unfavourable since you need the ultra violet light from the sun to produce Vitamin D to help with healthy bone growth. That's why I like exercise in the fresh air like cycling, open-water swimming and running. And when I couldn't run because of my bad hip - I walked; even in during early recovery with 2 crutches.
I wish you good luck with the vertebroplasty and that your major operation can still take place on schedule. Best wishes
Constanze
 
@Krista Hey! I just read through what happened at the dr appt. I'm so sorry to hear you have the fractures.:( I am relieved to read that they have a game plan to fix them and that you can hopefully still have your surgery on the 15th. I am praying for you. You seem to have a good attitude even with all that you have been through and with little sleep! Hang in there and please keep us updated. Hugs! :)
 
Sweet Krista I was horrified to read of all the trials you have been through these past weeks! I pray your back issues are soon taken care of and that you can have your THR! Hugs across cyberspace !


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.
 
@Cynthia777, was just getting ready to post. Had the MRI on Wednesday, with sedation. Had more hideous spasms that night at 3am, probably because they had to lie me down flat for the MRI and that aggravated things. Spent yesterday resting and just shuffling around with my walker. Managed a shower last night, the first in days, standing up with hubby helping. Dressed in clothes that I wore to doctor today and wore them to sleep. Slept, as usual, in chair, hunched over table propped up by pillows.

Went early to new doctor today with husband. Looking at the MRI and a physical exam, he says that I have a compression fraction at thoracic vertebra #11. Probably happened two weeks ago. He will be doing a balloon kyphoplasty on it: "two needles are placed into the fractured bone, then balloons are inflated inside compressed verteba prior to cement injection to attempt to restore some lost height." Apparently you feel better, even that same day and within a few days. The doctor thinks that if this is done next week, I could still have the hip surgery on 8/15. He is forwarding his findings and recommendations to my surgeons and I will hear next week. If I have it next week, then my hip surgeons have to decide whether or not to go ahead with the surgery. If it cannot be done next week, then the decision is made for us, that we have to postpone the hip surgery.

So, I just wait, sleep sitting up, being careful. I move all the time like I am defusing a bomb, thinking hard about each and every motion. Between total exhaustion and the opioid and the valium (to prevent muscle spasm), I am pretty loopy. But very happy to have the diagnosis and a procedure that likely will fix it. I can of course, have more compression fractures in future, because of osteoporosis and osteopenia. It is not good for our bodies to not have estrogen, ladies.
 
Boy, oh boy, Krista, you've been through SO much! So, is he just waiting to get an approval to perform the ballon kyphoplasty from your OS and then he'll proceed right away? I pray you won't be worried about another fracture in the future, as you're dealing with so much already. Are there medications you can take to help prevent a future problem?
 
Krista,
Hope the balloon kyphoplasty is behind you soon, most people have quick relief, the cement keeps the bones from moving. Do they have you in a back brace?
:fingersx: the kyphoplasty is scheduled soon!
 
@Cynthia777, I will be having the kyphoplasty soon, no matter what. It is all dependent on how fast the insurance will approve it. Sometimes they try to require you to have PT to get it to heal first. Right, waiting a few months and doing PT will stop my spasms from my crushed vertebra. If the procedure happens too close to August 15th, it may be too close to surgery to be sure that I won't have more spasms during early recovery. I'd rather NOT have that happen.

@Pumpkln, no they don't have me in a brace. I am using a wide velcro attached lumbar support belt at all times. After my surgery I will be wearing a brace because of the gluteus medius repair. I have that brace already. It has a lovely, wide belt that feels so good when it is on. I am looking forward to that quick relief. I am on high alert all the time. When I get to lie down to sleep again, or even just to rest, I'll bet I'll be giving Rip Van Winkle a run for his money as a long-time sleeper!

@jomarie58, thanks for your kind words. Hope you are recovering well from your second THR!

@Tweetybrd, my updates are coming fast and furious these days, aren't they! Love the pic of you and your little one.

@Constanze, the osteoporosis can wreak havoc with our bodies. I'll have to come up with a way to deal with this after this acute stuff dies down. I do plan to exercise more in future.
 
Hope they can get that vertebra fixed and relieve some of your pain!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I am glad they have you in the lumbar support. Does the one for you gluteus medius repair help you back? If so I would call and ask the back doctors if you can wear it?
 
Those bleeping insurance companies! It's tough enough to go through what you're dealing with health wise and then have to deal with an insurance company! I'm comforted in knowing you will be very vocal and will set your insurance company straight should they give you any problems! I'm sure if you have to see a PT first, after one visit they will confirm with your insurance company that PT will not be possible. Please keep us posted if you can. I know it must be difficult to post much right now while on the meds and dealing with all the pain. Sending you my prayers Krista.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom