TKR 6-25-15 TKR op date

Status
Not open for further replies.
I slept good until about 3am then up til 5, but got back to sleep until 8:30. And my knee seems to be easier to straighten this morning. I guess PT was a success yesterday :chillpill:
 
So... I can drive! Anyway, got in my car, I can brake, but just went on our dirt rode. I still need the pain meds every 4 hours so not going on the highway yet. How do you know when you can start tapering off the pain meds? I just get really restless and can't get into a comfortable position about 30-45 minutes before my meds are due. Should I be adding some Tylenol in with my hydrocodone 7.5's?
 
I am 4 weeks and 3 days out with a TKR left leg and I drove for the first time just 3 days ago. I drive a GMC Yukon and the problem I have is getting out. I can get in easily using my right leg, but, getting out requires my full weight on the left leg stepping onto the running board. I have to turn myself and shift to the right leg to get down to the ground. I will wait another week before trying again. As everyone is saying, try not to rush your progress. I am much like you as I want to be better quicker, but, this knee has a mind of it's own and it is the boss. I have already pushed it too hard on two occasions and I have paid the price both times. I have spent the past two days and nights on my Polar ice machine. So, if you can, take it easy and be good to your knee. Elevate, rest and ice!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@anna46. Yes I have found out that the knee does have its own time for healing. I am just not patient. Icing and elevating right now
 
You can add Tylenol but you cannot exceed 4 gms per 24 hours. A side effect of over medicating with Tylenol is liver issues. And your Hydrocodone most likely has some Tylenol in it so you have to factor that into the 4 gms daily total. Hydrocodone now in the US comes with 325mg of Tylenol not the 500 mg it use to have. I just figure out how often I am taking the hydrocodone & Tylenol and then fill in up to no more than 4 gms total. I've developed a pattern every day so it makes it a little easier.
 
You can add Tylenol but you cannot exceed 4 gms per 24 hours. A side effect of over medicating with Tylenol is liver issues. And your Hydrocodone most likely has some Tylenol in it so you have to factor that into the 4 gms daily total. Hydrocodone now in the US comes with 325mg of Tylenol not the 500 mg it use to have. I just figure out how often I am taking the hydrocodone & Tylenol and then fill in up to no more than 4 gms total. I've developed a pattern every day so it makes it a little easier.

So I can take approximately 4 500mg Tylenol in a 24 hour period to go with my 7.5/325 hydrocodone. Thank you for your help. :ok:
 
Ok then - as I've just put on my thread - we will do our best to look after our knees and will try hard not to over do it!
 
The best way to taper is to try to stretch out your doses. for example you might go 5 hours instead of 4 and see how you feel. If you feel ok, try that for a couple of days. If all is still good, try 6 hours. If that is uncomfortable, go back to 5 for a while. and so on.

For me I switched from oxycodone to hydrocodone about week 3. But I was taking the hydro every 4 hours to start. Some people can reduce pain meds sooner than others, but it's not a race. Everyone is different and it's not uncommon to take at least some pain meds for a couple of months.
 
@kneeper. Thanks for the advice. I will start trying to taper. If I just can not over do it, I think pain would be better.

Another question.. .... How does everyone feel about Ted hose? I am supposed to wear for 6 weeks but theyseriously bother me so have been wearing exercise leggings instead.
 
Ok then - as I've just put on my thread - we will do our best to look after our knees and will try hard not to over do it!

Yes! Let's work on that together. I am taking it easy today. No chores, napping and I don't think any company is stopping by.:snork:
 
You can ask your doc about the teds. I was allowed to take them off part of the time and only had to wear them until the staples came out.
 
Another question.. .... How does everyone feel about Ted hose? I am supposed to wear for 6 weeks but theyseriously bother me so have been wearing exercise leggings instead.

My instructions said six weeks but my OS told me I could stop wearing them at four weeks. The exercise leggings probably don't have the necessary compression the stockings do.

If they bother you that much, maybe you should call the doctor's office and see what they say?
 
I took off my TEDS the minute I got home even tho my OS wanted them on for 2 weeks during the day. And I did that for my other 2 surgeries also. Now I'm not saying you should, but that's what I did. I also did heel pumps religiously (like every hour) when I was sitting, icing, & elevating. And made sure I walked around a lot. They drove me batty with the hole in the foot that always migrated to catch my toes. Ugh!
 
@dtmbf and @tigz. I did ask the PA about using tight leggings and she said that probably would be fine but of course wouldn't commit. I also do lots of calf pumps and walk around a lot, I have issues with sitting still, lol.
 
@kneeper I have the staples out and have done well with good healing..... I think they have to tell you to keep them on for 6 weeks to cover everything that might come up including blood clots. I did read somewhere here that tight leggings my be an alternative, just don't know where I saw it!
 
@kneeper. How does everyone feel about Ted hose? I am supposed to wear for 6 weeks but theyseriously bother me so have been wearing exercise leggings instead.

Mine are knee high, are yours? I was told to wear them for 6 weeks. In Rehab, I only wore them during the day (2 weeks). At week three, I cut off the feet. At week 4, I was in the OS office (for a L knee discussion) and he said I could stop wearing them. I left them in the exam room trash.





RTKA 8 June 2015
 
I had to wear thigh-high TED's for three weeks after each knee. They didn't really bother me too much. I was told not to wear them at night, just during the day. Since I was home and walking the day of surgery, I wonder if I really needed them. It's not like I was just laying around. But, I've always been a "good girl" and rule follower, so just wore them for the three weeks.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Mine are thigh high and I was told to where them at all times except when showering for 6 weeks. Seems obsessive as I move around a lot and take my aspirin as blood thinner twice a day.
 
I have knee highs with the attractive hole where my toes poke out. 6 weeks, day and night apart from showering. I was on blood thinning injections but only for the first 10 days.
 
Well I am off to PT this morning. Wish me luck. The knee feels Much better during the day but still, at night, aches and gets stiff. I guess that will get better with time too. Happy Monday everyone
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom