THR 4 months groin pain

That might be where you're at today, but there's tomorrow and a lot more of them and it will keep getting better. Most go into this not knowing what the recovery is going to be which really gets people down after a couple of months. It's a major surgery and takes quite a while to fully recover from the trauma that your body went through.
 
@ericson1998 sorry that you're not recovering as you wish you were, it can be really frustrating.

You mentioned that you were limping in a previous post, are you still limping now? If so, are you using an assistive device, ie walker, cane or crutch? You should use an assistive device until the limp goes completely away. And, if it comes back use it for a while more. We all want to hurry and get back to our lives but sometimes that impatience causes us setbacks and takes recovery longer. A cane can be really helpful and practice heel to toe walking. This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe.
It takes a concentrated effort, but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.
1630631531684.jpeg


Also, if you're experiencing pain when walking, think about adjusting your step and speed. Take smaller and slower steps than you might normally do until things have more time to heal. A lot can depend on how much damage had been done to your hip prior to surgery and if you were limping prior to surgery for how long.
 
Hi @ericson1998 I was just reading through your posts. We are the same age. I’m 14 weeks post surgery and 12 weeks post a dislocation. I have zero pain. I know everyone is different. If you have been sedentary for awhile it will feel painful to start being active. I started in small increments. 1 mile slow walk, then tried 10 min on elliptical, etc, until I gradually added more activity. Give yourself small goals, as long as you’re not overdoing it. At this point I’m about 90% back to normal. I’m still being cautious with my movements but I’m very active with no real pain. Feel free to reach out.
 
Hi @ericson1998 ,
So sorry to hear you have so much pain. I am four months out from my surgery and in the last two or three weeks I have experienced discomfort when walking any distance in spite of having seen ongoing progress up till now.
I had started some specific PT to correct gait with a focus on the adductor muscles and worry that this might be the cause. However I have been told that my poor gait when walking is hindering recovery so I need to work on it - hard to know how to proceed...
Like you I am hoping this is normal and things might start to improve again towards the six month mark. I think it is even more frustrating when you have been active previously. Maybe if we try to take things gently for the next couple of months recovery may start moving forward again.
Take care and I hope things improve for us and anyone else struggling
 
I quit my physical therapy when i had groin pain and everything got better. She was just pushing too hard. i dint think she was at the time but it really made a difference. I do water jogging and it does it hurt at all but is good for your upper body and hips. You might try it just once. Just google it. It really helps my mood! I know i am not out as far as you but I have heard backing off enough on this thread to know it works! And i am proof at 9 weeks.
 
Also there is some good info under the post op care for alternate pain control. I lived with CBD ointment that i rubbed in my painful groin area for many months before I had my surgery. I really feel for you and can see it could be depressing. Also there is info about depression on this site too.
 
Thank you for all the replies, I appreciate it. I hope it is true that eventually it will get better. I will keep you posted. Thanks.
 
I tried to make an appointment with several other surgeons and no one will see me. They reccomend that i go back to my surgeon. i am going to see my original surgeon soonest appointment which is next month. Has anyone here experienced pain after 4 months?
 
Oh, I am so sorry. This is a bit of what is called the Post Op blues.. Just try to remember and remind yourself that this is only temporary.
This isn't where you will end up. Truly. Give it the time that it needs to heal and seeon you will be working out with your son again.
There are many tendons, ligaments that are working hard to recover and regain their position inside of that hip.

It's never all or nothing in a joint recovery. Hang in there and here's an accurate description of the recovery process.

[Bonesmart.org] 4 months groin pain
 
I have to agree with Cricket - you just need to give this a bit more time. No surgeon will see you until you are at least 1 year out from surgery. Plenty of our members still had pain 4 month out. Patience my friend!
 
Thank you so much for the replies. I am going to try to be patient. I have an appointment with my original surgeon Nov. 23. There are days I feel less pain and some days such as yesterday I could barely walk. I am assuming this is normal. I do not want to sound like a whiner or baby. I am just worried and tired of feeling in pain all the time. Even worse not doing the things I enjoyed before. So I apologize if I sound like a complainer. I vent here because I know you guys all understand what I am going through because we are all riding the same boat lol.
 
I am so sorry. You are not a whiner or complainer, you have a legitimate concern. Given some days the pain is extreme enough that you can barely walk, I think it may be wise to consider calling your OS's office to see if you can schedule an appointment with your surgeon sooner than 5-6 weeks from now. I understand some days are better than others, but struggling with pain that makes it unbearable to walk deserves attention from your surgeon. Wishing you comfort and answers that lead to relief.
@ericson1998
 
I did call office and they can see me Nov. 1. If I for some reason have an infection could I wait that long to see doctor? Should I go to an E.R. hospital before that? Or could I just wait? I can tolerate the pain until then, I just dont know if it would make a difference in waiting 2 weeks or so.
 
I think you should share your concerns, in full, as you've expressed here, with your OS's office, possibly even your Primary Care Physician if possible and let them advise. Doing so may give you the peace of mind you're seeking. I am sorry you're dealing with the pain that you are and I wish you comfort and relief from pain. Please know we're here for you and stay in touch.
@ericson1998
 
@ericson1998 I was wondering if your pain went away? If so, how long did it take?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone I have not posted here in a While I hope everyone is doing well. It has been fourteen months since my hip replacement. The pain has never completely gone away. But I was doing better. Recently I developed A very painful groin pain and side pain. Went to see surgeon and said more than likely tendonitis and bursitis. He gave me steroid pills for a week and celebrex. I see him again in 6 weeks. Pain has gotten much better in four days however still have some pain just not as bad. Has any one gone through this? Will this be a permanent thing? Surgeon said I need to make my legs stronger. Any input from anyone? I am very frustrated. 2 years of dealing with pain pre op and now 1 year of pain post op. At 55 yrs old I can't do half the things I used to do or half the things my friends my age can do.
 
Hello and welcome back. I am sorry you’re hurting.
I am wondering if you’re exercising, involved in PT, or can trace the pain back to something physical that you engaged in?
Thankfully it is easing. Consider taking it easy for awhile longer and see if it improves even more.

Do either of these articles describe what you’re dealing with?

Wishing you speedy relief. Please stay in touch and let us know how you’re doing.

You will notice that we have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. Having your recovery information contained in one place will make it easier for you to reflect back on. It is also helpful for those stopping by to be able to review your history before advising or commenting.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
@ericson1998
 
I still get pains and they change many times depending on what I've done. My left gets more pains than my right but it was always weaker as it was the worst for decades. I also injured my left this year so it's again healing. I can do anything I want to do and some things I shouldn't do. I'm active and go to the gym but there's a certain amount of pain soreness that I feel will never go away but for me that's acceptable over what I had before.
 
Hello, @ericson1998 I think it's a good sign that you're feeling better after a few days on the steroid. It takes that long for your body to respond to an oral steroid. Following that up with the Celebrex, I'm hoping that you will see some marked improvement in your symptoms. The key here is to ease back on your usual exercise routine a bit to give those meds a chance to work. You don't have to stop, just don't take on anything new and/or be too vigorous in the usual exercises. I would ice those sore spots regularly. You also might want to start a gentle stretching program (but don't stretch after icing.) If anything causes you pain, then stop. If the OS didn't give you specific muscles and tendons, you can "google" groin pain, side hip pain and there are plenty of YouTube videos from PT people that address these. You can even go to the AAOS (American Association of Orthopedic Surgeons) site and they have some stretches for specific areas. You'll most likely be helped by "hip flexors" and "iliotibial (IT) band" stretches. I have had success with the above, along with the medications for some of the same issues that you're dealing with, even with my non-op side. That'll be the key: does the treatment help?

It is difficult when you get a general "you've got this, take these meds and see me in a few weeks." OS's forget that this is not run of the mill stuff for us. Do we need to : modify our exercise? do stretches and what kind for which muscles? do we need to wait on strengthening our legs until after the next follow-up? should I see a PT? Yes, it would be nice to have an idea of what the treatment plan is: this is what we'll do first and why; then this would be the next step. It just keeps you from having to operate in a vacuum.

I had tendinitis in that first year of recovery which required stepwise treatment over a few months. Since then, I have had only general aches and pains that come and go even this far out (4 years) but none requiring me to see my OS as they didn't limit me with my activities. You did the right thing in seeing your OS for something that was interfering with your life. Bursitis and tendinitis can be frustrating and take a bit of time to resolve but there are treatments. You're trying the first phase. It is likely that it will take care of the problem. That's why it's their "go to" first. You'll report your results at the follow-up and if something further is needed, then you'll go to phase II. Don't get too discouraged. This takes a lot of patience. I wish you the best going forward. Keep us posted on your progress.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom