THR 30 days and still recovering <

Just noticed your in Minnesota, that’s where I grew up, a small town near Duluth, Cloquet. Thanks for everything!
 
You're welcome, my pleasure! :)

I've been to Duluth and points beyond (North) many times.
Jessica Lange hails from Cloquet, as I'm sure you know.
She and Sam Shepherd later ended up living about 20 mins from us in Stillwater, Mn. for many years.
Ran into her once at Target and Sam at the local grocery store. My brush with fame. :heehee:

Hope you have a lovely Sunday! :wave:
@Marvin L
 
George, her brother was a friend of mine in high school, I remember when I went to their house, I always thought she was so pretty.
So I start PT today, overall I feel good, I’m so when I wake up, hip aches and it’s hard to walk, limp is bad, is this normal at 7 weeks? Still have problem with ankle hurting , slightly swollen and the itching is bothering me, GP prescribe hydrocortisone 2.5, have used it for 3 days, no relief yet, how long do topical steroids take to work? My pain today is in my hip, thigh and ankle. Pain comes n goes during the day, I thought by now it would be gone. I have to remember how much better I feel than a few weeks ago, how long before I will feel somewhat normal?
 
Ride's not over yet. You have to sneak up on reaching your feet after 6 weeks. Don't get too aggressive as it will hurt. It will be a while before you reach normal if there is such a thing. Stretching doesn't mean pushing the stretch until it hurts, because it will and it will hurt later. It's a real slow process to get the muscles to get more flexible and not hurt.
 
Hi @Marvin L
You're right, she is pretty. You can say you knew her back when, lol.

I think you'll find out today that your concerns are familiar to PT and they will most likely reassure you
that you're are still going to have some aches and pains at only 7 weeks post op.

I don't know how long it would take for the steroid cream to work. I suppose it depends on the strength of it for one. Possibly it won't work for you. Personally, I wouldn't use it anyway, I'd ice and elevate in an effort to get the swelling down, then the itching will most likely ease. That's just me, I don't like taking meds or using topical agents if I don't have to.

I think you probably do feel somewhat normal. Problem is, you want to feel perfect without any pain, swelling, itching or discomfort, which is understandable, we all do. Only thing is you can't expect that at this early date. Take the small victories as they come. Try really hard not to gauge progress day by day, but weekly instead. Consider keeping a weekly log, let's use Saturday as an example, when you sit and contemplate the way you're feeling, rate your pain etc then don't re-visit it until the following Saturday when you update it. See if you notice improvement that way.

Please don't overdo it at PT today. If it hurts, STOP. Comsider icing preventatively afterward also.
Let us know how it goes. Wishing you a good one!
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. Did PT today. They checked range of motion today, good hip is not that good but it works, I can cross the one to put on socks n tie shoes. Now the operated one doesn’t have much, yet, and then she had me do a couple stretches a a couple exercises. And of course, I hurt now. You all keep saying not to exercise it, but us men, think we need to do something to speed it along. She has me going twice a week for 8 weeks. Next one is on Tue, in the pool. The water therapy sounds good to me but I’m torn as to whether or not to do PT. Has anybody had and good results? Or am I just asking for trouble and pain?
 
@Marvin L i had right done on 6-10 and I am very sore ...small steps..limping and swelling in calf foot hip knee..stiff when getting up..aching and throbbing I tried to do too much last week and returned back to recliner for elevation and icing..I am finding out that everyone heals at different rates..I conceded to just” going with the flow”
 
It may be okay if you take it slow and easy. Be honest and tell the therapist that you're on the fence about it. If you set up perimeters from the beginning, explaining that if something hurts you're unwilling to do it, there shouldn't be any issue. It's not a "no pain, no gain" type of situation. Your body is injured and healing. Some members go to PT, thrive and like it. Others try it, don't like it and quit. Some never go. Not all surgeon's recommend it. You'll read varying opinions on PT here. I'd be remiss if I didn't share the BIG TIP from the Recovery Guidelines -

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

I recommend icing after your sessions. Keep a log of how you're feeling and if you start getting into more pain after a few sessions, you'll have your answer.
Have a great weekend!
@Marvin L
 
Thanks, this site is so helpful to me. I appreciate you all. If no PT how does the hip heal enough where I would be able to tie my shoes, that’s my biggest hang up, now. I like laced tennis shoes that I can tighten the laces. How about stretching out the muscles with out therapy. Anyway, I’m going to at least go to the pool session , see what that’s like.
 
Just remember - it is easy to over do it in the pool because movement is so much easier.
Start out slow and see how it goes.
@Marvin L
 
I think it was Mojo that said to a carpenter everything is a nail and to physical therapists everything is more exercise and no pain no gain. It's your hip and your pain. Easy stretches that don't chance dislocation will get it looser. I have a pool but it was later before I could go in because of the weather. I liked walking in the pool and had a friend that had a THR that did a lot of walking in the pool at his gym.
 
Had a lot of pain yesterday, think from PT. Just checking range of motion hurt. Feeling better this morning. Still sleeping a lot. I thought that this would be over at 2 months but now I don’t think so. Those of you that have completely recovered, how many months did it take? Is 3 months a fair expectation?
 
Morning @Marvin L. I'm just starting my third week not much pain in thigh just stiffness, however my knee is the one that complains the most. I didn't do PT after my right hip till 6 weeks post op and then because I was still limping some. They did some easy massage along the incision area to loosen the muscles and lessen the hardness of the scar tissue. It worked wonders in eliminating the limp and I was then able to stretch ham string. I plan on doing the same this time with something for my knee as I didn't have knee issue before. Steady as you go even in the pool.
 
Hi @Marvin L - my expectation having spoken to fitness instructors who had THR was at least 12 months for full recovery. I was very active before OA struck and I have been active from 6 weeks post-op. I am now 9 months post-op and continuing to see improvements albeit they are more subtle now. At 3 months I was pretty mobile and could walk fast but still got aches, pains and stiffness. There was quite a lot of improvement in months 4 and 5 and by month 6 I was going up pretty tough mountains and playing golf. Most of the aches had gone by then but still some way to go to get full fitness and I still struggle to run well (although running is not on my agenda).

We are all different but 3 months does seem unrealistic for full recovery. It takes time but trust me it is well worth the wait.
 
Focus on the holidays as a halfway point. Roast turkey and all the trimmings, time spent with loved ones. The sights, sounds, smells. Then Christmas...celebrating Christ's birth, the tree, the presents, more celebration...you should be feeling pretty good by then, but still not completely healed.
It takes time and patience. You'll get there though....you're on your way! :happydance:
@Marvin L
 
Anybody have constipation, if so what have you done for relief?
I’m sure you already have it resolved now, but I ended up using a suppository to relieve the constipation. The twice daily stool softener didn’t do the trick! As far as your swollen calf, with pain- that would concern me. Pain in the calf and behind the knee could be an indication of a blood clot. But I’m sure that’s all resolved by now!
 
Feeling a lot better. 1 month ago, I had to have a friend drive me to the dr. Today, no problem going by myself. I have found that comparing weekly is the way to go. I just have some aching in my hip and ankle still hurts some and itching is slowly getting better. I am healing nicely. I will be good before I realize it, soon.
This site has been wonderful.
 
A great report @Marvin L ! I am in complete agreement with you - however hard it might be at times, patience is the key. There are peaks and troughs along the way, but we are steadily making progress.
 
@Marvin L Did you have regular posterior? My step son works with my OS, on knees and hips, tho not mine. He said my OS finger splits the muscle to get to the hip joint. I'm guessing that is one of the gluteus muscles. Anyway since 8 weeks out I started working outside a lot, digging, pushing a wheelbarrow full of dirt and other things like repetitive bending. My gluteus muscles are now very sore in the morning, hard to put weight on surgery leg. I stand about 2 feet from the wall, feet a foot apart, and with my hands about a yard apart I bend forward gently and touch the wall in front of me, I feel the stretch in my glutes. It hurts but not like if I just try to take off walking right out of bed. After doing this several times, holding for a count of 15, as many reps as it takes to get the blood flowing and loosen them up, I can walk normal with only slight discomfort. My knee has hurt since surgery, so who knows when that will heal? I'm 9 weeks out and I'm sure it will be awhile before my gluteus muscles get back in shape. My nonsurgical leg is fine.
So don't worry too much, it's a snail's progress, especially if you had posterior and had the muscle finger split.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom