Hip Arthroscopy 6 months post OP Labral repair

Hi @kkolb327
Hi kkolb, I hope you're doing well.
Please excuse this little derail on your thread as we welcome, donvitio2234
Have a wonderful Spring 2025! :SUNsmile:


Hi @donvito2234
Welcome to BoneSmart and thanks for joining us.
We recently implemented a new membership program and there are new Guidelines for Posting. You are currently a Basic Member, which enables you to search the forums, and read about other recoveries and issues that are similar to yours. However, as a basic member, we cannot offer advice to you. That is only offered to members of the Insiders Club. Hopefully you will choose one of our subscription options allowing you the ability to start a recovery thread and receive personal support, addressing your questions and concerns. BoneSmart is a non-profit organization and the modest subscription fee helps support the ongoing maintenance of the forum ensuring it remains accessible and valuable for the entire community. Please join us! :)
 
Hey guys thanks for the kind words. I met with my doctor who doesn’t believe there is another tear but he thinks the pain is coming from the cartilage damage. He gave me a cortisone injection hoping it settles it down, but if it does not he said the next step is a hip replacement.
 
Fingers crossed it settles for you, but if it doesn't, we're here for support if you need another joint replacement.
Best Wishes! Keep us posted.
@kkolb327
 
@kkolb327 did the find significant cartilage damage during your scopes?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@kkolb327 did the find significant cartilage damage during your scopes?
@donvito2234 during my scope he said he found grade 2 damage. I’ve now had a repair and reconstruction and still have my pre op groin pain. I go see him on Monday but am fully expecting him to schedule me for a replacement. I cannot live like this anymore.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning,
I am so sorry. I understand the prospect of joint replacement can feel overwhelming, but if it becomes necessary, I hope you can take comfort in the fact that joint replacement surgery is one of the most prevalent surgeries performed worldwide. The outcomes of these surgeries have become excellent based on a number of techniques changing over the years. The implants are durable and long lasting, with longevity much greater than before offering an increase in the likelihood you’ll never have to experience this procedure again.

If you do schedule surgery, we'd love to walk alongside you in support, encouraging you along the way. If you'd like personalized advice and answers tailored to your specific questions we hope you will consider joining the Insiders Club. With the membership program you'll gain full access to our Library and a wide range of member only articles that many have found useful during recovery. We are a nonprofit and the small subscription fee helps us keep BoneSmart running and available to all who need it. Please consider it. We'd love to have you join us!

I wish you all the best on Monday and if surgery is recommended, know that it may be the best option for you to return to all that you love, without the pain. Please let us know how it goes.
Wishing you comfort and peace of mind. :console2:
@kkolb327
 
@donvito2234
I will extend the same invitation to you if you're struggling with ongoing issues and would appreciate more personalized support.

If you do end up scheduling surgery, we'd love to walk alongside you also in support, encouraging you on your journey. I believe you will benefit from more personalized advice and answers to your specific questions and hope you will consider joining the Insiders, membership program which will allow you to start your own thread, provide full access to our Library and "member's only" articles that many have found extremely beneficial as they're healing. BoneSmart is a nonprofit and the small fee helps us continue running for all who benefit through this great resource. Please consider joining us. We'd love to have you!

Following you will find a link that explains personal, or direct messaging between members.
With that said, we do encourage keeping most discussions on the public forum when possible, especially when it comes to questions or experiences that could benefit others. That is part of the strength of the community here, the amount we learn from each others posts. However, we do understand that sometimes it's nice to connect one-on-one for a more personal conversation.

I hope you both have a peaceful weekend.
 
I saw the doctor today and he scheduled me for a hip replacement on September 2nd. I have a range of emotions but glad I am potentially looking at some relief even if it is 4 months away.
 
Please consider joining the Insiders Club since you now have surgery scheduled and 4 months until the date. There is much we can do to help you prepare for the surgery and helpful information so you’ll know what to expect both before and after the big day. As a Basic Member you do not have access to the Library articles and posts will primarily come from other members when they happen to come across your thread.
 
A range of emotions is normal. We get it, you're not alone. I'll bet you're kind of excited abut the prospect of getting your life back, I know I was. Naturally some anxiety goes along with it all wondering about how painful it may be, and will you be able to do everything you want afterward. Fear of the unknown is natural. Possibly if you're willing to share your greatest fears, we will be able to offer you some consolation / comfort.

Use this time to clean up your diet, if need be, try to lose any extra weight, if it applies, figure out how you will prepare your home for recovery and make a list of any / all assistive devices you will need. I do believe you'll benefit from the more personalized attention and advice, not to mention the resources that will be available to you as an Insider. I hope you'll join us! Best Wishes!
@kkolb327
 
I had an unsuccessful hip scope for impingement before my first hip replacement. My MRI had shown pretty good preservation of cartilage, so the thought was the scope would resolve the impingement and all would be well. It wasn't, and about 6 months later, I had the THR. It turned out that despite a pretty good MRI, there were spots of cartilage loss on the head of the femur that caused the problem

That was 5.5 years ago and the THR completely solved the problem. I can't even tell that I ever had surgery on that hip. Couldn't be more pleased. So be optimistic that if you have to have a THR, it may well put an end to your issues. Best of luck!
 
Hi kkolb327,
Your long wait is almost over. I'm hoping you're anxious in a good way to get beyond surgery on Tuesday and begin healing. Hopefully you'll share your recovery journey with us. We'd love to support you as you're healing.
Best Wishes!
@kkolb327
 
@kkolb327

Hi kkolb327

I have been missing for a while and have just logged on and saw a message from you in June 2025 asking me how long it was before I pushed for more post op imaging. I am so sorry for my lack of response but I can see that you are scheduled for a hip replacement on 02 Sept (today in Australia) so hopefully I am just in time to offer you support and say CONGRATULATIONS on this HUGE decision and I really think that you have done the right thing. Please do not be discouraged by the recovery journey as it does take a while and there are lots of good days but there are also bad days and at nearly 10 months post op, I still have crappy days but it is worth it.

Good luck.

Morgan.
 
Thank you everyone. I’m on my way to hospital now, very anxious but ready to be done with it. I will update when I can. Thank you again for the info and kind words.
 
Will be thinking of you... Wishing you all the best. Hopefully they'll keep you busy and before you've even had time to think too much you'll be drinking that post surgery cuppa something with a biscuit :flwrysmile:
 
The surgeon said the surgery went extremely well. I had robotic anterior done. I am in an extreme amount of pain but getting through it. Once the surgical pain goes away I think it will be much easier.
 
Congratulations! You are now firmly on the road to recovery. :flwrysmile:

The first few days can be challenging but it should be possible to manage the pain to a comfortable level. Are you taking your medication as prescribed? Could you possibly speak to your medical team and describe your pain? They can maybe help you adjust your medication and get you more comfortable.
 
Congrats on your new hip! I am sorry you're off to a rough start. Do speak with your medical team if you're unable to get comfortable and see if they'll provide you with some ice. It will help with pain and swelling. Best Wishes for an easy recovery. '
@kkolb327
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom