Guest viewing is limited

TKR 3 years post op

I don’t know. I had bilateral TKR on July 6th. My right leg likes to turn out. It still does. I was really worried about it for a long time because I had horrible behind the knee pain in my right leg due to a super tight hamstring. After I finished PT at 13 weeks post op, the hamstring pain slowly started to wane. At almost 19 weeks post op, behind my right knee barely hurts at all any more. I really believe that the soft tissue needs 12 full months to heal.
 
@Mrs. Ciz

Thank you for sharing that with me. I have been so worried. I am 12 weeks so it seems I have to hold on just a few weeks more.
 
Is anyone taking gabapentin ? Pcp just prescribed it. Does it really help? How?
 
Is anyone taking gabapentin ? Pcp just prescribed it. Does it really help? How?
Gabapentin is usually prescribed for nerve pain. I found it very effective post RTHR. It also relieved my lower back pain.
 
Hi All!
I need advice. I’m going to my OS today and at 12 weeks I do not feel I can return to my healthcare job which is very demanding physically, I unfortunately ruptured a calf muscle 2 weeks into my recovery and just this week the pain has eased up.
I need some talking points to plead my case for extending my disability. Any input would be appreciated.
 
Im so sorry you experienced that.

Tell him what you just wrote. Tell him you’re just not physically ready. Hopefully he will be understanding.
 
Well today I am 65. Ugh such a number when your brain is saying your 30. Anyway, I over did it yesterday cooking my famous stuffing and turkey. My husband did a lot of the prep but I was still standing for hours with a few short breaks to ice and elevate . I have to tell you my leg swelled up and had pain enough to take one of my lasts Hydro’s but I didn’t as I suspect I will need them when I go back to work in 3 weeks. I was however amazed how much pain I was in and am wondering if anyone has any tips on getting thru my first weeks back to work?
 
wondering if anyone has any tips on getting thru my first weeks back to work?
We recommend that you start back at part-time for the first couple of weeks at least. PT should be stopped once you are back to work, too, cause just getting ready for work, working, and getting back home is PT enough. Also, limit your activities at home until your knee adjusts to your being back to work.
 
Well today I am 65.
Happy Birthday!!! :loveshwr: I turn 65 an a couple of months.

I totally agree with sistersinhim’s advice about when you are back to work.
 
Hello All,

I am due back to work soon and still taking gabapentin which does make me feel drowsy. I do not nap but I'm concerned about feeling drowsy at work. I have a front line Health care job and do not want to be at all drowsy at work.
Has anyone been on gabapentin like me, 3 times a day? If so, did you ween off or still on after going back to work?
 
hi all,

I’m having horrid right sided back pain. Had LTK august 17 and was doing well but now this back pain has me flat on my back in bed. Help!
 
@Nancan
Sorry to hear you are having horrid back pain, ice may help along with a TEN's machine if you have one. You can also try an OTC pain medication, and/or topical ointments/patches applied to the painful area.
Be sure you are out of bed to keep moving periodically during the day.

I hope you start feeling better soon.
 
You have to wean off of gabapentin. Don’t decide to just stop taking it. I used to take gabapentin during the day but now I take all three of them at bedtime so I’m not drowsy during the day. I’m a nurse and I can’t be affected by any side effects from my medication during my work shifts.
 
Thank you @pumpkin and @newlybionic for your replies I appreciate them very much. I didn’t know there was an option to take more than one of the gabapentins at night I will confer with pcp about that option. As for my back it seems to have cleared up after I laid flat on my bed and made sure my pelvis was even on both sides. It took awhile to do but after I did it my pain was gone! I say worth a try if your having back pain .
So, I have a new question??????
I’m trying to decide since I NOW have the option whether to go back to work ( physically demanding healthcare job) with reduced hours for two weeks which will cause issues with the schedule or take the extra two weeks and simulate my work activities at home ie getting up same time as work days getting dressed and driving to clinic. Walking at least 2-3 miles, sitting for 20-30 minutes at a time then standing and walking etc. I know it’s not exactly the same but it will help them out at work and I really want to come back on good terms. What do you all think?
 
If you can take an extra two weeks off, that would be best for a successful return to work. Keeping up your walking and sitting schedule will help you get in shape for work. Plan on spending your first few evenings and weekends recovering from work, as you get back in shape.
We also recommend a Phased return to work .
All the best with what ever you decide.
 
Hi Guys!

I NEED Help! I have been back to work for a month doing good but starting yesterday I have been having severe pain ( zingers like I used to have in the exact same spot before surgery). I don’t know what to think. Any ideas? I I have not done anything out of the ordinary.
 
Does rest, ice and elevation relieve this pain? Are you doing any heavy lifting at work? Think back - it's always the last new activity.
 
@Jaycey
Hmmm, come to think of it, I did go for a walk with a very mild incline, maybe going down the incline? Also, I have never and I mean never been not swollen is that weird or normal.
 
Hi Nancan I’ve also started with these horrid zinger pains where my original pain started. I’m thinking it’s prob nerve endings waking up.,I’m only 12 days p. Hope yours clear up
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom