MUA 5 week failure<

Tomorrow is 13 wks and with no significant improvement since October 27th ( last time I saw OS before today) I feel like it’s the only way to progress. I am stuck
Thanks @Vangheluwec & @Runnergirl for the input it helps to hear how others did with their decisions. Lots to ponder huh @funkymuse

Last edited:
@Robinmhs88 My doctor didn't ask for my ROM. I told him the last I knew was 114. He was impressed with my bend and extension. Maybe he can tell without actual measurements? I hope that if you do MUA , it goes well. You've suffered enough. The mental anguish is the worst and I told my doctor that! -- just in case he didn't know what we go thru mentally. He said it was fine to use my Hitachi massager on my quad and that it would help the stretch. We'll be praying for you.

Surgeons see so many TKRs that they don't need to measure. They can eyeball it. Mine just eyeballed mine and the numbers he came up with were spot on with what the PT had told me a few days before. Find out what your surgeon thinks aand decide what to do after talking about it. He might not think a MUA necessary. But if he does, and if you do opt for a MUA, know we're all pulling for you!

Should I have a nerve block during my MUA? The doctor mentioned it but I don’t know if I want it. Took forever for nerves to relax after having one with surgery :) thoughts???

Last edited:
@Robinmhs88 All I know to do is pray for you and for your doctor. You have been thru so much. I'll be curious to see Josephine's opinion. God Bless You, dear girl.

So frustrating... I make the decision to do this MUA on Tuesday and still have people saying “well it won’t do any good if you don’t bend that knee” :hissy:
Really wow

I’m so sorry people are saying that. :console2:

I was frustrated with some of my best friends, because they are of the belief that exercises and PT are the only way to recover. Of course, they’ve never had a knee replaced.

My other source of frustration was from those who have had a knee replaced and were also convinced that exercises and PT were the only way to recover. They were so surprised that it was taking me so long to recover. It made me so angry! No room for individual recoveries.

So I stopped socializing and stayed home a lot, which had its own frustrations as well as depression.

I still have a ways to go but with certain people I try to just say things are good. That’s what they want to hear.

And then I do have some friends and family members who are very considerate and supportive. I’ve explained to them the Bonesmart approach as compared to the exercises/PT approach and they agree that Bonesmart makes so much more sense. They are the ones I can be honest with about how I’m feeling physically.

I hope you turn a corner soon. :console2:

Oh @Robinmhs88 sorry to hear this. I am experiencing the same. I have family members constantly telling me I need to try harder. I have a close relation who had TKR with no problems and thinks I'm making a fuss.

However, I also have some fantastic friends who are supportive and encouraging which really helps

We are all here for you

People all seem to have their opinions and thoughts that I don't know if they realize are very unkind. Sorry you are in the position where you have to experience this. Just an awful thing not to have decent support emotionally. What time is your MUA on Tues? Has the doc give you any instructions on what you are to do afterwards? Will you be there overnight? Has your job said anything more? It seems so soon for you to have to go back after the MUA. From all I've read you have to keep it moving but not to the point of pain. Gosh what a journey this all is. I am trying to find out what the best date for me is. So far next week won't work so I'm waiting to hear.

I go in on Tuesday at 9:30 am. My work seems understanding as they want me better...they didn’t hire me broken :) They know I may be out the rest of the week but I am hopeful. I have talked with a couple of people and kinda getting an idea of what to expect. Everyone’s different is the popular phrase- you know what we have been hearing during this recovering :)
I will definetly be on here Tuesday when I wake up and give an update :)

Best wishes for Tuesday, Robin.

Don't forget to ask your surgeon what degree of bend he/she achieved during the MUA. A photo would be nice, so you have some proof that your knee will bend.

If you did have adhesions, you will be sore in the places where they were broken. Be prepared for that.
Don't get rushed into a heavy schedule of PT, because that will irritate your knee and could cause more adhesions. All you need to do is treat your knee gently and keep it moving gently. It will be newly-wounded, so give it lots of TLC.

I'm looking forward to hear about your successful MUA Tuesday morning! As Celle said, only gentle movements until the newly traumatized knee's swelling and pain goes away! You don't want to mess up what the MUA does!

You're on your way my friend.. hopefully to more bend and the beginning of the home stretch finally. Been praying all night for you. Please check in when you can and let us all know how you are. Huge hug...
:praying:

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers
Getting ready to go... sigh
Here’s hoping :)
I will let you know

@Robinmhs88 Wishing you all the best. Would be very cool if they did take a pic of your knee bending. You having it done at NorthWest?

Sherrie

Good luck. Let us know how you are doing and how much bend they get.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Elf1
    Staff member since October 2019
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Vee jitsu
Recent bookmarks