I have been icing a lot. My surgeon gave me pain medicine for a week and will not give any more. I am still in a ton of pain and Tylenol doesn’t touch it
I'm sorry you're still experiencing a lot of discomfort! It's so hard in the early days to find a balance with medication.
You say that your surgeon gave you medication and won't give you anymore? I wonder if you have an opportunity to speak to your general medical care provider? I'm not familiar with your specific situation but I'll use myself as an example. My surgical team issued my initial prescription of painkillers however passed me to my general medical practitioner for any ongoing adjustments or potentially a need for more medication.
Could you return to your point of contact and have another go?
Keep explaining your continued pain and keep asking for their help. That's what I would try. Also ask if there is another support avenue for you in terms of medication that they haven't told you about.
Ice is my go to but I have to use it for at least half an hour with my feet above my nose. Sometimes, a little bit more activity helps. A few steps to help get the fluid moving. Also a few ankle pumps at least 2 minutes. Gentle clench and release of thigh and bottom muscles about 5 gentle times.
I am so sorry you're unable to maintain adequate pain control, especially so early into the healing process. If you're not already, please don't under estimate the power of ice. I wonder if you reach out to your surgeon's care team and describe your level of pain, explaining that's it's a barrier in way of your progression, if your OS may reconsider extending your prescription. Tell them what you're currently using and see if there are some some adjustments that can be made. If your surgeon still won't prescribe, ask what alternatives he suggests so you're able to remain comfortably mobile. Please don't hesitate to reach out to them again, you deserve to feel better, your comfort matters. Keep us posted. @kkolb327
Hey everyone I had my 2 week appointment with my surgeon today. He said everything with my hip looks great from a surgical stand point. The reason I’m having so much pain is because of my prior two scopes and the amount of scar tissue and inflammation in my leg. He said it is completely normal but also very painful. He gave me more pain medicine and is also starting me on a new medicine called Journavx so we will see what happens. He said it’s going to be a very slow recovery for me since I’ve had the 2 surgeries before but I’m glad the hip looks ok. Thanks for all the advice and kind words.
I'm pleased to know that your hip looks great! Sorry that you're looking at a long recovery but the clue is in the word... Recovery. It literally means to get better! I hope the new medication helps and means you are more comfortable as you face your rehabilitation journey. Hopefully a year from now you will be a changed person!
Thanks for the update, kkolb. Getting a nod of reassurance from the OS that all looks as it should is exactly what we want to hear. Good news!
You've been through a lot within a short period of time taking the previous procedures into account. It's understandable you're struggling with pain...and you're only two weeks post op from the THR. It also makes sense you won't follow a typical timeline, so be mindful of the temptation to compare your recovery with that of others, which we remind everyone to avoid doing. I hope the additional medication takes the edge off so you're able to rest comfortably and remain reasonably mobile. Keep us in the loop, we're here for support. @kkolb327
Hi kkolb,
How is recovery going for you? We haven't heard from you in a couple of months. If you have a minute, let us know how you're doing. Wishing you the best!
Happy Three Month Anniversary! @kkolb327
I am sorry for the pain. It's not too late to ice after activity, it may bring some relief. Also, examine your activity level and any PT you're engaging in and see if you may be doing too much, too soon. The average recovery does take a full year and as long as you feel you're making steady improvement, hold out hope for brighter days and stay in touch! @kkolb327
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.