Guest viewing is limited

4 Wks post cementless Left THR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Almost 11 weeks now.

I've hit a very strange stage.:sigh:
I'm now on one crutch , one more week of this advised by the surgeon, but each day I'm walking uaided more and more around the house. ( I worry a bit that I shouldn't be trying the unaided walking but it does feel fine and safe)

No pain or strains, just muscles at the top of my leg feeling "tight" or "solid". But I know that I'm getting more and more flexible every day now.

I think though that I am completely stir crazy now. There is so much more that I could do now and want to do ,but I can't seem to stick to anything. Low concentration threshold, Nothing seems to be worth the effort.:frown: ... I think because I'm still not 100% fully independently mobile. Still not driving yet...

I've been home alone during the daytimes for so many weeks now.

I know that I have come such along way and it is brillliant, but feel that my mood is slipping and it's hard at the moment to keep upbeat and believing that in a few short weeks I will be right as rain....and won't look back.
 
All I can say you have the patience of a Saint. You are doing well but really appreciate what you are saying about how you're feeling and wanting to do more.

I think that if you can walk unaided at home and you feel fine then do it.

I just went on one crutch and I'm nearly 8 weeks. I haven't read all your thread but believe you had hip dysplasia and osteotomies in the past. That's why it takes that bit longer. I also have a similar history and it was only when I saw my Physio ( privately) that he was able to explain to me why my progress was slower then others but that I was doing well!

It's only when someone knows where you've come from and then can explain to you why your recovery is that way you can then appreciate it ( well a little bit more :th_heehee:)

As long as you are progressing then you are doing fine. It is hard as I have also been through periods of not feeling 'great'.

You are and will get there soon.
Good luck!!
 
Thank you so much Jyoti...the encouragement helps a great deal.
 
LDT - it's all part of recovery I am afraid. Your body is telling you to limit things but your mind is starting to clear and is racing ahead. Time for your favourite DVDs or a great book or perhaps some very short walks outside.

What I did at that stage was set a goal for the day. First I started walking by myself to the end of the drive. It was a very short walk but the fresh air and feeling of gaining my independence kept me going. The next day the walk was a bit longer or maybe around the garden. A bit of home PT and then some time on BoneSmart doing exactly what you are doing - talking about cabin fever!

The good news is you are healing and starting to think about doing more. Just keep things under control and remember this is only temporary!

PS - in a few weeks you will be better - certainly not right as rain. Still early days!
 
Oh, LetsDoThis, I really empathize with you. It was about the same time after my THR that I really started going stir crazy, got sick of being home alone all day long, day after day, wanted to do more but couldn't concentrate on anything! I'd hit a plateau in terms of exercise and walking and was sick of it all! Fortunately, this phase passed after a few weeks. I'm sure it will for you, too, but it's a royal pain while you're going through it! What helped me a little was to allow myself to read novels or watch movies whenever I wanted and for as long as I wanted. Pure escape, but it helped.

Best wishes -- you'll feel better shortly, I'm sure.

Joan
 
Thank You so much Joan. To have someone reflect back exactly how it feels at the moment trhough having been in the same place is so reassuring. It is just exactly as all you have said, have hit a plateau!


My plan for today is to find my box set of the Tudors and watch them end to end!!

All the best Joan and thank you again.:thumb:
.
 
Almost 11 weeks now.

I know that I have come such along way and it is brillliant, but feel that my mood is slipping and it's hard at the moment to keep upbeat and believing that in a few short weeks I will be right as rain....and won't look back.

You HAVE come a long way, and the rest of the way is a process. Good days, bad days, blah days. Oh those pesky moody days! But they are just days. Remember that our days too quickly become weeks and months and years. Take advantage of this down time to totally pamper yourself in the ways we never do when we are healthy and busy and living our frantic lives.

I totally hear you on the low concentration. I frequently find myself flitting from one activity to another. Play sudoku for five minutes, go to the bathroom, read one article in a magazine, knit two rows, get up to turn the heat down, read two pages in a book, play a round of scrabble online, get up to turn the heat back up, take a short nap, fix a snack, get the mail, decide to clean out the file cabinet....get halfway through one file....go back to Sudoku. Honestly, I did whole days just like that. I think it's really really normal. At least I hope so!

Anyway, the right as rain days are coming. (Why do we say that? Rainy days are my worst days!!) Looking forward to hearing you describe your excursions out of the house, free of all walking aids.

Sharon
 
Well hello to everyone!:biggrin:

I hardly recognise myself today as the same person who was so "stuck" last week!

I am feeling fantastic!!!:yahoo::yahoo:

The walking unaided is going so very well around the house and in the garden. Not using a crutch at all.:yay:. :biggrin: (Which after being appended to crutches for over 11 weeks is really something for me!!!)

Last night on my walk around the block I managed half way round not using the crutch. And I'm getting to know my neighbours quite well. They've spotted me out on my jaunts and have stopped to ask what I'm doing! And I get loads of encouragement when they see me progressing!

My husband was saying last night, that the surgeon said give it a good year and we realised that I've already done a quarter of that year.

With the beauty being that from now on it is only going to be better and better. If I hadnt had it done , we would be saying, this "time next year I'll be alot worse". But it is all now behind me. WOW! :biggrin: and I'm coming through it and the worst is over!!

I am still not sure and it's academic now anyway, but If I had truly known in advance what it was going to be like before agreeing to the surgery, I'm not 100% certain that I wouldnt have said, "I'll put it off until I really can't take any more" ( sorry there are so many double negatives in that sentence, but I know what I mean!!:th_heehee:)

But like I say, that's all academic because it is done and it is amazing.

What I do love is, doing more each day and sometimes feeling tired and I know when to stop. In the past that would have meant, I've overdone it and I would be suffering the next 2-3 days with proper bone pain.
But now when I feel I've done too much, I wake up the next day and my hip and leg just feels stronger!!!! No pain and no sense of having to take it easy for the next 2 or 3 days. I just get up and get on with the day and do things and revel in the fact that I can do so many things now!!

And of course, I go back to work next Thursday!! OH DEAR!!! and it was all going so well!:sigh::what::umm::thud::frown: :th_heehee:

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement last week. It truly truly helped.

All the best to everyone for continued progress :thumb:
 
Hi, LetsDoThis,
I've just read your whole thread with interest as I had a cementless THR on 18th April and was told no weight bearing for 6 weeks.
I've done 6 weeks post-op now and my follow-up appointment is next tuesday and I'm so tempted to try the weight bearing (but know deep down that I need to wait for the sugeon's ok..)

Like you, I have had many times when I envied those with cemented implants for the ability to fully weight bear almost straight away.
Crutches are so limiting, aren't they?
But like you I need to stick it out - especially after reading your thread and seeing how well you are doing because you followed the NWB advice.

Your thread is very upbeat and positive - and even your 'less than happy' times I think we all can relate to.

All the very best of luck with your return to work next Thursday. :thumb:
And don't overdo it!
 
Hello Suzie

I'm so very happy that my experience has helped you and given you some support and reassurance.

But most importantly WELL DONE YOU! :thumb::thumb:for maintaining the NWB.

So many people tell me, that they really don't think they could or would have stuck with it. And it's a great credit to you that you didn't give in to temptation!!

The crutches are nothing less than extremely limiting!!! (and the palms and wrists really take a toll also dont they?)

But I promise you, you will look back on the 6 weeks or so through some hazy (not rose tinted perhaps!) memory and feel very proud of how you coped with it.
And as everyone says, all these stages are just temporary and just a blip in the grand scheme of things...( and sometimes that was hard for me to believe and accept at the time, because I just wanted to be off the bloomin' crutches!)....but it is true!! And so for you, just a little longer, the next major milestone is so close for you!

I will be thinking of you next Tuesday and will know how you feel when the surgeon says, "yep ok...start walking!" :yahoo::yay::yahoo:

All the very best to you.:cheers_wine:
 
Great report, LetsDoThis.....I'm glad you're starting to like that new hip!!!
 
Hi Letsdothis,

How weird, ive just been reading your previous posts as they are such a great help in giving me an indication on what you were acheiving and how you were feeling each week.So when ive seen your recent post i just wanted to say thankyou they have been a great help.
So glad you feel you have finally turned the corner with your recovery its positive posts like yours that have been a god send to me on bonesmart :ThankYou:
 
Wow, LetsDoThis, what a fantastic report! You sound so happy and free!! You've been through a hellish time, but you persisted and followed instructions, and now look at you!! What an inspiration!

I understand your thinking that had you known about all the trouble, you might not have gone ahead with the surgery when you did. I was in that stage for a while after my revision surgery. But then I was reminded that the longer I would have waited, the worse the damage to the joint -- and my whole body -- would have been, so my recovery might have been even more difficult. I'm glad I had the surgery when I did -- even with the complications -- because I'm so much farther ahead now than I was a year ago.

Congratulations on your great progress -- you deserve it!

Joan
 
Good evening everyone.

Guess what I did today for my first formal outing "walking unaided".???.....:what::yahoo:

I went for a Job Interview!!!!!:biggrin::biggrin:


A crazy, crazy turn of events that happened very quickly and would take far too long to explain.... but I did it!!!

My sister had to drive me there and pick me up,..... I debated long and hard whether I should take my crutch, just in case or just go for it without the crutch....I chose the latter.

When the Personnel lady met me she noticed "something" and asked if I was ok and I just beamed all over my face and said " Well actually I had a hip replacement a couple of months ago"... she just said, " Blimey you are doing really well then!"

And it was all so absolutely fine!! Just ask me how "normal" did I feel in that interview room???:biggrin:

Sometimes fate intervenes doesn't it? The interview could very well have been last week and I would have been in a right state, as you know, and I would have not been in the right place in my head at all to attend the interview.

It really went well overall, but as with all interviews I can only remember the parts where I thought "ooops that wasnt so good!!"

But above all, I am so proud of myself,.... if this isn't evidence that I AM getting through this and "normal service will shortly be resumed" then I don't know what is!!!

...A dream of a job, ....far too much to hope that I will get it, but I know I did the best I could and if on the day there was someone better then so be it! But I will bet that the other candidates didn't do it on the back of what I've just been through!!!

Even if I don't get the job...this will be another defining moment for me in this journey! WOW!!:biggrin:....nothing to stop me now!! I was never one for taking the easy route before the op and am just so chuffed that nothing has changed post op!!!:happy dance::happy dance::happy dance:

Have a great weekend everyone :thumb::cheers_wine::cheers_wine:
 
Great report LDT! I hope you get the job too - but even if you don't - what great progress. Keep us updated won't you?
 
I wish you the very best of luck with getting the job LetsDoThis.
And it's great (and very encouraging) to hear how confident you feel now!
 
Congratulations, LDT!! You sound so positive and "alive"! I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get the job, but even if you don't, you'll get the next one, or the next one -- you've got that confidence!

Joan
 
What a great report!

Hope you get the job, but even if you don't, a major milestone reached in you road to recovery

Well done.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom