Guest viewing is limited

4 Wks post cementless Left THR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello freda here from France I was operated on the 19/04/2011 with the method MIS cementless, I was given no restrictions at all, had it done the tuesday evening and was up and about midday the wednesday, to begin with crutchless then the PT said to use one, I did this for around 10 days though limping around the house which the PT said was a good thing and I should get rid of the crutch all together which I did and did walk badly to begin with, I started back at work the 30/04/11 and feel great, still a slight limp when tired which easily happens and the leg does throb slightly at times, I wonder why the advice is so different? freda
 
Isn't this Forum just the best!!!:ThankYou:to everyone for everything!
No news on the job:sigh: but as each day passes instead of constant obsession about whether they have tried to phone me I am now looking for the thin "rejection letter" envelope on the doormat! But still never mind...as you all said, the experience and the milestone mean a great deal to me.

Here's my update for 12 and half weeks .

I'm just back from my first post-op Physio appt! And it was so very very helpful! Far more helpful and beneficial than I had anticipated because it is so far down the line.

She reminded me, that I have only been walking for a week:DOH:. In my head I hadn't made the distinction between gradually increasing weight bearing on crutches to actual walking unaided. And she said I'm doing really great for one week!:yay: (In my head I thought I HAD been walking for 5 weeks!)

She explained and showed me just how far I still have to go to get the muscles properly strengthened on the left side. Quite an eye opener actually...I was so unconfident to try and was still so wobbly when she asked me to try to stand just on my operated leg!!

I asked about swimming and she said not just yet...in a couple of weeks she will send me to the Hydrotherapy pool for some safe instructions of what I will be able to do in the pool.

Above all else, she said, you are in charge of this hip, you still have a good 3 months to go before all the muscles will be getting to be right and I have to advocate for myself at work and really let people know that I am still only part way through this recovery. Which was very empowering and reassuring.

She said to remember that I am not a standard case and shouldn't compare myself to others progress or treatment. She told me to go slowly and definitely at least until I go back to the Surgeon for the review in August.

It was also that she said, your muscles etc are so weak from all the years before, where everything was wrong..not simply because of the 7 weeks nwb which was also very helpful to remember and understand.

She advised I could use a cane, but really only as a last resort, keep it in my bag and only use if I get stuck somewhere and can't walk back. But not to ever use it for proper relief of weight bearing, only to keep me from dipping down on the left side when tired from walking. So I'm off to buy myself a pretty, folding "lady cane"!

(Oh, I must tell you, she told me about a man who went up in his loft at 6 weeks and dislocated while he was crouching up in the loft!!! Can you imagine that????!!!!!!!!!!)

So, I have now been driving for three days, which is absolutely fabulous! But still taking walks each day.

Saw GP yesterday and he gave me a certificate to go back to work tomorrow as planned with a phased return. After seeing the Physio I am going to make absolute certain that they understand that I still cannot push myself and tiredness etc will feature a great deal.

I'm a little apprehensive about going back to work tomorrow, 12 weeks away is a long time, but no doubt all will be well and I'll soon feel as if I was never away.

A huge heartfelt thanks again to everyone and for this forum where I have been able to record my journey.

Wishing everyone all the very best :thumb:
 
LDT - sounds like your PT is really on the ball! Where have I heard don't compare your recovery to others before :snork:!

All the best on your return to work. I think you have the right idea - it will be hard at first. Very natural to have an issue with stamina at first. Just pace yourself and push back if too much is asked.

Please let us know how you get on and do check in once in awhile!
 
- She explained and showed me just how far I still have to go to get the muscles properly strengthened on the left side.
- She said to remember that I am not a standard case and shouldn't compare myself to others progress or treatment.
- It was also that she said, your muscles etc are so weak from all the years before, where everything was wrong

:scratch: Hmm - wonder where I heard all that before? :th_heehee:

But seriously, good going and good luck on your return to work. Remember, light duties for the first week.
 
FEELING " Soooooooooo...NORMAL"!!!!:yes 4::yay::yahoo::yahoo:

Just had to report that I am so very very happy to be feeling within an inch of getting back to normality with so many signs that I'm so much better than pre-op "normal"!

Driving is absolutely fine....1st day back at work was a breeze and they made me feel "missed" and are pleased that I'm back.....doing household chores including sorting out cupboards and garage junk etc with my husband and just ... well.... just getting on with it without having to stop and think about every little movement.

I'm not overdoing it but just in that lovely wonderful state of constantly amazed of finding that when I try to do something... I can do it!! And not suffering pain as a result....and of actually now being where I have dreamed of being these past few months...:hapydancsmil::hapydancsmil::hapydancsmil:

I am totally and utterly over the moon!!!
 
Lovely that you are seeing the real benefit of this op! Well done!
 
Hi LDT, congratulations on your long recovery and accomplishments. I am very happy for you, and how your health has turned around. Good luck and all the best for your shiny new hardware:thumb:
 
LDT......I absolutely adore your therapist!!! She must have received some BoneSmartie genes in there somewhere.

You are doing great and you're in good hands to continue down the road to recovery. Go get 'em!!!
 
Fantastic to read how good you are feeling LDT!
:yes 4::dancy::yay:
 
Hiii to everyone and thanks so much for the lovely messages.

You'll never guess what........:th_heehee::dancy:

I got a call back for a second Interview and Test for the Dream Job!!!!! It's on Thursday at 12.00.

Very excited :dancy:.

It's a mixed situation though because, yesterday I also got offered a permanent post in my current job!!! (I was on a Fixed term Contract, ending in July.)

So, if I fluff the interview on Thursday, no-one needs to know in my current workplace, but IF I get the Dream Job......I would really want it.....(more money and becoming a big fish in a small pond as opposed to the opposite with current employer and it's 7 minutes away by car from home!!!)

But my current employer has been so very good with me through the surgery and recovery. They even delayed running the interviews for converting the job to a permanent post until I was back at work.:blush:

What a dilemma! A great and extremely lucky dilemma in this current climate.....and I'm not counting any chickens at all....

Will be constantly debating in my head whether to not go to the second interview and just tell them that I've got the other job. So that the dilemma would not materialise.......:scratch::what:

Nothing at all to report hip or recovery wise....It's just all going simply fantastic!:biggrin::yay:
 
Well done you! Please let us know how it goes. Fingers crossed!
 
Sounds like a great dilemma to have. :thumb:
Well done LDT!
 
Don't be afraid to do what is best for YOU as you make your decision. The business world understands when you are making a business decision and not a personal one. If you do choose to leave the company that was so gracious to you, maybe you could plan a nice lunch or something else to thank those who helped you. Also a personal, hand-written letter of thanks with the reassurance that you made the decision for purely business reasons is a good way not to burn a bridge.
 
Hi everyone!

I'll try to keep it brief, (I did go on a bit in my posts when at home all day didn't I?!!:biggrin:

Second week back at work full time. And all's well! They are still being very good to me and I'm doing my bit in return.

Really enjoying the work and being back in the swing of things again.
All i get is tired, but even that is not a horrible tired, it's a satisfying tiredness. And still each day my muscles are stronger and stronger. When my gait takes a bit of a hit when I'm tired I just remind myself to slow down, and go back to the mantra... heel toe! and that gets me back to walking good again. No pain or discomfort whatsoever .. never at any time!! Zilch!!

As for the dream job, went for the 2nd interview and realised a lot more about the job...a couple of years ago I would have bitten their hand off, but by the end of the discussion, I was able to say.. it's not going to be what I thought and it's not right for me right now. So I left feeling extremely positive about deciding to stay in my current job and so far seems like I made the right decision.

One question for everyone... I'm just about 4months ( unbeleiveable!!!!) post op now.....how soon did everyone ditch the pillow between the legs in bed when lying on the non operated side.....I'm starting to feel like it's become more of a security blanket comforter thing, and I'd like to wean my self off it!! At 4 months out, I must be a lot more stable and secure?

Anyway wishing everyone all the best.
:thumb:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom