BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] 30 days and still recovering <

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Marvin L, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Marvin L

Marvin L member

United States United States
    I had mine done on June 5, the hip aches but tolerable, my problem is the swelling, my ankle is so swollen, can get shoes on, calf is very swollen with extreme pain, amer is swollen too. My calf pain is the hardest. Anybody have any suggestions on swelling? Also foot is black n blue. Thank you,
    Marvin

2. Marvin L

Marvin L member

How long before I switch from a walker to a cane? Also, how long before the swelling in the leg goes down? My foot, ankle , calf n knee hurt and behind the knees also hurt.
    Marvin

3. Marvin L

Marvin L member

Anybody have constipation, if so what have you done for relief?

4. Marvin L

Marvin L member

I’m 12 days out and have a lot of swelling. Last night my calf hurt a lot! And my hip aches. And to top things off, I’ve been constipated and this morning developed a bleeding hemorrhoid, no idea how to treat that. Anybody else had similar problems? Feedback is greatly appreciated.

5. Tarajeane

Tarajeane junior member

Swelling and pain is normal unfortunately. Tell your dr he can give you a prescription for constipation. It’s from all the medication. Also eat prunes it helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. SE Florida

SE Florida post-grad

@Marvin L, Welcome to the forum! It's good to see you started your own thread and there's a lot of answers you can find here. One of the forum advisors will be on here shortly to give you the Recovery Guidelines which includes several useful links regarding your pain and swelling. The biggest thing for the swelling is to elevate your leg and ice for 40 to 60 minutes at least 4 times a day. Put the ice wherever you have the pain; sometimes it takes more than one ice pack at a time! Also if you're doing any PT, you may want to stop doing it since you're already in pain. Take your meds as prescribed as well. The first 2 or 3 weeks, you should mainly be resting with short walks to the bathroom, kitchen, etc. Hope you will rest, elevate and try the ice. It does help!

7. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @Marvin L Welcome to the other side. Can you please give me the exact date of your surgery and which hip? I'll pop the information in your signature for you.

All that you are experiencing is post op pain. Are you icing and elevating? Taking your pain medication as prescribed, around the clock?

Unfortunately constipation is a side effect of many pain medications. Here's a thread from our Library on it. Try stool softeners, increase fluid intake and fibre in your diet.

Here is your recovery reading list to refer to:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
    5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
    6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Energy drain for THRs
    Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

8. Calgal

Calgal member

These 2 OTC remedies worked wonders for me (and no I don't get commission from these companies! ) 1. Anusol, a good internal and external slather as needed. 2. Senna tablets, 2 each night. And drink LOTS of water. Good luck!

9. Eman85

Eman85 post-grad

Can't help in the constipation and other ailments. As far as swelling and pain goes much depends on what you've been doing and how much you've been resting,elevating and icing. I hope you do realize that 2 weeks is the very beginning of the journey.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  10. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    @Marvin L
    I have copied your post about being constipated from Mayhip8's recovery thread, and put it in your own thread.
    Please don't ask questions about your own recovery in someone else's thread.

By putting the above post in her recovery thread, you were disrupting her thread, which should be about her own recovery.
    Forum etiquette: being polite when posting

Please post any updates or questions about your recovery in your own thread. We will see them there, as someone checks all the new posts every day.
    If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
    How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Just in case you couldn't find your thread, here are the instructions on finding your thread,
    How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Marvin L

Marvin L member

My surgery was June 5th, 2019, on my left hip.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Thanks for providing the surgery date @Marvin L
    Please read the Recovery Guidelines, Jaycey, left above if you haven't already.
    Pay particular attention to ICE and ELEVATE as it will help with the pain and swelling you've described.
    Ice any / all areas that hurt.

You also mentioned Constipation. Following is another article she left in case you missed it -
    http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/constipation-and-stool-softeners.4899/

Google: Treating Hemorrhoids for ideas on how to ease the discomfort you're dealing with. I'm sure you'll find many remedies from OTC to more natural if interested.

Have a great week!

13. Layla

What are you taking for blood clot prevention?

Are you wearing TEDS?

Be aware of the signs of Blood Clots:
    Pain or tenderness in your leg
    Swelling or warmth in your leg
    Red or discolored skin on your leg
    Veins that stick out
    Shortness of breath
    Coughing up blood
    Sudden chest pain
    Painful breathing

I'm not trying to alarm you, just a FYI

If you continue to experience the pain you've described above you may want to check with the office of your OS. Possibly your meds need adjusting to help with the pain you describe.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Marvin L

Marvin L member

Thanks for the advice. I had a sonogram, imaging of my calf for a dot, it was negative, thank God. It’s 145 in the morning and I just woke up with calf pain. It’s considerably worse than my hip. I don’t know what to do? I elevate it and put ice on it , until it’s numb. Is it the swelling that causes the pain. How long before the swelling gets better? They have me on 81mg aspirin 2 times a day. Is there a dr that specializes in swelling? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

15. Marvin L

Marvin L member

I’m getting scared, the calf pain is so intense, it’s not like a muscle spasm, it’s like somebody’s poking I sharp object on it. If it just normal calf pain caused by swelling, I can deal with it, I just don’t know what to expect. Anybody else had severe calf pain, my gets worse when I’m sleeping. Please tell me your pain from swelling, how intense the pain was.

16. Layla

Good Morning,
    When did you have the sonogram of your calf?

I think you should phone the office of your OS when it opens this morning, asking to leave a message for a member of your surgeon's care team to contact you. They will decide through conversation whether you need to be seen, need to adjust any meds you're on etc.

Swelling is a form of pain. Are you elevating and icing as directed? Forty to Sixty minutes, no less, several times daily?
    @Marvin L

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Does massaging it help?
    Do you think it could be from a new gait..the muscles in my shins would hurt when I walked a bit much...as I was properly walking after years of not striking heel to toe.
    Maybe you could try some heat?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Marvin L

Marvin L member

Thanks, I will call the surgeons office when they open. And I will ask if I can use heat.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Layla

Good to hear. Let us know what they say...
    @Marvin L

20. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

Elevation may help here. Swelling is indeed causing your pain. Are you taking any medication for pain?