MUA 5 weeks Post op TKR

mxmotomom381

Country
United States United States
I am starting a new PT tomorrow as the one I have gone to for the past 12 sessions hasn't gotten me too far and I wasn't as all satisfied with seeing someone different each time I went. I am using a walker and my scar is looking amazing and swelling is about gone. My issue is every morning I get up is awful. It feels like I am back at day 1. My stiffness and lack of motion is making me wish I would have never had this done! I'm stuck at around 85-90 degrees. I HATE sitting around doing nothing. Although, I am icing and elevating frequently as they had requested. I'm just ready to see some definite improvements! I saw my doctor 3 days ago and he said the xrays showed perfect placement of everything but that I had excessive scar tissue. This is my first and only surgery to my knee. And it was done Robotically! UGH! I need to some encouraging words!!!!! I feel like I'm doing everything I am supposed to and not making any progress!!

Welcome! When was your surgery? Many of us thought we’d be running a marathon after a few weeks but discovered the recovery and rehabilitation is a yearlong (or more) journey filled with ups and downs. I remember feeling so discouraged when I took a baby step forward then, by thinking I could do more, joined my fellow BoneSmart friends on the ODIC bench. Patience is the most important muscle to exercise on this journey.

@mxmotomom381, welcome to Bonesmart. It sounds like you are just beginning your recovery journey which will take at least a year to complete. Please give us your surgery date and which knee it was. I will add that information to your signature for you and add you to the correct monthly team.

Each person is different as is their recovery. Most find that the Bonesmart approach works best for them, but others find that a more aggressive therapy helps them more. It's your recovery and your choice on how you recover. As you read more on other members' recovery threads, you’ll get a better perspective of what to expect. The following are our basic guidelines and should help get you started.

If you want to use something to assist with healing and scar management, BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.

KNEE RECOVERY GUIDELINES

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
the BoneSmart view on exercise
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for TKRs

6. Access these pages on the website
Oral And Intravenous Pain Medications
Wound Care In Hospital

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here

Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Try out our great new opportunity to improve your gait. It's OneStep. It's free and you will find it to be a huge help to you. Click here: OneStep

My issue is every morning I get up is awful. It feels like I am back at day 1. My stiffness and lack of motion is making me wish I would have never had this done! I'm stuck at around 85-90 degrees. I HATE sitting around doing nothing. Although, I am icing and elevating frequently as they had requested. I'm just ready to see some definite improvements!
This is all very normal for 5 weeks post op in a recovery that takes an average of 52 weeks (one year) Try to keep in mind that this recovery is temporary.

Hello and :welome: BoneSmart! Thanks for joining us.
Your feelings are common and you will improve. This process definitely takes patience. Each recovery is unique and your body is healing at it's own pace. There will be ups and downs as you grow stronger and steadier on your feet. Here's a good diagram depicting the reality of recovery. Hang in there, it will get better!

rps20171117_054543-jpg.71434

@mxmotomom381

My surgery was on my right knee on May 23, 2023

I'm stuck at around 85-90 degrees.
That's actually fine for just 5 weeks post-op! In fact, most surgeons look for patients to get to 90 degrees by the 6-week mark, so you are ahead of schedule!

This can be a frustratingly slow recovery, but you will get there. It just takes time.

:flwrysmile:

@mxmotomom381 hi there, I was actually quite encouraged to read your post as like you when I get up in the morning the pain and aches are terrible and just like you I feel like I’ve gone back. I am also 5 weeks post surgery and do still use a walking stick, I have refrained from harsh physio appointments and have taken the Bonesmart approach and have taken it slow and steady, my knee is still swollen and I am still icing and elevating, I start my physio sessions next week when I am 6 weeks post surgery so I am hoping this will help move things on a bit as I am still walking with a stiff leg. It has taken me longer than I thought to get over this operation which is why it’s good to hear from others the struggles that everyone is going through.

@mxmotomom381 and @Metal-Knee, we’re almost triplets. My 2nd revision on my R knee was 24 May so I completely understand what y’all are saying. Everyone’s journey is different and doesn’t go as you expected.

Good luck with your recoveries and let us know if you have any questions or just need to vent, rant, or kvetch.

I’m starting Dry Needling this coming week because my PT said she feels it will do wonders for my stiffness and joint mobility. I will post my outcome after a few sessions of it.

@mxmotomom381 Please do post your experience with dry needling. Like you, I'm quite swollen and am doing acupuncture to relieve the swelling. It has gone very well but now I need to find something to help my ROM which is currently 45. Argh! I pushed my knee to the threshold of pain and it is paying me back with stiffness and swelling. No aggressive therapy for me and definitely no MUA. Sending some patience your way.

@mxmotomom381 i wasn’t sure what was dry needling was so I googled it and found that it is similar to acupuncture, so as I said am seeing my physio for the first time on Monday that might be an option that they recommend, but let’s see what they can do for me first, I just so want to be feeling ok again, we are due to go on a cruise in September so am hoping that I am a lot better by then.

Hi! I'm in very early recovery from my new RTKA, but my other one was Jan. 31 this year so am now 5 months post op on L. Everyone has a different timeline.... but it gets better!!
I was in despair about the first-thing-in-the-morning stiffness and painful weight-bearing at 8 weeks and still was at 12 weeks (still needing hands-on support to get out of bed after a night sleeping even though 100% off walking stick)... then suddenly... it got better. So be kind with youself and hang in there!
(I wish I'd found Bonesmart back in January!)

Hugs and prayers for all going through this recovery!!! I have faith it will get better I am just not a very good patient! I love being independent and it’s brutal having to sit and relax when I’m a huge “do’er” and “go’er” All this idle time is killing me!!! Lol!!! Best of luck to all and I know we will all look back on this and laugh!!

Hello and :welome: BoneSmart! Thanks for joining us.
Your feelings are common and you will improve. This process definitely takes patience. Each recovery is unique and your body is healing at it's own pace. There will be ups and downs as you grow stronger and steadier on your feet. Here's a good diagram depicting the reality of recovery. Hang in there, it will get better!

rps20171117_054543-jpg.71434

@mxmotomom381
So true!

@mendogal and @mxmotomom381 i too am getting very frustrated with regards to not be able to do the things I used to be able to do, I’m not even driving yet so have to rely on my husband to go shopping, whereas I would just jump in the car and off I would go, to visit my daughter or go shopping, I was also doing keep fit and yoga, haven’t done this for months. I was hardly ever at home but now all I do is sit or walk around at home or in the garden, roll on when I’ve got my old life back.

Hang in there! It’s a physical and emotional rollercoaster ride for sure. It certainly has been for me anyway. I hope that things get better for you very soon!

Update—so new PT is awesome! Her upbeat personality definitely is encouraging and her knowledge of this journey is remarkable! I’m going to call my doctor again tomorrow because as of today, his assistant vetoed the “dry needling” due to possibly infection it could cause! I was told STRICTLY—— Nothing that enter my blood for 6 months!!! This includes anything from dental care, tattoos, or anything at all to do with needles!!!

So glad to read that you like your new PT, @mxmotomom381. My surgical team also vetoed anything that involved needles -- in my case it was for 3 months -- because of the possibility of infection. I followed that instruction because I didn't want to risk it.

Would just be nice to sleep comfortably at night without being woke up with gnawing, throbbing feelings every night. I get up and walk around then ice it then try and sleep again. Seems to be a viscous cycle! Ugh!!! Hoping it will start getting better in a few weeks because from what I’ve been told, around the 12 week mark ( I will be 6 weeks Tuesday) things start to settle down. Fingers crossed!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Exocoetidae
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom